Sonya Kitchell & The Slip Tour

Sonya Kitchell and The Slip to Create a Storm this Fall

Sonya Kitchell
Sonya Kitchell will hit the road this fall on a headlining U.S. tour with rock trio The Slip as her backing band. Fresh from a summer world tour as the featured vocalist in Herbie Hancock's band, the 19-year-old singer, songwriter and guitarist will be touring behind her new album This Storm, out September 2 on Decca/Velour, on which The Slip's Andrew and Brad Barr perform. With the ace band behind her, Kitchell will debut a set of more muscular, driving songs on her 31-date tour.

This Storm is the follow-up to Kitchell¹s critically-acclaimed debut Words Came Back To Me, about which People magazine raved, "Kitchell is destined for great things." The debut went on to sell over 80,000 copies in the U.S.A. and led to major exposure on the Late Show with David Letterman, Craig Ferguson, CNN, and NPR's All Things Considered, in addition to across-the-board raves from the music press.

Sonya Kitchell & The Slip Fall Tour Dates

10.24 Fri San Francisco, CA The Independent
10.26 Sun Los Angeles, CA Roxy Theater
10.27 Mon San Diego, CA Belly Up Tavern
10.28 Tue Tucson, AZ Club Congress
10.30 Thu Austin, TX The Parish
11.01 Sat Atlanta, GA Smith's Tavern
11.02 Sun Nashville, TN 3rd & Lindsley (WRLT event)

[Published on: 7/30/08]

Comments

‹^› ‹(•¿•)› ‹^› {¬¿¬} Wed 7/30/2008 09:42AM

what a strange pairing.

Natey starstarstarstarstar Wed 7/30/2008 09:47AM

Natey

Sweet. I am exciting to see how this will sound.

brienza66 Wed 7/30/2008 10:20AM

I thought the slip was from boston???

jasonthehead starstarstarstarstar Wed 7/30/2008 10:31AM

jasonthehead

^^^^^^^^^^^ From Boston, based in Montreal.

This sounds great to me! I don't know a thing about Sonya Kitchell, but I will gladly take anything I can get from The Slip! I saw this news yesterday, on a few different sites, but his is the only place I have found the actual tour dates! Thanks for that!

See y'all SUN 10/26 at The Roxy!

KCReb Wed 7/30/2008 10:47AM

KCReb

Damn - TV on the Radio plays the same night in Austin. Decisions decisions. Will The Slip play a full set or just play backing band?

bluefox starstarstarstarstar Wed 7/30/2008 11:03AM

bluefox

This looks interesting for sure, I will be checking out the Independent. That said as much as I love Surprise Me Mr. Davis and possibly I will love Sonya Kitchell as well what I REALLY want is to see The Slip play as The Slip!!!! High Sierra was a nice little taste, even if they were a little rusty but I need my Slip fix bad.... Come on guys, I know you needed a break but we want our Slip back!!!!!!!!!!!

phishphreak77 Wed 7/30/2008 11:45AM

phishphreak77

actually, they're from RI.

phanatic2 starstarstarstarstar Wed 7/30/2008 12:46PM

OK OK OK OK,,,,,the Slip originated in Boston, where some of them attended, but didnt graduate from Berklee but moved to Rhode Island where they found there fan base and following.

theres a link to the official Bio

JibmastaJ starstarstarstarstar Wed 7/30/2008 02:19PM

im pretty sure they are from RI and formed in boston when they went to berklee or something like that. anyways like blue fox stated earlier, i need the SLIP!! come on guys i love S.M.M.D. but its been way too long since i heard the trio together live

peaton Wed 7/30/2008 03:46PM

peaton

they met at Tabor Academy in MA, and then attended Berklee but dropped out. They originated in Boston, but I don't know where you'd say they're based. I wonder if they'll play Slip songs or her songs or both? I'm kinda with bluefox, I'm pumped for this, but its been too long since I've seen the slip just as the slip.

EVILFUNK starstarstarstarstar Wed 7/30/2008 04:09PM

EVILFUNK

the who? from wehre?

rowena004 Thu 7/31/2008 06:09PM

rowena004

I first heard The Slip about 6 years ago- I still remember hearing Rythm and Gold for the first time back in college- That whole album "Does" I think it was was pretty good and then I heard their new album and its totally not how I remembered them- Ive had friends though that have seen them live and raved about it- I think Ill either check out the Fox show or the Denver show-

phrazz starstarstarstarstar Tue 8/5/2008 05:10PM

phrazz

This is a very interesting collaboration and not strange at all, IMO. I'm psyched about the many of the venues...a good mix of theatres, clubs and cafes.

Actually, the original band "The Slip" is from (was founded at) Tabor Academy, in Marion, MA...but many people (incl. BAM) say they're from Rhodie or Boston. Two live in Montreal now (brothers)...but Marc is from Ohio! :) "Based", "originated", "from", etc are all ambiguous...not like "born", which is much harder to argue (s'debateable, eh?)

For you Wiki hounds: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Slip_%28band%29