Garcia & Houser Celebrated in CO

Jerry Garcia & Michael Houser Celebrated at Cervante's in Colorado

Jerry Garcia by Jay Blakesberg
These are very tumultuous times. International wars, gas prices, a plummeting stock market, and growing global environmental concerns have made it easy to become numb to everything around us. It is times like these that we look to our heroes, past and present, for guidance and leadership. Two shows in Denver, Saturday August 9 and Sunday the 10, are celebrating the life and music of two such heroes.

Jerry Garcia of the Grateful Dead was always a supporter of environmental causes and a voice for social and political growth. Garcia's music was the soundtrack for many people through four decades of change in America. Saturday, August 9 marks the 13th Anniversary of Garcia's passing, and Cervantes' Masterpiece Ballroom brings you the "U.S. Blues Americana Circus." The show will celebrate American songwriters and songs for, by, and about America, with a heavier "dose" of Grateful Dead songs. C. R. Gruver (Outformation), Tori Pater (Polytoxic), Fleeb (Stanky Pockets), and Andy Clapp (3 Degrees of Freedom) will host a cavalcade of all-star musical guests and surprises. Opening the show is Woody Pines and the Lonesome Two, a 20's & 30's jump and jugband ragtime act from Asheville, NC.

Another fallen musical hero, Michael Houser of Widespread Panic, also became a pillar for many people and provided Panic's lingering lead through over two decades, for music still continuing into the present day. Sunday, August 10 marks the 6th year of Houser's passing, and Cervante's Masterpiece brings you "Songs for Mikey," a celebration of the life and music of Michael Houser. This show features guitarist Sam Holt, Houser's guitar tech and leader of national touring act Outformation. Joining him will be C. R. Gruver and Jeff "Bridogg" Lane, also of Outformation. To round the band out is Tori Pater from local favorite Polytoxic and Spanky Mcluer from the band One Way Out.

Both shows take place at Cervante's Masterpiece Ballroom (2637 Welton St. Denver, CO) and start at 10 p.m. For tickets and info go to: www.cervantesmasterpiece.com

[Published on: 7/24/08]

Comments

nsafay Thu 7/24/2008 11:36AM

R.I.P. to both of these great musicians. Both have inspired me and brought me to look at myself in very humble ways. I love the music they made. I'll never forget where I was when I heard of both their passings.

granola starstarstarstarstar Thu 7/24/2008 11:40AM

Thats always been creepy to me that those two legends died one day apart from each other. Thier music changed my life for the better and they will never be forgotten

evenfurtherproductions Thu 7/24/2008 11:46AM

THE SAME NIGHT NEXT DOOR AT QUIXOTE'S WAVY GRAVY WILL HOST 13 YEARS ILLUMINATED A TRIBUTE THROUGHT SIGHT SOUND AND FEELINGS BANDS INCLUDE ACOUSTIC FLYER and 3WIRE(Ragtime Dead-grass Covers) AND MASTER OF CERAMONIES WAVY GRAVY!!!!!! A VERY SPECIAL LIGHT AND MOVIE PRESENTATION BY THE INNER LIGHT MEDICINE SHOW evenfurtherprodcutions.com

Dnumde Thu 7/24/2008 12:07PM

Dnumde

RIP to those who showed us that no matter what, only love can give. I can't thank both these individuals, both of whom I have never met, enough. God Bless and never forget.

sunnbear starstarstarstarstar Thu 7/24/2008 01:06PM

sunnbear

I just doesn't seem like 13 years. When I think of the day, my heart aches now, just as it did then. I miss Jerry terribly. He was like a family member - a favorite uncle, if you will. My kids, who are much, much too young to ever have seen him, have a sweet poster of "Uncle Jerry" on their bedroom wall. They listen to him nightly. My six year olds favs are Ripple and Brokedown Palace. Damn good taste for a kid, huh? I miss Mikey also. I never saw him play, but it was the earlier studio albums that turned me on to Panic. Definately two amazing people that should have never left us so soon! R.I.P.

blower starstarstarstarstar Thu 7/24/2008 01:20PM

"The Captain said women and children first, I guess thats not me"-

M. Houser

God bless two of the brightest lights in my life!

Chaloupka starstarstarstarstar Thu 7/24/2008 01:31PM

Chaloupka

R.I.P.

and

R.I.P.

MOERON10 Thu 7/24/2008 02:20PM

THOSE GUYS WERE UNFORGETABLE.RIP

breadloaf starstarstarstarstar Thu 7/24/2008 02:28PM

sunnbear, when my daughter was little we took her to see the Dead at the Greek and they pulled out a Dark Star. Not that she even remembers it exactly, but she has some sweet bragging rights around her pals. I take it as a personal mission to play and pass along Jerry's classic collection of songs, original and otherwise.

chuckus starstarstarstarstar Thu 7/24/2008 02:52PM

Two of my absolute favs...never forget where I was either nsafay (was in Boone, NC when Jerry died, and the town didn't necessarily shut down, but pretty much the whole place was in mourning/celebrating his life---and when Houser died, my phone prolly received more text messages in a couple hours than it does in a normal year)...What a great idea Cervante's! Wish I was in Denver.

sunnbear Thu 7/24/2008 04:51PM

sunnbear

breadloaf, I feel the same way. We play just about every kind of music in our house. Especially Jerry's. But NO Brittney Spears allowed!

Tpetty starstarstar Thu 7/24/2008 08:34PM

Tpetty

It be cooler if The Dead and Panic played a show, instead....

ReeDiddy starstarstarstarstar Thu 7/24/2008 11:31PM

ReeDiddy

A wonderful tribute to two great men. Slowly but surely, Colorado is becoming Panic's 2nd home. With NYE , it'll be 8 shows in one year. Is Georgia getting jealous? I guess it makes sense, the boys are aging and CO is Florida for hippies.

‹^› ‹(•¿•)› ‹^› {¬¿¬} starstarstarstarstar Fri 7/25/2008 04:26AM

both of these musicians changed my life completely.

I found an unbelievable amount of magic in each of their respective styles, and I miss them with all my heart and soul.

redhed starstarstarstarstar Fri 7/25/2008 04:59AM

redhed

Jerry was one of the most unique and inspiring people to ever live in my opinion. R.I.P.

jtaylor365 starstarstarstarstar Fri 7/25/2008 07:14AM

jtaylor365

Denver is allways doing cool shit like this, earlier they had a Widespread Panic day! Also, that's a great pic of jerry

breadloaf starstarstarstarstar Fri 7/25/2008 01:28PM

I have to say that this thread is the most deeply felt and respectful of any on this site in years. Thanks to all of you for the kind words of inspiration for these two gentle giants, and let them remind us to make our own music, too. Here in Vermont, the great trio Honeywell just did a stellar Scarlet Begonias last night, was very touching. May we all be going deep and strong on Jerry's Birthday coming up shortly!

blower starstarstarstar Fri 7/25/2008 04:55PM

Breadloaf-My daughter's 1st concert (other than HSMF)at 1 month was WSP and the Greek, unfortunately after the Housers passing.

I also remember that Aug 9th. I was at Autzen Stadium seeing DMB at the exact place I last saw Jerry.

MyFavBandIsTheBestYoursSucks Fri 8/1/2008 09:50AM

MyFavBandIsTheBestYoursSucks

I miss Jerry & Michael

JeremyPelican Wed 8/13/2008 10:59AM

Need a miracle? Well, here it is! The answer to your prayers: The Holy Grail of lost Grateful Dead treasures.

The wait is over: Dead "extended family" member and legendary San Francisco journeyman Bill Cutler finally unveils “Crossing The Line,” his four-decades-in-the-making solo record. You've heard about these mythical tracks, now fully experience this once-private stash of 14 "American beauties" evoking musical giants such as Jackson Browne, The Band, The Dead, and Dire Straits.

Mind-blowing guest appearances -- a veritable all-time, all-star dream team of fabled talent -- include none other than Jerry Garcia, Bob Weir, Jorma Kaukonen (Jefferson Airplane), Matthew Kelly (Kingfish), Jerry Miller (Moby Grape), David Nelson (New Riders of the Purple Sage), and Mark Karan (RatDog, The Other Ones), and singer-songwriter/guitarist/vocalist Cutler.