MMJ at MSG for NYE

My Morning Jacket to Play NYE at Madison Square Garden

It's sorta like watching your little brother grow up to be a superstar. We've been blowing smoke about My Morning Jacket since we saw them in small clubs and on opening tours. We've worshiped each album and seen gawd inside Jim James' voice. Yeah, we love My Morning Jacket and we are ever so happy to let you know they will be performing their New Year's Eve show at New York's famous Madison Square Garden.

Stay tuned for details, openers, and all that fun stuff. But for now, makes sure you grab Evil Urges (released last Tuesday) and get your ass to one of their epic live shows this summer. Tour dates available here.

TICKETS: $49.50
Tickets are on sale Friday June 27 at 10 a.m. Tickets can be purchased online at www.ticketmaster.com, www.thegarden.com or by calling 212-307-4111. If tickets remain, they will also be available at the following service charge free box offices starting on Saturday June 28:
Beacon Theatre box office 11 a.m. – 7 p.m.
Madison Square Garden box office 10 a.m. – 6 p.m.
Radio City Music Hall box office 11:30 a.m. – 6 p.m.
All times are subject to change and ticket prices subject to service fees.

[Published on: 6/12/08]

Comments

Broesau starstarstarstarstar Thu 6/12/2008 09:30AM

MMJ making the big time, alright. Personally, I liked their older rootsier stuff more, It Still Moves is my favorite one of their albums, but they've blown up with the more electronic sound, so apparantly more people are feeling that. Great original musicians that put on a hell of a show, should be good on new years.

moemoe6434 starstarstarstarstar Thu 6/12/2008 09:34AM

The year of the Jacket!

bcthegr8 Thu 6/12/2008 09:38AM

bcthegr8

I thought Phish was to play MSG NYE

EricTW83 Thu 6/12/2008 09:42AM

^^^ That's okay, Phish is just holding out for a Big Cypress 10th anniversary next year. Let MMJ have their moment in the sun.

Mountain_Icculus starstarstarstarstar Thu 6/12/2008 09:42AM

Mountain_Icculus

omg...im there

ihob420 Thu 6/12/2008 09:48AM

ihob420

I am anxiously awaiting Radio City and they blow me away with this. HELL YEAH!!!! I also dig the older stuff more, but don't want to knock it until I see the new stuff live at one of the greatest venues in the world. I LOVE RADIO CITY AND I LOVE MMJ! I will be creaming myself next Friday night.

Lakai star Thu 6/12/2008 10:07AM
moephishH2O starstarstarstarstar Thu 6/12/2008 10:21AM

moephishH2O

Panic in Denver or Phish @ Big Cypress... hmmmmm... Florida it is! But I still love me some MMJ!

Emo Thu 6/12/2008 10:29AM

Big Cypress scares me. One way in, one way out. Reservation cops circling with wheelers. seems like a huge bust just waiting to happen...

kophine starstarstarstarstar Thu 6/12/2008 10:31AM

kophine

Awesome this is going to be fun!

Andy starstarstarstarstar Thu 6/12/2008 10:48AM

Andy

MMJ NYE MSG NYC

mickey7 starstarstarstarstar Thu 6/12/2008 10:53AM

I thought this was an article about MMJ deservedly scoring a prime NYE gig? Or do we just post our dreams and thoughts about other bands playing other locations here? And Lakai, your negative posts on every MMJ article are not only tiresome but predictable. Your profile says you like catching the best shows, but you're depriving yourself of one of the very best dude, and I for one am glad you are.

walthers starstarstarstarstar Thu 6/12/2008 11:05AM

Yeah, all you Phish fans that are hoping and dreaming, keep it up, you never know. While you are praying for a reunion you will continue to miss out on great new bands. Shit, if you hope long enough, maybe it will happen!

goldphish1 starstarstarstarstar Thu 6/12/2008 11:16AM

Well put. Seeing MMJ in those small clubs and bars back in the day was the shiz. Even though MSG is a great step forward, I'll miss catching MMJ at those smaller more initmate venues. It's a completely different experience. At least, for now, Big Monkey shows can be enjoyed in that type of environment.

thisiswhathappenslarry starstarstarstarstar Thu 6/12/2008 11:26AM

thisiswhathappenslarry

MMJ at the garden on new years = VERY NAAYYYCCEEE. but it makes my holiday celebration plans harder to figure out....Moe at radio City? MMj at the garden? or make the trip to Chicago for umph? anyway it pans out its gonna be rooockkkiiinnnn...

bold99 Thu 6/12/2008 11:35AM

Seeing one of your favorite bands blow up can suck because it means playing big venues...but in this case it rules because this generation needs a bigtime arena rock band and MMJ lives up to that live.

C00lmike Thu 6/12/2008 11:44AM

C00lmike

Ha, Good luck topping Phish NYE @ MSG...

as far as I'm concerned it will never be done

PAoldhead Thu 6/12/2008 12:10PM

Sounds like a good time, but unfortunately, I will be packing/leaving for Jam Cruise...

ScIFreak starstarstarstarstar Thu 6/12/2008 12:12PM
mrcaldwell star Thu 6/12/2008 12:19PM

I'm sorry but i don't really get it... MMJ just seems SO overrated to me. I've yet to see them live but they're records all sound so mediocre i feel like somethings eluding me.

BGsteveBG Thu 6/12/2008 01:55PM

BGsteveBG

thisiswhathappenslarry - you get the prize for best name on jambase.

JonSoda starstarstarstarstar Thu 6/12/2008 02:08PM

JonSoda

So MMJ gets a new years eve show at the garden and all the commentary revolves around knocking MMJ and proclaiming the greatness of phish?

Are you scared of another great band?

I know where I will be brining in the New Year!! MMJ ROCKS if you haven't seen them live, that sucks.. until then don't posting your bewilderment on MMJ news, get educated and keep your negative comments for.... dmb.

I def. agree that thisiswhathappenslarry is the best name on Jambase

Bylimb Thu 6/12/2008 04:27PM

Bylimb

Sounds like it'll be a show for the ages! A few years back, MMJ was supposed to open for The Black Crowes at MSG on NYE, only they canceled last minute because of the lead singers health. I was pretty bummed, being exposed to new music and all. However, they were replaced with the TAB, which I didn't mind because just hearing Trey's guitar at MSG again was glorious! Yes, it does suck that small club bands are now playing arenas, but if they're that good...and it doesn't hurt that Rolling Stone mentions them every issue. Congrats to MMJ at their second first time around!

ProfessorArgus starstarstarstarstar Thu 6/12/2008 07:41PM

ProfessorArgus

Right on, goldphish1! Finally someone else that knows of Big Monkey. Awesome band.

Muffinman1 Fri 6/13/2008 12:23AM

Muffinman1

Hey, at least we don't get any stupid Roo-Roth-ACL comments cause he's at BROO!

wagsinnorthernva starstarstarstar Fri 6/13/2008 06:04AM

wagsinnorthernva

This is awesome news for a band climbing the ladder. MMJ will play an awesome show at MSG. "Z" is my favorite.

joeyb4 starstarstarstarstar Fri 6/13/2008 06:26AM

joeyb4

We are coming from the cornfields of Indiana to the big city for this show. I hope i make it around ok. any New York City tips?

keenan41 starstarstarstarstar Fri 6/13/2008 06:46AM

keenan41

Amen to no Roo-Roth-ACL comments. I can't believe MMJ is playing MSG, totally crazy. I don't know if they're big enough yet to do a full tour of arenas, but it looks like this is the year they absolutely blow up. Cheers to them. They've been road warriors for years and years.

Joshc104 Fri 6/13/2008 08:24AM

Joshc104

About the picture in the pro-poster above;

Looks a bit phishy to me? Anyone know when? I am unsure about those two screens, but the lights sure are memorable.

Still waiting to see another MSG show !!!

Joshc104 starstarstarstarstar Fri 6/13/2008 08:31AM

Joshc104

On second look ... it has to be them.

AC/DC Bag was Red and White ... 12/30/97?

bigfro Fri 6/13/2008 09:40AM

bigfro

MY AFTERNOON PANTSHORTS

JonSoda starstarstarstarstar Fri 6/13/2008 09:49AM

JonSoda

Rumor is Trey's hard time inspired him to write a gangster rap album. Enjoy!

redhed starstarstarstarstar Fri 6/13/2008 11:02AM

redhed

The Jacket are amazing, I wish i could be in new york on nye. thisiswhathappenslarry gets another vote from me

groovatronics starstarstarstarstar Fri 6/13/2008 01:02PM

mmj at red rocks with the keys!!

hell yeahh

why so many phish comments though? the article says nothing about them at all. many large acts have played at msg. guess i forgot this is jambase and that is all anyone has their minds on all the time.

ststephen117 Fri 6/13/2008 08:19PM

this is great for the band. i agree about not being big enough for an arena tour YET. and enough of the phish talk. two completely different bands and styles.

Mountain_Icculus Sun 6/15/2008 09:41PM

Mountain_Icculus

couldnt agree more Ted Theodore Rogan.

King Rhino starstarstarstarstar Wed 6/18/2008 05:47PM

PHISH was all set to to do the reunion show NYE at MSG ....

...Then Mike Gordon showed up to the Jammys in those incre3dibly gay purple velvet pants, and the other 3 guys said "No way in HELL!" ....

...Thus no PHISH reunion.

kophine starstarstarstarstar Wed 6/25/2008 11:27PM

kophine

You guys think that MSG will sell out right away? I want to go to this show very bad but don't know if I should jump on it on Friday. Just for cash reasons. I hope not. And why all the Phish talk?? MMJ at MSG on NYE awesome! Hope it doesn't sell out right away! Im going!