2008 Plug Award Winners

INDEPENDENDENT MUSIC HONORED
IRON & WINE, ANDREW BIRD, ARCADE FIRE WIN

Neon Bible
The 2008 Plug Independent Music Awards were given out last Thursday night, March 6, at an evening hosted by comedian Patton Oswalt that included performances from Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, José González, St. Vincet and Dizzee Rascal.

Here are the 2008 winners:

Iron & Wine - The Shepherd's Dog

METAL ALBUM OF THE YEAR
The Dillinger Escape Plan - Ire Works

HIP-HOP ALBUM OF THE YEAR
Aesop Rock - None Shall Pass

PUNK ALBUM OF THE YEAR
Gogol Bordello - Super Taranta!

ELECTRONIC/DANCE ALBUM OF THE YEAR
Justice -

DJ ALBUM OF THE YEAR
Hot Chip - DJ Kicks

AVANT ALBUM OF THE YEAR
Liars – Liars

ARTIST OF THE YEAR
Radiohead

SONG OF THE YEAR
The National - "Fake Empire"

LIVE ACT OF THE YEAR

iTunes

COLLEGE/NON-COMM RADIO STATION OF THE YEAR
KEXP

SPECIALTY SHOW OF THE YEAR
Sirius: Left Of Center - Blog Radio

[Published on: 3/8/08]

Comments

Roy G Biv starstarstarstarstar Sat 3/8/2008 04:28PM

Roy G Biv

Excellent! Iron & Wine definitely deserve awards for their newest album. It is one of my favorite.

timmyp Sat 3/8/2008 04:29PM

timmyp

it's great to see justice getting some props. they have been popping up everywhere lately and it makes me wonder what the crowd will be like when i go to see them 3/19. can anyone tell me what their live show is like? what will the crowd be like? dj set or live production?

jerry07 star Sun 3/9/2008 12:43PM
PrinceofDANKNESS Sun 3/9/2008 10:43PM
happydestiny Mon 3/10/2008 01:32AM

happydestiny

jerry07, ur a moron 'i sampled these bands on itunes and they sucked' yeah I am sure the commercial crap you heard on itunes does all of these bands JUSTICE. oh and justice by the way throws one hell of a dance party.100 to 1 you never seen them and still are talkin shit. don't get me wrong, I love me some lotus but to compare the style of them to justice is just plain silly. two different genres dumbass

timmyp check em out live justice is smokin'

happydestiny Mon 3/10/2008 01:40AM

happydestiny

Oh yeah, jerry07, your favorite bands include coldplay and OAR which means your credibility is nonexistant.

Shmo-Kaine Mon 3/10/2008 06:48AM

Shmo-Kaine

Is Arcade Fire really that good, to win live act and album? I personally thought they sucked balls.

youenjoymyself33 Mon 3/10/2008 09:04AM

youenjoymyself33

arcade fire really is that good. saw them last year and it made it into my top five shows ever. i definitely recommend checking them out, but get your hands on their album 'funeral' before you listen to 'neon bible'.

and jerry07, this plug awards people aren't full of shit. they are all people who are open-minded enough about music to give out awards for metal, americana, indie and dance all in the same show.

princeofdankness, please explain to me how this is mainstream. i thought mainstream bands are fall out boy, paramore, etc. i know that when i mention the names of most of these bands to people they won't know who i'm talking about, which would make them the opposite of mainstream. (other than radiohead obviously) so...let me know.

Andy starstarstarstarstar Mon 3/10/2008 10:22AM

Andy

Yes, KEXP from Seattle won best radio station!! KEXP is excelent and I am so happy they are being honored for it!

jerry07 Mon 3/10/2008 10:56AM

jerry07

chillyh20- way to jump on my nuts man- chill out- justice just plain sucked

O one more thing- I liked how you commented on me liking OAR and Coldplay- yeah they aren't the best bands in the world, but in your favs you had the black eyed peas- commaon man are you a 14 year old girl.

manlejo starstarstarstar Mon 3/10/2008 11:01AM

Arcade Fire, Radiohead, KEXP, The National- I'm down with these awards, for sure. Can someone recommend some good Andrew Bird, though? I've been told I would dig him, but all I've heard is kind of wussy drab music. Where's a good example of what he can produce?

sleewell star Mon 3/10/2008 11:15AM

sleewell

arcade fire - best live act of the year?!?!

coachella - best festival of the year?!?!

weak sauce.

manlejo Mon 3/10/2008 02:07PM

I'll admit, coachella as best festy sort of identifies what type of crowd these awards were aiming at, but Arcade Fire rocks. Don't care what any of the haters on this site have to say- there is such thing as good modern rock.

kirkbrew starstarstarstar Mon 3/10/2008 02:19PM

kirkbrew

Not sure I’d say Neon Bible was album of the year, but AF was the best live band I’ve seen in a LONG time. Album should be Sky Blue Sky (Wilco) or Armchair Arachnophobia (Andrew Bird).

Andrew Bird rules, Pitchfork sucks, KCRW rules and so does KEXP.

manlejo – I really like both Armchair and Mysterious production of Eggs. Those are the last two albums. The only other one I know is Weather Systems which is not all that great.

Is Jerry07 the former LiberalsForMichaelSaganiva?

nuke_ticketbastard starstarstar Tue 3/11/2008 05:34AM

kirkbrew - i could be mistaken , but isn't the andrew bird album you are talking about called "armchair apocrapha" - i am not sure on the spelling but it definately has some sort of story behind the album name . it is too early am though and my brain is still on autopilot... and yeah i would have too agree that arcade fire album could not be the best of the year.

i am assuming that these 2008 awards are for stuff from 07 in which case imho the hold steady album was the best of last year! just mho though !

benjaminsochko Tue 3/11/2008 05:54AM

benjaminsochko

Bonnaroo is way better than coachella....and iron and wine aren't that good douches!

Lenox Tue 3/11/2008 07:00AM

Lenox

you sir, jerry07, could not possibly be more wrong about justice.. you could try, but you would not succeed.

manlejo Tue 3/11/2008 01:44PM

Thanks, Kirkbrew. Maybe Neon Bible wasn't THE best album, but it was one of the top few, I loved that shit. How about In Rainbows? After a coupla listens, it's really growing on me as further evidence of Radiohead's genius...