Body of War: Songs that Inspired an Iraq War Veteran
Songs on the double-disk Body of War: Songs that Inspired an Iraq War Veteran were handpicked by Iraq War veteran Tomas Young and includes songs from the likes of Bright Eyes, Against Me!, Bruce Springsteen, Michael Franti & Spearhead, Tom Waits and Neil Young in addition to a previously unreleased, live version of "No More" by Eddie Vedder which was written specifically for the documentary and performed with Ben Harper at last year's Lollapalooza. All proceeds on the disk go to the Iraq Veterans Against the War (IVAW.org).
Official Track Listing
1. Hero's Song - Brendan James
2. American Terrorist - Lupe Fiasco
3. Light Up Ya Lighter - Michael Franti & Spearhead
4. Guerilla Radio - Rage Against The Machine
5. Son Of A Bush - Public Enemy
6. Empty Walls - Serj Tankian
7. Let Them Eat War - Bad Religion
8. White People For Peace - Against Me!
9. Letter From Iraq - Bouncing Souls
10. War - Dilated Peoples
11. Overcome (The Recapitulation) - RX Bandits
12. Fields Of Agony - No Use For A Name
13. Bushonomics - Talib Kweli & Cornel West
14. The 4th Branch - Immortal Technique
15. B.Y.O.B. - System Of A Down
16. No More (Live) - Eddie Vedder & Ben Harper
1. Devils & Dust - Bruce Springsteen
2. Masters Of War (Live) - Pearl Jam
3. When The President Talks To God - Bright Eyes
4. Gimme Some Truth - John Lennon
5. The Restless Consumer - Neil Young
6. Battle Hymns - The Nightwatchman
7. Anthrax - Kimya Dawson
8. WMD - Blow Up Hollywood
9. State Of The Union - David Ford
10. Yo George - Tori Amos
11. Love Vigilantes - Laura Cantrell
12. Black Rain - Ben Harper
13. To Kill The Child - Roger Waters
14. Day After Tomorrow - Tom Waits
This music, Young says, serves as his personal 'soundtrack for Iraq.' "The compilation record was an idea that grew out of my love of music and my reliance on it before, during, and after the war," he says. "The songs I selected for the record were tracks that inspired, motivated, and at times, literally saved me over the past few years."
"Tomas has taught me a great deal, and our friendship has become one of depth and sincerity," Vedder adds. "It has been a mind-expanding experience. I see how he relies on the strength of the songs to help him through each day. It is a true living example of the power of music."
All proceeds from Body of War: Songs That Inspired an Iraq War Veteran, which features original cover art designed and donated by acclaimed political artist Shepard Fairey, go to benefit the non-profit organization Iraq Veterans Against the War (IVAW), as chosen by Young. Founded in 2004 by Iraq war veterans, IVAW's goal is to give voice to the large number of active-duty service people and veterans who are against the war, but are under various pressures to remain silent. In September, Sire Records donated $100,000 to IVAW in the name of Young, who is a spokesperson for the organization.