MMJ Live on SNL

In case you missed it, My Morning Jacket made their Saturday Night Live debut this past weekend. But the beauty of this here Interweb is that you actually didn't miss it, you can watch it now (or re-watch it for the Jacket faithful) right here on JamBase... er... YouTube.

Set to release Evil Urges on June 10, the band selected two songs from the upcoming album to perform. "I'm Amazed" was played first and the title track "Evil Urges" was rocked second. Kick back and enjoy.

My Morning Jacket - "I'm Amazed" - Saturday Night Live (SNL)

My Morning Jacket - "Evil Urges" - Saturday Night Live (SNL)

[Published on: 5/12/08]

Comments

BGsteveBG starstarstarstarstar Mon 5/12/2008 10:37AM

BGsteveBG

I was flipping channels when i saw them getting ready, perfect timing for me... Great performance by them! I though the first song was the best, but they both rocked!

Mountain_Icculus starstarstarstarstar Mon 5/12/2008 12:03PM

Mountain_Icculus

Both performances were great. I think these guys are gonna be the next big thing. Which is a good/bad thing if ya know what i mean. ;/

NickSoda starstarstarstarstar Mon 5/12/2008 12:18PM

NickSoda

I agree with ya icculus. I think its great that they are dropping their new cd and heading to europe- maybe an attempt to escape all the mainstream bullshit and hype and just play. mmj rocks!

Mountain_Icculus Mon 5/12/2008 12:21PM

Mountain_Icculus

"maybe an attempt to escape all the mainstream bullshit and hype and just play."

Hope so brotha!

SlaveTotheDarkStar Mon 5/12/2008 12:25PM

SlaveTotheDarkStar

I love when bands make me increasingly and increasingly interested. When I first heard My Morning Jacket, I loved them (Z and It Still Moves). I get Evil Urges(!), and I love it even MORE! Having only heard two songs from the new album, I am pleasantly stimulated by the thought of a whole CDs worth of this!j

DubSaw starstarstarstarstar Mon 5/12/2008 12:25PM

DubSaw

AHHHHHHHHHH!!!! cant wait for new album ! its gonna ROOOCK!!!!!!!!!

SlaveTotheDarkStar starstarstarstarstar Mon 5/12/2008 12:25PM

SlaveTotheDarkStar

Tan starstarstarstarstar Mon 5/12/2008 12:39PM

Tan

I love when Jim James is all, "WHOOOOOOOOO". It makes me happy in my special place (my heart).

NickSoda starstarstarstarstar Mon 5/12/2008 12:40PM

NickSoda

the new album rocks!!!! can't wait to get my legit copy. that haunting-alt country just sticks with you.

johnnyjo14 starstarstarstarstar Mon 5/12/2008 12:47PM

johnnyjo14

Finally a band worth touring for. Starting in San Fran catching them all the way back to Chi-town. Who's coming with me?.... Jan.... Jan....

curtbraski starstarstarstarstar Mon 5/12/2008 12:51PM

curtbraski

Got my KC tickets today going to do Louisville and probably Iowa...hopefully more... i think everyone has been waitin' for this tour for too long!! thought the performance on SNL was awesome considering the setting... cant wait til august!

MDUB Mon 5/12/2008 01:20PM

MDUB

This performance was spectacular. They will be playing Conan on June 19th, the night before they rock out Radio City.

thedrugsdontwork Mon 5/12/2008 03:18PM

thedrugsdontwork

wow, you know what is truly amazing (besides MMJ), twelve comments here on jambase and no one had anything negative to say about this particular article. i am impressed.....

allthink Mon 5/12/2008 04:38PM

allthink

make that 13, 'off the record'...ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

thedrugsdontwork Mon 5/12/2008 06:25PM

thedrugsdontwork

lol

NatiMatty starstarstarstarstar Mon 5/12/2008 07:00PM

That is truely very impressive! No negativity!! I like it....alot! i wonder if anyone will break the chain? Cant wait to MMJ live in the Ville!

KudzuHug starstarstarstarstar Mon 5/12/2008 07:37PM

KudzuHug

these guys are constantly amazing me, i guess I'm amazed too.

jefferson420 Mon 5/12/2008 09:49PM

I saw these guys at Langerado a couple years past and was amazed. I didn't know who they were, but they had me dancing. See them if you can!

johnnygoff Tue 5/13/2008 12:35AM

johnnygoff

truthfully, one of the best SNL music offerings in a long time, if not ever.

you'll be seeing those on their SNL flashback specials.

z man starstarstarstar Tue 5/13/2008 04:18AM

Yeah, one of the coolest SNL performences was Neil Young doing " Rocking in the Free WOrld." In "Shakey", I forget who says it but they say " Its like Dinosaurs marking their territory"

Nibble starstarstarstar Tue 5/13/2008 05:55AM

I get what you above might be saying about droppin the album and heading to Europe. I think these guys are smart enough to realize that they were made playing smaller venues and word of mouth and by sites like the old JamBase. It is a smart move to head to Europe but I do not think that it is to increase their fan base there. They are fairly large, like them here in 2005-06, there. I think that people on this site think that as soon as artists begin to make money they have in some way become mainstream. Good for MMJ and I think they should make get as big as they want to and inspire the next generation to make good off the beaten path music.

NittyGritty starstarstarstarstar Tue 5/13/2008 10:06AM

NittyGritty

just got goosebumps watching that rockin performance... i dont know if i can wait anylonger to see them.... they are the only reason i am going to bonnaroo

Conjugal Burning starstarstarstar Tue 5/13/2008 11:41AM

Conjugal Burning

Thanks Jbase for posting this since I was playing out on Sat Night and missed it. Jacket has still got it! but to johnnygoff- you are forgetting that Frank Zappa was on SNL and John Belushi came out on psuedo sax/vocals. THAT was the best piece of music to hail from SNL

bigchris Tue 5/13/2008 03:46PM

The best musical performance on SNL was Peter Tosh playing "Don't Look Back" with Mick Jagger running through the audience to jump on stage and sing with Tosh. Killer. That Zappa one was good too.

The mmj vids get a solid "meh"

jacqui1 Wed 5/14/2008 04:48AM

did anyone catch them at mountain jam 2 years ago with rjd2? id never heard mmj but during their performance we these artists running arounf with giant puppets on their head and flowing "shirts" and hands... anyone know what im talking about? anyway, it was really cool

Conjugal Burning Wed 5/14/2008 08:54AM

Conjugal Burning

they had those big heads dancing around at the roo set of 05 as well

BGsteveBG Wed 5/14/2008 09:29AM

BGsteveBG

Roo 05!!!!!! I was there, i was trippin out on that conductor in front of them and giant giraffes and whatnot jumping around. Awesome show

NickSoda Wed 5/14/2008 03:29PM

NickSoda

that 05 Roo show was insane! Wish there was a video of that performance!

Jukebox Hero Wed 5/14/2008 10:18PM

Jukebox Hero

Those puppets are called the Sqallis Puppeteers and they're based out of Louisville. They've been at the last few Jacket shows in the 'Ville and any of you who are lucky enough to go to the Waterfront are likely to see them.

HoodooVoodoo star Thu 5/15/2008 06:55AM

HoodooVoodoo

The new album, Evil Urges, is awful. Depressing and slow and agonizing. The first 2 tracks sound like terrible Prince covers. Sorry guys...just being honest.

Wild Turkey Thu 5/15/2008 09:01AM

Wild Turkey

Thank you JamBase I was pissed I missed it live, but here it is! RED ROCKS and REVERB, oh yes!

daddylegba Thu 5/15/2008 01:38PM

Jim James sounds like he cut his nut sack off in "Evil Urges". I mean he is really forcing the high pitch to sound like some 70's soul singer that never quite made it. When they jam it rocks. They need more of that. I realize it is SNL, but the vocals are really bad...period

theivywall starstarstarstarstar Sat 5/17/2008 10:10AM

theivywall

^^^Ya'll up there...Roo '05, I don't do the shit anymore but I was tripping my nuts off...that was crazy, the giant sun-god with the huge ass arms in the background?!??!?! yeah and the conductor was making me laugh my ass off. Jim James said something like "Even if the conductor wasn't hear to guide us we'd still play along with each other...because we are all one" and at the time I thought he was making some profound statement but I'm pretty sure he was being facetious in his Jim James way, he's a pretty funnyghi. That show was awesome, that'swhat first got me into MMJ hardcore.

hed1 starstarstarstarstar Sat 5/17/2008 03:11PM

I dont know what you're smoking HoodooVoodoo, but Im Amazed def aint depressing, and Evil Urges isnt either..I havent heard all the songs, but probably 5 or 6, and the only one that might even be "negative" is smokin for shooting..Highly Suspicious reminds me alot more of Talking Heads than Prince, and if you look at it as a fun song that should be great live, Im feelin it..

Def feeling this album overall more than Z..I literally cant wait til the last show of the tour in Chitown @ the Theatre...gonna be the ish

HoodooVoodoo starstarstarstarstar Sat 5/17/2008 06:42PM

HoodooVoodoo

Here's what the new record sounds like...

King Rhino starstarstarstarstar Sun 5/18/2008 07:07AM

.... Great name for an indie emo band

Jim James' Nut Sac

spiderdonkey starstarstarstarstar Sun 5/18/2008 10:26AM

spiderdonkey

First of all, I already have my ticket for the Philly show and I might try to get down to D.C. jefferson420 right on with the comment about Langerado 07, that show was pure magic (the light show was unreal)! Hell, every time I've ever seen them its been magic. I remember when they covered Nick Drake at the World Cafe about 3 or 4 years ago, I was completely beside myself. As for HoodooVoodoo's first comment about Evil Urges being depressing have you ever heard any of Tennesse Fire? The entire thing is sad, homesick and haunting, but its also my favorite album other than Z. And as to MMJ sounding alittle like Prince, well Prince is one of the major influences on MMJ as is The Who which is why it could be said that in Z there are some songs that remind people of the Whoish/Townsend sound (You should hear them actually cover either Prince or The Who cuz its amazing). You could say that about any band and the influences they draw from.

‹^› ‹(•¿•)› ‹^› {¬¿¬} starstarstarstarstar Thu 5/22/2008 04:17AM

that vocal on evil urges is annoying. amazed is a little better. I am just learning this band..

Related Goods