WSP Joins GA Music Hall of Fame

WIDESPREAD PANIC INDUCTED INTO RANKS OF
ALLMAN BROTHERS, R.E.M. AND RAY CHARLES

WSP 04.29.08 by John Zara
Widespread Panic will be inducted into the Georgia Music Hall of Fame at the 30th Georgia Music Hall of Fame Awards Show on Saturday, September 20th in Atlanta, GA.

The show will broadcast live on Georgia Public Broadcasting and will include a special performance from the band. Past inductees include Ray Charles, Gladys Knight, R.E.M. and the Allman Brothers Band as well as industry professionals such as music attorney Joel Katz and record label owner Antonio "L.A." Reid.

"Sharing this honor with so many of our greatest musical influences is something I'm sure none of the band members imagined when we first started making music together. September 20th is going to be a truly special day for the entire Widespread Panic Family," says Widespread's John Bell.

Widespread Panic was founded in Athens, GA in 1986 and has since become a national touring force that has landed in Pollstar’s Top 50 tours of the year for the past decade, sold three million albums and played over 2,374 shows over their career. Despite thousands of concerts, the band has managed to never perform the same set list twice.

The 30th Annual Awards Banquet will be held at the Thomas B. Murphy Ballroom of the Georgia World Congress Center in Atlanta. The banquet is hosted each year by the Friends of Georgia Music Festival, Inc. and the Senate Music Industry Committee. Friends of Georgia Music Festival, Inc. is a non-profit organization that honors the many achievements of Georgia musicians, songwriters, composers, conductors, publishers and agents. Each year, Friends of Georgia Music nominates, elects and inducts honorees into the Georgia Music Hall of Fame, celebrating individuals who have made a significant contribution to Georgia’s musical traditions. Friends of Georgia Music also provides scholarships to assist future musicians, songwriters and composers to continue their education and pursue their dreams.

[Published on: 7/18/08]

Comments

chuckus starstarstarstarstar Fri 7/18/2008 09:35AM

Truly a class act. Congrats to WSP!

chuckus Fri 7/18/2008 09:37AM

GlassWorks you son of a bitch. That was gonna be my first ever first post! Just kiddin, though. Have fun in SC dude.

WillieWampus Fri 7/18/2008 09:40AM
ReeDiddy starstarstarstarstar Fri 7/18/2008 09:44AM

ReeDiddy

Show # 2500 is only a few tours away.

thomsawyer Fri 7/18/2008 09:53AM

Believe it or not, the GA Music Hall of Fame is a big controversy here in Macon, Ga. The actual museum and Hall of Fame is in Macon, GA but the induction ceremonies like this are held in Atlanta. Its a huge mess Macon trying to get the ceremony moved down to Macon (the most musically rich town in all of Georgia hands down) and benefit the actual Hall of Fame in the process instead of just pumping more money in Atlanta when its the Georgia Hall of Fame for all of Georgia to enjoy instead of just Atlanta getting everything. Other than that, Congrats to WSP. I'm not the biggest fan but I sure respect them.

gmoo Fri 7/18/2008 11:08AM

gmoo

They guys deserve every second of success.

MOERON10 Fri 7/18/2008 11:43AM

Anybody know mikeys last show.

I_Drink_It_Up starstarstarstarstar Fri 7/18/2008 12:16PM

I_Drink_It_Up

Woo! Congrats Panic

Andrew W. Fri 7/18/2008 12:31PM

Andrew W.

Mikey's last show was 07/02/02 U.S. Cellular Center, Cedar Rapids, IA

Set I: One Arm Steve, Pigeons, Airplane, Sleeping Man, Wondering, Rock, This Part Of Town, Papa's Home> Worry

Set II: Can't Get High, Fishwater, Can't Find My Way Home> Blackout Blues, Christmas Katie> I Walk On Guilded Splinters> Drums> Bear's Gone Fishin', I'm Not Alone, Makes Sense To Me

Encore: She Caught The Katy

Chaloupka starstarstarstarstar Fri 7/18/2008 01:17PM

Chaloupka

Go Home Team!

MyFavBandIsTheBestYoursSucks starstarstarstarstar Fri 7/18/2008 01:55PM

MyFavBandIsTheBestYoursSucks

Nice, Im suprised it took this long. Unfortunately I missed that last show for Micheal @ "The Five Seasons Center" My last show was Bonnaroo 1. How bout that Tall Boy. WOW! Back in the day they used to play IA twice a year, so fun!

Daddyphatsacks Fri 7/18/2008 02:59PM

Daddyphatsacks

Much deserved. These guys have put in their time. What about Outkast? Maybe in a few years if they get their shit back together.

BlowsAgainsttheEmpire starstarstarstarstar Fri 7/18/2008 05:21PM

BlowsAgainsttheEmpire

WSP deserves/has earned this for their songwriting alone. I've been to the HOF once when they dedicated Duane Allman Boulevard and Raymond Berry Oakley III Bridge in I think . . . 2001. LOTS of history in that museum. Visit it if you get the chance.

urbhead420 Sat 7/19/2008 08:14AM
pbandJAM7 Sat 7/19/2008 10:31AM

congrats panic. my love for this band can not be expressed enough. the knoxville shows were some of the greatest shows i have seen by any band ever. truley remarkable music. JB for president anyone?

can't wait for the fall

easterluke starstarstarstarstar Sat 7/19/2008 01:58PM

Holy shit urbhead420, I think we might have something in common...nope, we're all just potheads, some of us suck balls (literally , which is quite fun) and some of us suck balls (metaphorically, which is a lot worse). What is your fucking purpose in here dude??? This ain't no jerkoff website.

nsafay Sat 7/19/2008 03:38PM

Congrats Panic!

drobinson41 Sat 7/19/2008 08:49PM

Athens is the most music rich town in Georgia not Macon.

jjimigg star Sat 7/19/2008 11:49PM
the Horse starstarstarstarstar Mon 7/21/2008 05:31AM

the Horse

If overrated equals going strong for over 20 years, selling out Red Rocks more that any other band, releasing 10 albums, be rated in the top 50 touring acts for eight years straight and hosting a free album release party for 100,000 fans then yes they are. There is no reason to go on and on. Some people just don't get it and never will.

PANIC!!!

Lenox Mon 7/21/2008 07:34AM

Lenox

" drobin28 Sat 7/19/2008 08:49PM

Athens is the most music rich town in Georgia not Macon."

I was just about to say that.

breckenridgejam Mon 7/21/2008 11:00AM

breckenridgejam

ELE - Everybody Love Everybody

threef starstarstarstarstar Mon 7/21/2008 12:15PM

IF you ever go to the GEorgia Music Hall of Fame they have a pair of JB's shoes that must have been "a pair of shoes to last threw may. The biggest holes in those slipper. I am so happy the boes have made it. Nice one!

phatdoc Mon 7/21/2008 03:03PM

I actually enjoy witnessing the stupidity demonstrated by Urbhead420. Anyone who lists PHIX, DSO, or any other cover band as favorite artists has no musical knowledge or credibility whatsoever.

dbrannon Mon 7/21/2008 03:33PM

thomsawyer, you obviously haven't been to the great city of Athens, GA if you think Macon is the most music rich town in GA. I, personally, think Macon is a waste of space. They should move the Hall of Fame to Athens because that is where some of the best music started and is still there today. Macon is just a spot on I-75 to me.

easterluke Mon 7/21/2008 05:04PM

ELE??? That's impossible. Hate is just as real as love. I love. I hate. So do you silly hippie.

drumStark Tue 7/22/2008 06:59AM

drumStark

Why does it matter if someone likes DSO? I'm just saying, they may be a cover band, but they are still extremely talented. And congrats to WSP. They deserve it.

breckenridgejam Tue 7/22/2008 07:20AM

breckenridgejam

It's from the movie Semi-Pro, you dunce... Just like I knew somebody was going to hate on my comment.

‹^› ‹(•¿•)› ‹^› {¬¿¬} Wed 7/23/2008 04:02AM

my last Mikey show was ROO 2002 with steve winwood!!!

rowena004 Sat 7/26/2008 08:37PM

rowena004

Athens Georgia- Home of the most ridiculous haircuts and the shortest dudes shorts- Macon is just about the same-