YMSB: Mountain Tracks 5

Yonder Mountain String Band Releases New Live Record:
Mountain Tracks: Volume 5 :: Street Date - April 15, 2008

YMSB
Yonder Mountain String Band is known for its high-energy, improvisational live shows, never playing the same set twice. This release, on the band's own Frog Pad Records, marks the 5th volume in their lauded series of live albums, Mountain Tracks, capturing the essence of a live Yonder show.

Mountain Tracks 5 is a double-disc CD featuring the unreleased and in-demand live show from Columbus, OH at the Lifestyle Communities Pavilion(July 21, 2007). It also features a compilation disc of the best live tunes handpicked by the band from the past couple of years.

As bassist Ben Kaufmann notes, "it's a 'through-the-years' set of music" with the material ranging from 2004 through 2007. The compilation album has been sequenced so that it recreates the flow of an actual live show.

Twisting and bending their traditional bluegrass instrumentation (mandolin, banjo, guitar and bass) with rock, improvisation, and fine songwriting, Yonder has pioneered their own, distinguished sound, one they represent each night in their live shows. This live album truly captures that unique sound and live energy that is Yonder Mountain String Band. Experience Mountain Tracks 5 April 15, 2008.

In support of the new release, Yonder will be on tour in April and playing many major festivals this summer.

Tour Dates

07/06/08 Sun Rothbury Music Festival Rothbury, MI
07/18/08 Fri Horning's Hideout North Plains, OR
07/19/08 Sat Horning's Hideout North Plains, OR
07/20/08 Sun Horning's Hideout North Plains, OR
09/01/08 Mon Jazz Aspen Snowmass Aspen, CO

[Published on: 4/2/08]

Comments

Lord-K. starstarstarstarstar Wed 4/2/2008 10:27AM

Lord-K.

thing11 makes some of the worst comments I have ever seen they are boring, repetitive, and always very similiar. I hope this is the last time that he makes a post on Jambase. On the other hand Yonder mountain string band is one of the least boring bands I have ever seen they have great crowd particpation looking forward to seeing them again at rothbury with Fishman.

whodoyoudo starstarstarstarstar Wed 4/2/2008 10:38AM

whodoyoudo

my favorite jamband

i hope it never stops

Sinister Vinister starstarstarstarstar Wed 4/2/2008 10:39AM

Sinister Vinister

Hahaha! I usually just lurk around and read most of these comments, but couldn't help myself to speak up when I read what 'ol thing11 had to say. Good work there, ace. Way to spout off negatively on something you seem to be completely unfamiliar with and have no knowledge of. Spot on, my brotha/ or sista! ...and yes, can't wait to see the boys with Fishman again. Really enjoyed Chicago. Lata.

Shmo-Kaine starstarstarstarstar Wed 4/2/2008 10:49AM

Shmo-Kaine

Always enjoy some good Tracks!!!

Bryan24 Wed 4/2/2008 10:50AM

Bryan24

Yeah thing11 is a big douche. I've seen him write the same thing about Claypool, Radiohead, and now Yonder. He also has said like the same thing about all of them. He obviously has no clue how talented these bands really are, or he's just some little kid trying to piss us off. either way he's an idiot.

phishr82 Wed 4/2/2008 10:54AM

phishr82

Thing11 is from hole in Delaware, I'd be pissed off too if I were him.

adster Wed 4/2/2008 10:59AM

Much like vasont just stated, I usually just lurk around, read the articles, but keep my opinions to myself and don't post. In recent days however, I have seen these thing11 posts on all the sites mentioned above, claypool, radiohead, yonder, and even pitchfork fest. I know this is a little hypocritcal cause im posting about him currently, but we should all just ignore him completely. Obviously he has only negative intentions on jambase and we should just erase his influence completely by ignoring him and never utterting his name again.

psogator43 Wed 4/2/2008 11:16AM

a little georgia love would be nice...guess ill have to catch em at the roo

joeyb4 Wed 4/2/2008 11:58AM

joeyb4

Again no Indiana show im giving up on good music! ya fuck thing11. Ill be catching YMSB @ Rothbury!

skyrockets Wed 4/2/2008 12:05PM

YMSB needs to add one more festival to their summer schedule...Allgood!

kandrokitis starstarstarstarstar Wed 4/2/2008 12:09PM

kandrokitis

Can't wait to catch these guys again in June. They tear it up every time.

adster Wed 4/2/2008 12:29PM

the desire to get a rise out of people is essentially the desire to create anger, resentment, frustration, and negativity, in a world that needs not these things

vespuchi2 starstarstarstarstar Wed 4/2/2008 12:32PM

vespuchi2

^ he reminds me of craigslist when you want to sell something and you get those bogus, computer made spam responses that are like all the same. in the virgin fest, he comments on kanye but still says that jambase should not report on this band, usually rap artists dont refer to themselves as a band.

anyway...wish yonder would make a quick chicago stop before/after rothbury when theyre in the midwest. northerly island would be perfect, some bluegrass in the heart of the city.

AZ~*Droo* Wed 4/2/2008 12:47PM

AZ~*Droo*

so how have the yonder/fishman shows been going? any recordings anywhere?

sciphotoman starstarstar Wed 4/2/2008 12:50PM

ya wanna know whats sucks...

nowadays when people mention yonder mountain string band, jon fishmans' name gets brought up.

that sucks.

yonder builds a great fan base, then takes a step backwards by playin with fishman.

msd413886669 Wed 4/2/2008 01:41PM

msd413886669

How the f^ck is playing with Fish a step back. You're out of your head. If you think for one minute that this isn't a great move on behalf of YMSB you're clueless. This will definitely help them increase their fan base and it will allow many Phiends to get a phix of their favorite drummer. And how could this be a step back. If you ask anyone in the group I'll bet you hands down they all say that it is a privilege and an honor to have Jon Fishman grace YMSB with his presence. His drumming techniques are uncanny and if you can't appreciate that, then stay away from the stage so the rest of us can enjoy this awesome experience. Man you people need to appreciate things, or keep your mouth shut.

shinjuku starstarstarstarstar Wed 4/2/2008 01:48PM

shinjuku

because no one did..

07/21/07 PromoWest Pavilion, Columbus, OH

Set I: New Horizons> East Nashville Easter> New Horizons, 40 Miles from Denver, Night Out, Different Day, Lord Only Knows (Part One)> Kentucky Mandolin, If I Lose, Looking Back Over My Shoulder> Death Trip

Set II: Angel, Damned If The Right One Didn't Go Wrong, Left Me in a Hole, Catch A Criminal, Girlfriend Is Better1, Snow on the Pines> It's All Too Much> Snow on the Pines, Mental Breakdown, Keep on Going> King Ebenezer Rap> Keep on Going

Encore: Sidewalk Stars, Another Day

1 Xavier Rudd on slide guitar, John on drum

(leatherface)

RothburyWithCheese starstarstarstarstar Wed 4/2/2008 02:20PM

RothburyWithCheese

Cant say enough good things about these guys. Seen them 6 times and number 7 will be Saturday at Stubbs. Next to Old and in the Way they are the greatest bluegrass band ever. Shit, I forgot Bill Monroe. My apologies to the father of bluegrass.

theivywall starstarstarstarstar Wed 4/2/2008 02:55PM

theivywall

Yonder! House of Blues show, night 2 I think from the Kinfolk festival in like 06 I wanna say...Reuben and Cherise cover to open. Probably one of the most beautiful moments of my little life.

O yeah, their songs are pretty good too.

Mark Price former NBA star starstarstarstarstar Wed 4/2/2008 04:39PM

Mark Price former NBA star

If I have to pick one band to see for the rest of my life, I would need a band with energy, dance energy, hot chicks dancing to every song, everysong kicks ass, and I would have the best time at, I would pick YMSB for so many reasons. THEY ARE GOD!!!

RamblinYonder Wed 4/2/2008 08:07PM

Yonder with Fishman lacks energy, I'd rather see them without him, or with Darol Anger instead. Is Yonder playin the Big Top tent this year?

Marcsmall Thu 4/3/2008 09:59AM

Marcsmall

Why is this website always 2-3 weeks behind when it comes to reporting certain stories. This was reported weeks ago on jambands and yonder's website. As they say....."A day late and a dollar short"

sbruce44 starstarstarstarstar Thu 4/3/2008 11:59AM

sbruce44

Yonder is the shit. I'm praying they come back to All Good, they were so good last year they controlled the weather. As for Fishman... I love Fishman and I think their partnership is a cool concept, but I prefer Yonder without him; I think Kaufmann's bass work breathes better without drums, and I really think that his rhythmic intricacies are a very underrated aspect of Yonder, and one of the things that separate them from other bluegrass progressives. Also, I personally just like my bluegrass to be strings only.

Marcsmall Thu 4/3/2008 09:23PM

Marcsmall

I prefer Yonder without Fishman as well.....If they were to use a drummer, though, I would rather see Jeff Sipe play with them. He is more experienced in bluegrass-style music and is just a much better all around drummer.