Conor Oberst Solo Album

Merge Records to release CONOR OBERST solo album in August

Conor Oberst
This recording was made in Tepoztlán, Morelos, Mexico during the months of January and February 2008. In Tepoztlán, a place known for Aztec Magic and Extra-Terrestrial Sightings, a temporary studio was created in a mountain villa called Valle Místico at the outskirts of town. It was produced by Conor Oberst with much help from engineer and long time associate Andy LeMaster. A special band was assembled for the recording, known amongst themselves and to friends as The Mystic Valley Band. It was there at Valle Místico that Conor and the band lived and worked for that time in near perfect harmony, often unaware of the hour or the day. The result is his first solo album in thirteen years, following Water (1993), Here's To Special Treatment (1994) and Soundtrack To My Movie (1995). In that time he has recorded and preformed in many bands and musical projects including Commander Venus, Park Ave., Desaparecidos, and most notably Bright Eyes, his main musical vehicle for the past decade.

Conor Oberst and The Mystic Valley Band will be touring in support of this album throughout the summer and have already announced an appearance at September's Austin City Limits festival.

Track List:
1. Cape Cañaveral
2. Sausalito
3. Get-Well-Cards
4. Lenders In The Temple
5. Danny Callahan
6. I Don't Want To Die (In The Hospital)
7. Eagle On A Pole
8. Moab
9. NYC – Gone, Gone
10. Valle Místico (Ruben's Song)
11. Souled Out!!!
12. Milk Thistle

Live shows for Conor Oberst & The Mystic Valley Band:
8/22 Leeds Festival - England
8/24 Reading Festival -England
8/31 Electric Picnic - County Laois, Ireland
9/27 ACL Music Festival -Austin, TX

[Published on: 4/22/08]

Comments

uhoh Tue 4/22/2008 10:50AM

uhoh

hes still around?

KCReb Tue 4/22/2008 11:08AM

KCReb

I'm glad that this guy is growing up and not so whiney anymore. He's a good songwriter and his past few Bright Eyes albums have been getting better and better.

Chaloupka Tue 4/22/2008 11:38AM

Chaloupka

Has he really toned down the whining? If so, that's great! That was the main reason why I was always so turned off by Bright Eyes' music.

hnkscrpio Tue 4/22/2008 12:00PM

hnkscrpio

This guys music makes me depressed just thinking about it, but I think that's probably what he's going for, so mission accomplished.

youenjoymyself33 Tue 4/22/2008 02:21PM

youenjoymyself33

and what a noble feat, making music for people to become depressed by.

TheGreenKynd starstar Tue 4/22/2008 03:39PM

i really can't stand this guy at all. he does have some talent but every time i try to listen to him it's just painful. i wonder if this project will be any different?

HoodooVoodoo starstarstarstarstar Tue 4/22/2008 04:58PM

HoodooVoodoo

I wish my lawn were more emo so it would cut itself.

Tehsay Tue 4/22/2008 09:22PM

Tehsay

wow all intelligent and contributive comments...

I'm personally gripped for this.

moejoerisin Tue 4/22/2008 09:58PM

moejoerisin

idiotic comments aside, oberst and bright eyes make some of the best protest music around today - and it's certainly not emo. he has a unique singing style and his writing is better than most award-winning poets'.

moejoerisin Tue 4/22/2008 09:59PM

moejoerisin

-was going to say his singing style is definitely an acquired taste, also.

roberto767 starstarstarstarstar Tue 4/22/2008 11:51PM

roberto767

emo=emotional. bright eyes seems pretty damn emotional to me...now what did i do with my razor?

moejoerisin Wed 4/23/2008 08:53AM

moejoerisin

actually emo = emo. like my chemical romance and saves the day.

apologies that you don't enjoy music with emotion. personally i though that's what it was all about.

hnkscrpio Wed 4/23/2008 02:12PM

hnkscrpio

Yeah I'm pretty sure that emo music term, is short for emotional. To me emo is more like Braid, Hot Water Music, Cursive, Alkaline Trio, some even consider Fugazi pioneers of emo, since their music is so emotional. Then all those terrible bands like My Chemical Romance, Saves the Day, Dashboard Confessional, came are around and clouded everyone's view. I do see where you are coming from Moejoe. A lot of people call those bands emo, and all good music has emotion to it.

HoodooVoodoo starstarstarstarstar Wed 4/23/2008 08:08PM

HoodooVoodoo

So all good music is emo music?

RothburyWithCheese star Thu 4/24/2008 08:55AM

RothburyWithCheese

This guy blows. Whine--my dad never loved me. Whine--my high school girlfriend left me. Shut the fuck up already.

joeyb4 Thu 4/24/2008 09:46AM

joeyb4

emo=emotional. im pretty sure alot of rock/jam bands sing about emotion.... all of them. so if you are saying emo is only the act of expressing emotion. then every band is emo. I love Conor and Bright Eyes. Agreed it is an aquired sound and quite singer songwriter. Ive never had any band motivate me so much to change things in my life. especially politics. Being part of the scene most of us have a common intrest in drugs. Not all drug expierience is happy/trippy/fun, thats just while your high. the come down and back up is what Conor expresses. He whines cause he isnt scared to tell people why he has aquired drug abuse.

Bonnaroo to Rothbury to ACL Thu 4/24/2008 08:55AM

- at least he's man enough to admit his issues.

lostinthought Sun 5/18/2008 03:30PM

I myself cant wait for this album. Seen Bright Eyes several times now and have never been let down. And yes theres emotion to the music,thats what makes music special,real and true. But hey, if some of you would rather listen to music without emotion...then enjoy...i mean dont..that would be showing an emotion. With exception of alot of people, mainly guys, there are more people out there who are afraid to show real emotion...I mean really, what would your friends think. Oberst is one of the best, if not the best, singer songwriters of this time. Right up there with Dylan,Cohen,Lennon,Hunter,Morrison(both of em).... Much more so than most of these shitty jambands that all do the same drawn out thing over and over and over and over...but thats just my opinion...what do I know other than what I like myself....