The Avett Brothers: The Second Gleam

By: Dennis Cook

Rife with life lessons and simmering spirit, The Second Gleaming (released July 22 on Ramseur Records), the new EP from The Avett Brothers harnesses the power of the quiet and unleashes it in sauntering acoustic strums and wood smoked crooning. Known to rage and ramble live, this is a glimpse into the pre-dawn conversations of Seth and Scott Avett (sans brother from another mother, bassist Bob Crawford), a series of glowing snapshots of their hearts and ever-pondering minds, their inner Gordon Lightfoots set loose on pure folky stuff.

Unabashedly romantic in places, they also inject soft humor, opening cuts with curveball weirdness like "If I get murdered in the city/ Don't go revenging in my name." But the presiding mood is wistful, yearning, intimately true.

I remember crying over you
And I don't mean a couple of tears and I'm blue
I'm talking collapsing and screaming at the moon
But I'm a better man for having gone through it

What Scott and Seth craft feels enduring from the start; one listen and you know "Tear Down The House," "The Greatest Sum" and "Souls Like The Wheels" are gonna bounce around inside your life forever. There's something of The Band and Buddy Holly in the naturalism of their work, a certain unrushed, unprodded rightness. They've given us another six-pack to slake our thirst until their next full draft of emotionalism. Trust me, this one goes down easy but it's got a kick.

The vinyl edition will have two bonus tracks for 8 songs total. The bonus tracks ["Black, Blue" and "The Greatest Sum" (electric)] will also be available if you download the album. The Avett Brothers recently signed a deal with American Records and have recently begun work on their next album, which is being produced by Rick Rubin.

Check out our 2007 interview with the band for more on these roots rock marvels.

JamBase | Heartland
Go See Live Music!

[Published on: 7/18/08]

Comments

Chaloupka starstarstarstarstar Fri 7/18/2008 07:43AM

Chaloupka

I'm sure it'll be great.

granola Fri 7/18/2008 08:30AM
Rinosquad starstarstarstarstar Fri 7/18/2008 09:23AM

I've been waiting for this.

MartinHalo Fri 7/18/2008 09:42AM

MartinHalo

The Gleam II EP was just a filler record to give fans because the follow up to Emotionalism is taking longer than planned. Why is it taking longer than planned? New label? Maybe. But the truth is because everyone within the inner circle is preparing for it to be artistically expanisve on top of the foundation laid from Emotionalism. We are talking like a big record here. We can expect it early next year and if you need a quote to wet your panties....

"As far as the follow up LP goes, the way we are progressing, writing, and molding as a band I don’t have any doubt that what will come next, in terms of a full-length, will be better than what we made for Emotionalism. I don’t even doubt it; there is no question in my mind."

Hang tight, this band is going to give us all something amazing very soon.

bristone Sun 7/20/2008 08:07AM

bristone

Did y'all not see this 7/6/08 update on their website:

"We have recently begun working on a new full length album with Rick Rubin. ... With this union has come another, as we have just completed and signed an agreement with American/Columbia Records, the label with whom we will proudly release our next record."

Exciting stuff indeed!

OysterDead starstarstarstarstar Mon 7/21/2008 02:43PM

OysterDead

Gleam I was a four song album ("When I drink" and "Yardsale"!!) and made an impact in my mind. Gleam II shall be a treat as well. These folks are staight up ganstas. Keep it real.

rabbitsfoot starstarstarstarstar Tue 7/22/2008 12:28AM

rabbitsfoot

best band out right now. favorite song writers/live performers i've ever heard/seen. all around insane band. even if you don't like em, there's not way you can show no respect. very good people and they play more shows than anybody i know.

sschaffner starstarstarstar Wed 7/23/2008 12:36PM

sschaffner

has anyone else noticed how sndtribefreak goes around to all the bands he doesn't care for (or probably doesn't know anything about) and makes silly little juvenile comments? dude, if you're reading this, do you ever have anything worthwhile to say? do you actually read the articles? and are you 14 years old?

on to a more important note: the avett brothers aren't the most talented musicians out there, but the songwriting is excellent and the performances are violently beautiful. these guys emit unfiltered emotion and powerful energy as if it's as simple as turning on a faucet. i saw them the last time they were in denver, and scott was rocking so hard during 'pretty girl from chile' that he accidentally busted his chin open on his guitar. luckily, his beard soaked up most of the blood.

GSWgirl Wed 7/23/2008 01:36PM

GSWgirl

This album is fantastic. Got it the day of release and have been listening ever since. The Greatest Sum is beautiful and will be in my life forever, indeed. Perhaps even a song I'd dance to at my wedding. These guys are the most amazing band I've seen in a lifetime and inspire a level of passion from me that I had been craving for.

And I must say, if they can top Emotionalism, I will wet my pants cause that album is HANDS DOWN my favorite studio album released by anyone... Ever.

And I was at that same Denver show with sschaffner... It was sick. Three of us cried. Best birthday EVER. 'If It's The Beaches' with an extended cello solo. Mmmmmm.