Body of War: Iraq War Veteran

Body of War: Songs that Inspired an Iraq War Veteran

Songs on the double-disk Body of War: Songs that Inspired an Iraq War Veteran were handpicked by Iraq War veteran Tomas Young and includes songs from the likes of Bright Eyes, Against Me!, Bruce Springsteen, Michael Franti & Spearhead, Tom Waits and Neil Young in addition to a previously unreleased, live version of "No More" by Eddie Vedder which was written specifically for the documentary and performed with Ben Harper at last year's Lollapalooza. All proceeds on the disk go to the Iraq Veterans Against the War (IVAW.org). Official Track Listing

CD 1:
1. Hero's Song - Brendan James
2. American Terrorist - Lupe Fiasco
3. Light Up Ya Lighter - Michael Franti & Spearhead
4. Guerilla Radio - Rage Against The Machine
5. Son Of A Bush - Public Enemy
6. Empty Walls - Serj Tankian
7. Let Them Eat War - Bad Religion
8. White People For Peace - Against Me!
9. Letter From Iraq - Bouncing Souls

14. Day After Tomorrow - Tom Waits

Links:
www.BodyOfWar.com
www.BodyOfWarMusic.com
www.YouTube.com/BodyOfWar

More Information:

This music, Young says, serves as his personal 'soundtrack for Iraq.' "The compilation record was an idea that grew out of my love of music and my reliance on it before, during, and after the war," he says. "The songs I selected for the record were tracks that inspired, motivated, and at times, literally saved me over the past few years."

"Tomas has taught me a great deal, and our friendship has become one of depth and sincerity," Vedder adds. "It has been a mind-expanding experience. I see how he relies on the strength of the songs to help him through each day. It is a true living example of the power of music."

All proceeds from Body of War: Songs That Inspired an Iraq War Veteran, which features original cover art designed and donated by acclaimed political artist Shepard Fairey, go to benefit the non-profit organization Iraq Veterans Against the War (IVAW), as chosen by Young. Founded in 2004 by Iraq war veterans, IVAW's goal is to give voice to the large number of active-duty service people and veterans who are against the war, but are under various pressures to remain silent. In September, Sire Records donated $100,000 to IVAW in the name of Young, who is a spokesperson for the organization.

[Published on: 3/31/08]

Comments

moejoerisin Mon 3/31/2008 10:46AM

moejoerisin

this looks absolutely phenomenal, and it's for the most direly important cause of our time: ending this immoral, illegal occupation and colonization of multiple sovereign nations, started in order to boost halliburton revenues and protect american hegemony of the oil market (in case you don't know, the real reason we invaded iraq, and are looking to invade iran, is because they both switched from selling their oil in U.S. dollars to euros. without oil being traded in dollars, the american empire is defunct. so it's not a war 'for' oil, but it is also).

looks like a great record with a lot of great artists.. politics is everything and therefore everything is politics. if you don't think musicians and artists should bring up politics, you're dead wrong... everyone should.

rdawson124 starstarstarstarstar Mon 3/31/2008 10:57AM

rdawson124

I would buy this.

phisherman81 star Mon 3/31/2008 11:02AM
gamecat starstarstar Mon 3/31/2008 11:11AM

gamecat

Saw the sneak peak by Bill Moyers on PBS the other night.

Great stuff.

Looking forward to seeing this film.

The music/tracklist is great as well.

gratefullybred Mon 3/31/2008 11:42AM

gratefullybred

people need to have an open mind here, and respect the views of people opposing/or for the war, especially veterans.

i dont see how any person who has fought and seen the bloodshed first hand has "inadequate" knowledge.

i think ill turn to fox news myself to remind me how many american soldiers we have lost in this campaign, and to remind me why it is time to bring the troops home.

Lord-K. starstarstarstarstar Mon 3/31/2008 11:43AM

Lord-K.

Maybe somebody should start to defy the powers that be rather than yawning

phisherman81 Mon 3/31/2008 11:49AM
Gary starstarstarstar Mon 3/31/2008 11:53AM

Gary

Great way to support the troops. Thanks for posting this - I wasn't aware!

Gary

phisherman81 Mon 3/31/2008 11:53AM
mookiepj10 Mon 3/31/2008 12:45PM

this is a link to democracy now's coverage of this story last week, if anyone is interested...it was a good piece.

moethug Mon 3/31/2008 12:55PM

moethug

im not saying buying a bruce springsteen cd is going to stop the war but it is a start to something that needs to be done. People have the wrong mentality when they believe that they cant do anything to stop the war. If nobody does anything then it will never be over.

joeyb4 Mon 3/31/2008 01:20PM

joeyb4

I wouldnt mind supporting, but this look retarted. at least the song choices. nice post though!

mikemac9317 Mon 3/31/2008 01:29PM

mikemac9317

Hey phisherman,

Since you know first hand about the war, what your track list include. Are u just pissed because you weren't picked or what?

rulosa01 starstarstarstarstar Mon 3/31/2008 02:03PM

If it wasn't for the unwinnable(that's right I said it) war we are fighting in the Middle East Team America could actually be doing some good right now. I don't know if any of you have heard about the current atrocities in Tibet or Darfur. Monks and Africans don't have the crude oil or family ties (Saudis) necessary for the American gov't to give a fuck. I guess the right to live is exclusive to Americans.

Phisherman I think you missed the point with a bit of your posts. You make note about how some of the bands on here are teeny-bopper crap. Well if you look at cd sales teeny bopper emo is selling. If I was trying to raise money for a cause perhaps getting artists that actually sell a lot of records involved wouldn't be a bad idea, eh?

From the IVAW website:

"From its inception, IVAW has called for:

* Immediate withdrawal of all occupying forces in Iraq;

* Reparations for the human and structural damages Iraq has suffered, and stopping the corporate pillaging of Iraq so that their people can control their own lives and future; and

* Full benefits, adequate healthcare (including mental health), and other supports for returning servicemen and women."

My guess, and I am guessing here, is that quite a few Jambasers agree with these statements.

YAWN - I'm tired of unnecessary negativity on Jambase. Maybe I should turn to Foxnews to watch people spew out opinions without sounding like assholes?

jimmy row Mon 3/31/2008 02:15PM

i cant believe you phisherman.....pretty idiotic.

moejoerisin Mon 3/31/2008 03:40PM

moejoerisin

"Maybe I should turn to Foxnews to watch people spew out opinions without sounding like assholes?"

good luck finding that on fox news (or should i say faux news)...

kirkbrew Mon 3/31/2008 03:52PM

kirkbrew

Sucky track list, but appears to be a good cause. I’d rather just give them $50 and skip the mix.

“Just because they are "Veterns" who are "Against" the "War" does not mean that they are informed, righteous or just...”

That’s funny because W, Cheney, Condi, Wolfwitz and Rummy were righteous, informed and unjust.

PrinceofDANKNESS Mon 3/31/2008 04:37PM
cuttyfives Mon 3/31/2008 05:47PM

Go see Stop Loss!!!! HAHAHAHA Just Kidding. unless thats your bag

adamben1 Mon 3/31/2008 05:51PM

all i see are naive opinions on a topic that none of you understand. "Iraq Veterans Against the War" are wasting their time, because the government is currently spending billions of dollars on updating and rebuilding military facilities so that they will be permanent fixtures in Iraq for years to come. Just like we still have soldiers in Japan and Germany, we will continue to have troops in Iraq for the next 20-30 years. Why? Because it is the only place in the Middle East where we have an excuse to keep thousands of soldiers and hundreds of billions of dollars in bombers for years to come. It was never about WMDs, nor Halliburton, nor Bush Sr and his oil profits. if you think Obama is going to get all of our troops home, then you've proven yourself retarded. "No new taxes" - Bush Sr. "I will not send anymore of our boys to Vietnam" - LBJ. If you can't understand, let me explain it to you: the leaders of our nation don't give a shit about people who protest, because they're too busy insuring the security of our nation. go see a moe. show (or go watch stop loss), and please keep your opinions on the war to yourself and to your other follow-the-piper political morons.

-a soldier

P.S. "current atrocities in Tibet or Darfur" Give me a fucking break... Quit getting your political activism off of bumper stickers. What about the millions of people throughout the rest of the world that need help? Do you care about them, or can you not remember them because you haven't seen their name on a t-shirt before. The U.S. will not do ANYTHING for Tibet or Darfur. FACT. Get over it.

stoops Mon 3/31/2008 07:09PM

stoops

bummer; i'm so into the boss, but i don't want to give any money to ivaw. help, i'm so torn!

theragman Mon 3/31/2008 07:52PM

right on. go tomas.

HoodooVoodoo star Mon 3/31/2008 08:37PM

HoodooVoodoo

I don't mean to sound all Holden Caulfieldish...but Eddie Vedder is a phony with a capital P.

sbruce44 starstarstarstarstar Tue 4/1/2008 09:32AM

sbruce44

Answer: Nuance and realism.

Question: What is lacking in the comments and general political views of the people on this message board? (Except for you adamben1 - well said.)

ykmgeedee starstarstarstar Tue 4/1/2008 09:54AM

I don't think it's a waste of time to protest a war. Adamben, you were doing so well after the 1st sentence until you went all naive: "Because they're too busy insuring the security of our nation". That's a pretty optimistic take on the rationale of this Neo-con administration starting a war. Too bad these soldiers are having to fight in such an unjust BUllSHit war. I know the War Machine will keep turning regardless of who's prez- absolutely it will unless enough citizens educate themselves and dare speak out against the status quo. Just because something is doesn't mean it has to be. Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free. Dizzying with possibilities.

adamben1 Tue 4/1/2008 12:01PM

"unless enough citizens educate themselves and dare speak out against..."

right there! you are totally missing the point. just stick to your michael moore ideologies, because they are easier for you to understand. iraq is not a democracy in the middle of a tormented region and its definately not a human rights issue for our administration (and by administration, it doesnt matter who the president is or who the appointed members for that president are). iraq was the doorway for a PERMENANT military presence beside Iran and Pakistan.

the architects of this modern world hand down the world framework from leader to leader, and they do whatever it takes to keep that going. in the span of 500 years, nobody gives a shit about 4000 people that died, or someone who had to do a whole 24 month tour "against their will". what they will care about (and not even consciously), is that the world went on as it should, and there were no major catastrophes that endangered our ongoing civilization.

Lord-K. starstarstarstarstar Tue 4/1/2008 12:45PM

Lord-K.

If Iraq is not a democracy then why does our administration of hypocrisy use that as their battle cry? Obviously there are not human rights issues concerned with this matter look at Guantanomo Bay, what has permanent military presence brought to the region, there is no more stability than there was with Saddam, a 60 trillion dollar debt is about all that has become of this finincial blunder no major catastrphies? Recession, credit crisis, housing crisis this country is looking great!

Andy starstarstarstarstar Tue 4/1/2008 01:18PM

Andy

PrinceofDANKNESS, if you think the this "war" would be fought on american soil then that shows just how ignorant you are! It is a civil war! Even fox news says that.

rulosa01 Tue 4/1/2008 02:26PM

adamben1 - you have opinions and they are insightful but by insulting anyone who disagrees with you your opinions become less valid.

One could make plenty of assumptions about whereabouts you get your information and how insightful it actually is. It is your assumptions about others disagreeing opinions that hurt your own.

"What about the millions of people throughout the rest of the world that need help? Do you care about them, or can you not remember them because you haven't seen their name on a t-shirt before."

I do care about the millions of people who need I help. I care about you, I care about my cat, I care about George W. Much like many Tibetans I am concerned with all sentient beings. Have a beautiful day.

adamben1 Tue 4/1/2008 05:44PM

well put, rulosa, until your american faux buddhism surfaced ;)

understand where i am coming from: i am a college student, and i'm also a democrat. and all day i have to listen to other college students say the STUPIDEST things about the "war". i have to listen to them talk about peace, and supporting the troops, and fuck bush, and blah blah blah. and their idiocy gives myself--as a college age democrat--a bad name. and the best part is, they will cost the democratic party yet ANOTHER election come november. and on top of it, every time i go to a music festival michael franti has to rub it in my face. he has to rub it in my face that his attitude and voice (along with everyone else's), cost millions of suffering people IN OUR COUNTRY the government aid they need by opening the white house door for more republicans. so express your opinion, what do i care...

happydestiny Tue 4/1/2008 06:23PM

happydestiny

thank you sbruce and adamben for actually posting realistic well thought out comments

cuttyfives Tue 4/1/2008 08:24PM

adamben...you are correct, the banterings by college educated hippies(as Cartman might say)drives me nuts.

cuttyfives Tue 4/1/2008 08:25PM

*know it all not college educated...my bad

nuke_ticketbastard starstarstarstar Wed 4/2/2008 08:18AM

"the world went on as it should and there were no major catastrophes that endangered our ongoing civilization"

that is fucked up

our ongoing civilization IS a fucking major catastrophe - just look around you - we as human beings are the worst thing to hit this planet since the asteroid that killed all the dinosaurs that never existed to begin with.

nobody can stop what has already begun ....

Lord-K. starstarstarstarstar Wed 4/2/2008 08:52AM

Lord-K.

Kizzy pure brillance I wish that everyone could look at the larger scope of things regarding time and not form opinions based on thinking that we are the pinnacle of creation

rulosa01 Wed 4/2/2008 09:06AM

adamben i agree with all of your last comments there. I find, as a student, that most college students express stupid opinions on just about anything, politics or otherwise, and take them as valid simply due to their college education. I too find it obnoxious and annoying when people talk about shit they really do not know about. I also find it obnoxious when people make assumptions about what I do and do not know. American Faux Buddhism? Give me a break - comments like these make your argument weak because you have gone from discussing the actual issue - the war - to an assumed judgement/penned stereotype. I could make plenty of assumptions about you and your character based on your comments, but that would be foolish. I don't understand why people, especially on jambase, are unable to have disagreeing opinions without attacking other peoples characters or beliefs. Clearly you have a different perspective on the war than most people on Jambase, you make plenty of good points that promote a forward moving discussion of the issue--just leave negative comments about those who disagree with you to the side--they hurt your argument.

Which upon re-reading I agree with most of. Certainly the Middle-East ss an area important to the United States - principally due to oil but also land access such as you mentioned. We do have military stations all across the globe so it is understandable to have them in the middle east as well. My issues with the war have more to do with the poor planning involved, the cultural issues, and the contractors who are "rebuilding" the country.

I also get annoyed with college bongsmen talking about Iraq/speaking out against the war without actually having any idea about what is going on. Many people consider a joint and an episode of the Daily Show about as much information as is necessary to call for an end to this mess. Unfortunately the war, and indeed the entire world, is far too complicated. I apologize if at any point I sounded condenscending, that was not and is not my intention. I have no idea how to bring about peace in the world. I can only attempt to bring about peace in my own life and with the people who surround me. How can we expect peace worldwide if we have yet to accomplish peace for ourselves, with our neighbors, and indeed any and all of our communities?

Have a beautiful day

ykmgeedee Thu 4/3/2008 09:30AM

Adamben1, real sorry that college students give you a bad name. Perhaps they can't help it as they've been brainwashed by the ivory towers into thinking that by living in a democratic nation they have the ability to speak up and to affect change. Let's hope they wise up real soon and drop their trivial concerns. I and I'd guess many others have issues similar to the 3 that rulosa01 mentioned. So we attempt to make our voices heard. It's lazy and easy to be cynical. Don't cop-out.