Record Store Day In-Stores

RECORD STORE DAY IN-STORES ANNOUNCED FOR 4/19!
METALLICA, JACKIE GREENE, WILL OLDHAM, STEVE EARLE, REGINA SPEKTOR, BLACK REBEL MOTORCYCLE CLUB ARE AMONG THOSE PARTICIPATING
BJORK'S 3-D VIDEO "WANDERLUST" TO BE PREMIERED

As reported yesterday (see below), on Saturday, April 19, 2008, independent record stores will simultaneously link and act as one with the purpose of celebrating the culture and unique place that they occupy both in their local communities and nationally.

Many of the stores will be hosting in-store performances and appearances from top names on Record Store Day, including Metallica at Rasputin's in Mountain View, CA (Bay Area); Panic At The Disco at Waterloo in Austin, TX; Amanda Palmer from the Dresden Dolls at Newbury Comics in Boston, MA; Regina Spektor at Sound Fix in Brooklyn, NY; Manchester Orchestra at Criminal Records in Atlanta, GA; and Black Rebel Motorcycle Club at CD Central in Lexington, KY, among many others. S ee below for a list of some of the confirmed appearances.

Also, as a special Record Store Day event, 300 stores will distribute special 3D glasses printed with a secret URL associated with Record Store Day, on which the premier of the 3D version of Bjork's "Wanderlust" video will be shown on April 19. BJORK.COM will have a list of the stores who will have the limited edition glasses. Shot by Encyclopedia Pictura, "Wanderlust" is the latest groundbreaking video from Bjork's Grammy-nominated release, Volta.

In addition, a handful of UK-based indie music retailers have signed on to participate in Record Store Day. Most significantly, Rough Trade, the legendary outlet off Portobello Road will be hosting a whole day of events including live acts such as a performance by Billy Bragg and DJ sets making it INTERNATIONAL Record Store Day! (Check out http://www.roughtrade.com/site/instore.lasso for more information.)

SOME CONFIRMED RECORD STORE DAY IN-STORE APPEARANCES:

• Metallica will hang out with their fans at Rasputin's in Mountain View, CA.
• Peanut Butter Wolf will spin his favorite records at Amoeba in Los Angeles, CA.
• Jackie Greene will perform at Twist & Shout in Denver, CO.
• Thrice will perform at Zia Records in Phoenix, AZ.
• Soundtree Records will showcase their bands with a BBQ at Stinkweeds in Tempe, AZ.
• Graywhale in Salt Lake City, UT, will host an indie film fest with performances by Gaza and Royal Bliss.
• Panic at the Disco will meet their fans at Waterloo in Austin, TX.
• Amanda Palmer (from the Dresden Dolls) will paint in her underwear at Newbury Comics in Boston, MA.
• Sam Fogarino (of Interpol) will appear at Other Music in NYC to spin his favorite records.
• Regina Spektor will perform for fans in her Brooklyn, NY, neighborhood at Sound Fix.
• Nada Surf, Article A, Ben Taylor (son of James Taylor and Carly Simon), and David Saw will perform at Vintage Vinyl in Fords, NJ.
• Parlor Mob will perform at Jack's Music Shoppe in Red Bank, NJ.
• Luna Music in Indianapolis, IN, will host a veggie burger grill-out with Doge of My Old Kentucky Blog doing a live remote for Sirius radio.
• Sick Puppies and Saving Evil will perform at Plan 9 in Richmond, VA.
• Marshall Crenshaw will perform at Plan 9 in Charlottesville, VA.
• Steve Earle and Allison Moorer will meet their fans at Manifest in Charlotte, NC.
• Robert Bradley's Blackwater Surprise will perform at Monster in Charleston, SC.
• Tim O'Brien and De Novo Dahl will perform, plus booths for meet and greet with fans will be manned by David Berman (Silver Jews/Drag City), Will Oldham (Bonnie Prince Billy, Palace/Drag City), Kurt Wagner (Lambchop/Merge), Wooden Wand (Kill Rock Stars), Infinity Cat (indie label home of Be Your Own Pet), The Mattoid, Cake Bake Betty, at Grimey's in Nashville, TN.
• Dead Confederate, Manchester Orchestra, Anna Kramer & the Lost Cause, the Coathangers, and Janelle Monae among others will perform at Criminal Records in Atlanta, GA.
• Algebra will perform at North Georgia Compact Disc in Norcross, GA.
• Black Rebel Motorcycle Club, The Duke Spirit, and Tight Leather will perform at CD Central in Lexington, KY.
* Kate Nash performing at Mainstreet Music in Philadephia, PA
* Pat Monahan (lead dude from Train) will perform at Silver Platters in Seattle, WA.
* Lupe Fiasco will do in-store signing at Rasputin's in San Francisco.
* Billy Bragg will perform at Rough Trade Records in London.

"There's nothing as glamorous to me as a record store. When I recently played Amoeba in L.A., I realised what fantastic memories such a collection of music brings back when you see it all in one place. This is why I'm more than happy to support Record Store Day and I hope that these kinds of stores will be there for us all for many years to come. Cheers!" –PAUL McCARTNEY

Record Store Day :: 04.19.08

The countdown is underway to the first-ever Record Store Day on Saturday, April 19. It's going to be an unprecedented event when hundreds of independent stores across the country join forces to celebrate the essential cultural and economic roles they play, both in their local communities and nationally. During these tumultuous times, it's been so encouraging to hear of the widespread support this initiative has garnered from fans, artists and the industry.

Each and every day, independent stores of all shapes and sizes (and the people who own, manage and work in them) bring not only their heart and soul, but also their creativity and their financial investment in the success of the music business. Artist development... customer service... innovative marketing and promotion... the list goes on and on. They have more than earned this chance to step into the spotlight and take their well-deserved applause from an enthusiastic and appreciative audience.

To honor Record Store Day, On April 19 a plethora of local record stores across the country will hold special events and offer the release of exclusive limited edition 10" and 7" singles by various artists including Built to Spill, R.E.M., Stephen Malkmus, Death Cab for Cutie, Vampire Weekend and The Black Keys to name a few.

R.E.M.:

1 Supernatural Superserious
2 Airliner [non-LP B-side]

The Black Keys:

1 Strange Times
2 Something on Your Mind [previously unreleased]

Built to Spill:

1 Don't Try [live, previously unreleased]
2 The Source [live, previously unreleased]

Death Cab for Cutie:

1 I Will Possess Your Heart (10" Mix)
2 I Will Possess Your Heart (7" Mix)

Vampire Weekend:

1 A-Punk
2 Oxford Comma (rehearsal version)

[Published on: 4/9/08]

Comments

SCIRGR84EVS Tue 4/8/2008 09:11AM

i think i will celebrate Record Store Day by getting really baked the day after Record Store Day.

Lenox Tue 4/8/2008 09:13AM

Lenox

lol scirgr84evs, well put.

kirkbrew Tue 4/8/2008 09:17AM

kirkbrew

Shouldn't every day be record store day?

silent9bass Tue 4/8/2008 09:51AM

silent9bass

That would be real sweet if this catches on. I would be far down to stock up on some vinyl. The stores should do some inticing sale of some sort...

theragman Tue 4/8/2008 10:07AM

this is a nice idea but I'm just too worn out from Rex Manning day to do anything about it.

sunnbear starstarstarstarstar Tue 4/8/2008 10:23AM

sunnbear

SCIRGR84EVS, Every day should be like the day after Record Store Day!

RothburyWithCheese starstarstarstarstar Tue 4/8/2008 10:41AM

RothburyWithCheese

Looks like DonnaDouche is the new me. Regardless of what you think of me I always support the jamband scene. FYI idiot bluegrass rules!!!

adamjfreed star Tue 4/8/2008 10:52AM

theragman, is that an empire records reference?

record store day sounds like it could be a decent enough per-party, like 4/20 eve or something

theragman Tue 4/8/2008 11:35AM

damn the man, save the empire

psogator43 Tue 4/8/2008 11:54AM

happy pre-4/20 day...go buy some vinyl

JeLLyPhiSh823 Tue 4/8/2008 11:56AM

JeLLyPhiSh823

just go out buy some recs on 4/19 get baked and jam em all the next day

nuke_ticketbastard starstarstarstar Tue 4/8/2008 12:15PM

yes this is pretty cool

yes "it's Rex Manning day !!!"

vinyl is fun and , i like records too....

guitardave starstarstarstarstar Tue 4/8/2008 12:20PM

guitardave

How about 8 track day? I grew up on vinyl and have absorbed the family collection, but when you are all baked on 4/20 (or any other day) it gets to be a pain in the ass to flip records every 20 minutes.

tourfan Tue 4/8/2008 12:31PM

Ok, I found a myspace page for a band called Rex Manning Day, and I know the quote from Empire Records movie, about a record store staff... but other than that, who is Rex Manning, and what does he have to do with this? Hope that is not a stupid question ... ?

Danimal Tue 4/8/2008 01:21PM

Danimal

He was a character in the movie. He was a d-bag singer like a perverted Kenny-G or something

DubSaw Tue 4/8/2008 05:49PM

DubSaw

i think im gonna download record store day on to my computer !!!

triad1 Wed 4/9/2008 04:32AM

triad1

Viva La Vinyl! Check out the label, Classic Records catalog.

BlowsAgainsttheEmpire starstarstarstarstar Wed 4/9/2008 06:21AM

BlowsAgainsttheEmpire

Please support your local independent record stores!

msd413886669 star Wed 4/9/2008 10:06AM
45king Wed 4/9/2008 11:42AM

^^^Not every thing is available for an IPod jackass. I see it as a way to pull assholes away from their computers for a moment. 420 should be the thing you cut this year that shit is CLICHE as hell

Gary starstarstarstarstar Wed 4/9/2008 01:23PM

Gary

Anyone going to be at Luna Music for this in Broad Ripple (Indianapolis)?

Let me know if you are! I'll probably try and make it to support independant shops.

Gary

fordaj starstarstarstarstar Wed 4/9/2008 01:25PM

It's a shame that msd413886669 has no understanding of the value that a local indie record store can provide a city. While itunes continue to dominate the market; I have watched the giants such as Tower crumble. Yet, many independent stores have continued to grow by promoting GOOD music and helping all music fans. My local independent store offers sincere owners, great promotions, free music, a great bar with good live music, great prices, and the opportunity to have a 180gm hard copy in my hand on the release date. I have also watched as the store has helped increase the music that rolls through town. That is something I can't get from itunes, bestbuy, or the internet.

msd413886669 Wed 4/9/2008 02:02PM

msd413886669

Hey 45king. You can get anything on your ipod, dumb@ss. I have vinyl from the twenties and forties all over mine. that way when I want to her a song, I can. But I do still have a giant record collection and will continue to collect vinyl. But you go a head and leave 4/20 to us peeps that can handle it. I'm not fifthteen anymore, but I still blaze a phat one with my crew on that day. And...fordaj- you obviously didn't read what I wrote. I totally understand what a local record store can do for a scene. I was trying to say the best way for a local record shop to gain publicity is to promote live, in store shows. You need to learn how to read. All I was saying is that to dedicate a day to paying homage to Local Record Shops is lame. If you love music, then you will go to a record shop, way before downloading. That's why great bands like TOOL still make awesome packing for their records. But you apparently didn't understand what I was saying. It's cool. Shop for songs all day. I'll be making music. Peace.

youenjoymyself33 Wed 4/9/2008 02:29PM

youenjoymyself33

Sure you can find anything on the internet but there is such a huge difference in quality between mp3s and vinyl, when it comes to sound and what you actually physically recieve. I do download but if I had the money I would definitely be listening to most of my music on vinyl. Perhaps it's less portable that way but then you're forced to actually listen to the music instead of it just being background noise.

fordaj starstarstarstarstar Wed 4/9/2008 02:45PM

I understand exactly what you are writing; you feel that TOOL is a great band and that you and your crew blaze a phat one on April 20. What are some of the bands from the 1920's and 40's that you have on your ipod? After reading your second post it is much easier to understand the douchebaggery in your comments.

45king Thu 4/10/2008 06:27AM

I blaze "with my crew" every day I dont need four twenty as an excuse. As for Itunes, lime wire and others like limewire, I've have stacks of Independent lables and test pressings (mainly from 1965-1976)that limewire has never had the chance to misslable. (EXAMPLE artist:Marvin Gaye song: Ain't no Sunshine or the ever famous artist: Phish song: Gin and Juice)

msd413886669 Thu 4/10/2008 08:25AM

msd413886669

Well from the twenties, I have a lot of Benny Goodman, and the forties has a lot of Bird, and Clifford Brown, Max Roach. But Tool is a phenomenal band, you're the douche. And I don't need an excuse either, buts it's still fun to walk around twice as high on that day. And I still listen to the vinyls buddy. I just near to hear certain things for certain occasions. So keeping it portable is nice. But you're right it's not the same, but it does allow me to be able to educate more people with good music. But this conversation is being blown out of context. It was about independent records, it was about the shops having a holiday, which is far more whack then one for marijuana. but you guys have fun. I'm out. Peace.

FunkLizard starstarstarstarstar Thu 4/10/2008 04:44PM

FunkLizard

Bicycle Day! The black wheel spinnin' round! Let's drink some milk!

guitardave starstarstarstarstar Tue 4/15/2008 07:17AM

guitardave

Ahh humans..always bickering and fighting. That is why we Apes rounded you all up in the first place.

numbcarnelian Fri 4/18/2008 10:11AM