Darrell Scott Celebrates His Heroes On Modern Hymns
Grammy Nominated Songwriter Tackles Paul Simon, Joni Mitchell, Leonard
Del McCoury, Alison Krauss, Sam Bush, Mary Gauthier, Tim O'Brien Lend a Hand
Darrell Scott is a successful and acclaimed songwriter, but on his new
album the gifted musician turns to his heroes to find inspiration of
his own. Out August 19 on Appleseed Recordings, Modern Hymns is
Scott's honest, imaginative take on 12 songs from masters like Joni Mitchell, Paul Simon, Leonard Cohen and many more. Some of Nashville's
leading lights came out to help Scott with the project, including Del McCoury, Alison Krauss, Sam Bush, David Grier, Mary Gauthier, The Fisk Jubilee Singers, and Stuart Duncan.
You can check out tracks at: www.myspace.com/darrellscottmusic.
Scott says of the album, "Modern Hymns is a collection of songs and
artists/songwriters whose music shook me as a kid (with ears nearly as
big as my heart). They guided the way to my own path as an artist and
songwriter. These songs still inspire me and are a watermark held to
the light: how an honest, open life brought to music can resonate with
and move people. These songs are the truth; they are spiritual... and I
do not know what more we could ask of any hymn?"
Modern Hymns Track Listing:
1. All The Lovely Ladies- (Gordon Lightfoot)
2. Urge For Going- (Joni Mitchell)
3. Out Among The Stars- (Adam Mitchell)
4. Jesus Was A Capricorn- (Kris Kristofferson)
5. The Devil- (Hoyt Axton)
6. James- (Pat Metheny/Lyle Mays)
7. Frisco Depot- (Mickey Newbury)
8. American Tune- (Paul Simon)
9. Nobody Eats At Linebaugh's Anymore- (John Hartford)
10. Joan Of Arc- (Leonard Cohen)
11. I Don't Believe You (She Acts Like We Never Met)- (Bob Dylan)
12. That Old Time Feeling- (Guy Clark)
Darrell Scott tour dates available here.