MMJ: Evil Urges For Free

A note from your friend, My Morning Jacket:

Hello all you fine and wonderful people out there that are interested in what we do. We now live in the 90's - the era of the interweb and instant gratification. These are confusing times for all humankind, but especially for those of us in the music world as you well know... A week or so ago we played some of our new songs for the first time at a show in Houston TX! About an hour later all of those songs were available on the interweb - talk about speed!!! Since those and other non-album audiovisual recordings are available to people on the interweb, we wanted to make at least one "real" song version available (if one was interested in what the "real actual studio album" might sound like) to those of you who have supported us most and have seemed most excited about what we are doing over the years.

So here is the song "Evil Urges." We sure hope you are to enjoy it! We would put the whole thing out there on the interweb, but gosh darn-it, we're still a little old fashioned in that way of wanting the listener to be able to get the actual music when it is supposed to be released, when we say it is finished - not when someone else puts it on the interweb.... But it is the 90's now, we understand that. It's a new decade and we want to be part of this decade, but whilst still maintaining a link to the past - where one can't necessarily get everything they want immediately when they want it, but rather when they are told they can have it - by their real life keeper or their digital daddy! We will play both roles here. We all personally relish waiting to unwrap that shrink wrap and smelling that fresh vinyl or compact disc plastic, mmm... that fresh cardboard and paper. Or if we buy it off the interweb we all love holding our computers up to our noses and smelling those brand new digital downloads... mmm... fresh! Gall durn it - we're just old fashioned that way. Sometimes... gentle reader, in this age of instant gratification, waiting can be so rewarding, it can teach us a valuable lesson about the triumph of the human spirit... but sometimes, like our old friend Tom Petty said - waiting is the hardest part. Thank you all for being so supportive of us, and unending in your love... from the bottom of our cold dead hearts!

love,
mmj!

What you need to do is GO HERE scroll down, click the link and enter the password (urges101) and then you too can rawk out to the new Jacket!

Please act now, as this link will only be available for one week from today, April 18, 2008. And if at first you experience difficulties getting onto the site, try again, it appears most of the free world is trying to download this song...

[Published on: 4/18/08]

Comments

kyjed48 starstarstarstarstar Fri 4/18/2008 12:06PM

This is an excellent song! I can't wait for the entire album!

sunnbear starstarstarstarstar Fri 4/18/2008 12:13PM

sunnbear

Anyone interested in two tickets for Sunday 4/27/08 Coachella? MMJ, Roger Waters, etc. I can't go. All one day passes are sold out, but I will take face value or less. I have PayPal set up. If interested, email me at imsunnbear@yahoo.com.

moephishH2O starstarstarstarstar Fri 4/18/2008 12:37PM

moephishH2O

I freakin' love MMJ. These guys know how to put on a show and their albums keep getting better and better!

anonymous Fri 4/18/2008 12:50PM

anonymous

the 90's??

anonymous starstarstarstarstar Fri 4/18/2008 12:53PM

anonymous

i wasn't quite done there.....i can't wait to see these guys live sometime, y'all that have seen them, who would you compare them too as far as a live performance and sound of the music??

tourfan starstarstarstarstar Fri 4/18/2008 12:54PM

"We now live in the 90's - the era of the interweb and instant gratification."

"But it is the 90's now, we understand that."

Duh!!!!!

I love MMJ, but as an editor myself, letting this actually get published is siimply awful, whether on the part of JB or on the bands part or on the bands label/publicist. I will DL the song, sure. But when it is made available for sale - I will purchase my own copy, and support the band.

P.S. What's the "interweb?" LOL!!!!!

sunnbear starstarstarstarstar Fri 4/18/2008 01:08PM

sunnbear

micapawgroove, MMJ is really unlike any other band that I have ever seen. Their music is amazing. Ranging from the hypnotic, etherial to some of the hardest, ear pounding. You can't really put a label on them, but they are definately one of my favorites. Their live show is mind blowing, The energy. The lights. The atmosphere in general is magical!

tourfan, I think the "90's" thing is just some of Jim James' bizarre humor. More of which you will find on the liner notes of Okonokos (CD) and the opening scene of Okonokos (DVD). I believe he gets a rush from trying to put people on. Just my opinion. I hope it's not just an editing error!

andvon Fri 4/18/2008 01:17PM

andvon

it's definitely a classic jim james antic...don't you wish more people were fun like him

axilla21 starstarstarstarstar Fri 4/18/2008 01:20PM

Wow, these guys are fantastic. Im still a MMJ newb and just saw them at the Parish in Austin last month for the first time. Got to hear lots of new material they debuted in Houston the previous night but I guess everything I heard was new to me. Im so glad I finally gave these guys a chance and they are now on my list of bands that I would roadtrip for. In case any of didn't know, NPR has the full show from The Austin Music Hall streaming. They sure did treat Austin well for SXSW!!

bluke11 Fri 4/18/2008 01:32PM

Their new tracks "Highly Suspicious" and "Touch me and I Will Scream Part II" will change Rock 'n Roll music forever. -- Nostradamus

gmoo Fri 4/18/2008 01:35PM

gmoo

^^^ Unnecessary. I've yet to get into this band but I hear great things. Any recommendations?

Marcsmall Fri 4/18/2008 01:57PM

Marcsmall

I saw them open for Dylan at Red Rocks last summer, and I was disappointed. I would like to give them anotherchance, because I hear such great things. But they really did nothing for me, and were jhem do an just rather loud and abrasive. Maybe I need to see them do an entire show in which they are the headliner

sunnbear starstarstarstarstar Fri 4/18/2008 01:59PM

sunnbear

P.S. They are on Saturday Night Live tomorrow night 4/19. Check 'em out!

Luthur starstarstarstarstar Fri 4/18/2008 02:06PM

""We now live in the 90's - the era of the interweb and instant gratification."

"But it is the 90's now, we understand that."

Duh!!!!!

I love MMJ, but as an editor myself, letting this actually get published is siimply awful,"

Dude, I think he was merely using satire to self-mock themselves about being behind on the times in terms of the "interwebs." Jim is a joker. I thought it was funny and original which is rare for press release type stuff.

peteybone starstarstarstarstar Fri 4/18/2008 02:56PM

Thank you Luther. I was waiting for someone to remind dim witted young tourfan the concept of satire. James and crew are hilarious. Dar gum it, I sure do enjoy their musical stylings.

canoftunapudding Fri 4/18/2008 05:28PM

Somebody tell this guy it's 2008.

raygilly Fri 4/18/2008 05:44PM

raygilly

MMJ puts on a great live performance, their show at Bonnaroo'04 was amazing. I don't believe I have seen them since, so I would love to see the changes they've made and how they've progressed. Unfortunately, I cannot figure out how to download the song above. I confuse myself sometimes, i mean, often. :)

AintNoFreedom starstarstarstarstar Fri 4/18/2008 06:45PM

AintNoFreedom

MMJ is THE band of the new millennium thus far.

Elemley Fri 4/18/2008 07:57PM

pretty cool song. its sounding quite a bit different to me

JonSoda starstarstarstarstar Sat 4/19/2008 09:19AM

JonSoda

My “digital daddy” gave me all the tracks from the” interweb” from SXSW show and I once again MMJ broke their mold again. Studio version of Evil Urges is one of most beautiful sounds I have heard in a long time. After hearing it a shroud of sadness fell over me that I came to the realization that the world’s best kept secret the will no longer be cherished by a coveted few. It is inevitable that their music will be unwillingly taken mainstream. Here is to our last few months of shows with appreciative fans.

Mountain_Icculus starstarstarstarstar Sat 4/19/2008 10:32AM

Mountain_Icculus

well put JonSoda...

spitz66 Sat 4/19/2008 10:50AM

Jim James is the man, period.

HoodooVoodoo starstarstarstarstar Sat 4/19/2008 05:29PM

HoodooVoodoo

Jim James is now a diva! Woo hoo!

Mark Price former NBA star starstarstarstarstar Sun 4/20/2008 01:50PM

Mark Price former NBA star

I've seen MMJ twice now, and the best show I've ever seen in my life was their Janruary 13th 2007 show in Denver, CO. It was the last night of their tour, they played for 2 and a half hours, and it was the best show I've ever seen in my life. They are amazing.

NittyGritty Sun 4/20/2008 02:06PM

NittyGritty

best rock band of our time right now. This song kicks ass

bamboozle starstarstarstarstar Sun 4/20/2008 06:11PM

song reminds me of what would happen if the allman brothers did a prince song.

i dig it, and i can't wait for the new album

nobodysjam starstarstarstarstar Sun 4/20/2008 06:47PM

nobodysjam

I'd say best bust out band of the last 3 years, but it took 2 listens to get hooked, although 1 word about says it all for me, dynamic! Thier studio stuff is always on tons of critics top 10 and live they shred, nuff said. Beat the rush and get into these guys if you havn't already

sbruce44 starstarstarstarstar Mon 4/21/2008 09:36AM

sbruce44

Well, I guess I was right after all... after reading this message board, a shroud of sadness fell over me when I came to the realization that this band is going to be the next victim of a lame ass trend: enough people start to like a band, and everyone ditches them and talks about how they went "mainstream" and sold out. A sad trend indeed, but it's guaranteed to happen to any band that makes good music that people like. Hey JonSoda, here's to our last few months of enjoying this band before people get bitter that nobody cares if they were into MMJ before they were popular, and they inevitably turn on them and start hating.

youenjoymyself33 Wed 4/23/2008 11:55AM

youenjoymyself33

check this out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfEq8PdSNfo

it's another one of their new songs and daaamn is it good.

nickers starstarstar Thu 4/24/2008 08:04AM

it must be confusing for you guys-i' m confused by your summer tour dates! so looking forward to Red Rocks-good job on booking that one. please don't play Evil Urges-it hurts my ears!!

Lakai starstarstar Sun 4/27/2008 10:48AM

Lakai

its an ok album I like the new directions there going in and trying out. some of the ideas dont really work so well, for me at least, personally I think highly suspicious is worst song on the album and one of the worst songs I have heard all month