Dave Grohl For Prez in Harp

March Issue of Harp En Route
Nirvana/Foo Fighters' Grohl Announces Bid for Presidency

Set to hit newsstands the first week of March is the latest issue of Harp, now in its seventh year of publication. For the cover story Harp has a worldwide exclusive: Dave Grohl throws his hat into the ring to run for President of the United States.

Talking candidly with Harp Editor-In-Chief Scott Crawford, the Foo Fighters frontman holds forth on what prompted him to make a White House bid as an Independent candidate. Among his wit and wisdom:

On why he's the right candidate for the job: "There's this redneck image of America that's been cultivated over the last eight years by our redneck president. America has blue states, red states and all kinds of divisions, but we need someone to bring them all together—and that person is me. Every night when I'm on tour, I bring my message to thousands and thousands of people. There's 10 thousand people that woke up this morning and felt like America is the right place to be because at our show last night they were spilling beer all over themselves and tongue kissing for two hours. What other candidate can do that?"

On what's wrong with America: "To keep cool in the summertime as a kid I turned on the hose and I drank from it. I want America to come back to that place where we're all drinking from the hose. I think that's a perfect metaphor for what's gone wrong in this country. Water is now more expensive than gasoline. How is that possible? It's because in this country, corporate domination dictates our daily lives."

On what will bring America together: "I think that what the country needs now is a good, smoky barbecue—family style, at least once a week, winter months included. It's important that people bring it back to cooking over the fire as a family unit. You know what I do when I sit around a grill with my family? I talk. We talk. It's something about that hickory smoke that brings my family together—and friends. And that's where I really get to share and learn with my family and fellow Americans. It's around that grill. It's two beers, it's three beers, it's four beers, it's 10 beers. This is what America needs—beer, and barbecue. It's the red, white and barbecue."

On George W. Bush's eight-year reign: "I can't think of one president that's been more detrimental to this country than George Bush. He's not only set us back 50 years, I think he set us back 10,000 years. Morally this country has become prehistoric. I want us to be morally futuristic. I want to be so forward focused that we redefine American morals: family, music, barbecues."

On the immigration issue: "Let me make a musical analogy: I look at America as if it were Wembley stadium — it's only so big but you can fit a lot of people in it. As president of the United States of America, I promise to rock the fucking house — and everyone's invited."

On the war in Iraq: "I'm going to make war illegal. I'm going to make war against the law. No war. None. Anywhere."

On "change": "I want to present a different kind of change. I want to change change. If you continue to change change then it truly becomes change whether it's technology, society, the economy, or the spreading of democracy. I want to be the president that takes change and changes it over and over again."

Elsewhere Harp's 17-page Election 2008 Special Section will be more humorous looks at the American political landscape, among them Andy Andrist's "Presidential Firsts," Scharpling & Wurster's "Not-So-Strange Bedfellows," a capsule history of celebrities-turned-candidates, and a gotcha! peek a what was really playing on Democratic and Republican candidates' iPods during the early primary season. It's not all yuks, however: Harp has commissioned a number of thoughtful, even provocative, politically-themed essays from James McMurtry, Chris Lee, Anti-Flag's Justin Sane, D.O.A.'s Joe Shithead Keithly and Grace Potter (of Grace Potter & the Nocturnals, who literally drapes herself in the American flag to prove her point).

Also in the March issue Harp will feature an exclusive interview conducted by JamBase's own Aaron Kayce with Danger Mouse, who discusses Gnarls Barkley and his life as a producer du jour; an in-depth profile of that little old band from Akron, the Black Keys; a behind the scenes look at the second season of MTV's hilarious Human Giant; a conversation with noir novelist and The Wire writer George Pelecanos; and — shades of fear and loathing — a surreal journey to Las Vegas for a Beatles fan convention. Rounding things out is Harp's usual roster of departments and over 100 CD, DVD and book reviews. Reserve your copy of Harp at your newsagent now, or go to www.harpmagazine.com for details on how to subscribe.

[Published on: 2/20/08]

Comments

moejoerisin Wed 2/20/2008 10:13AM

moejoerisin

is that dave grohl or barack obama?

Frank Wed 2/20/2008 10:45AM

Frank

This is almost as good as when Hulk Hogan ran for president.

PhatMaw Wed 2/20/2008 11:00AM

Dave Grohl Wisconsin is behind you. (yes we are all here right now)

aquariumdrunk Wed 2/20/2008 11:05AM

aquariumdrunk

"Grace Potter (of Grace Potter & the Nocturnals, who literally drapes herself in the American flag to prove her point)."

I'm glad I subscribe.

Astronaut Jones starstarstarstarstar Wed 2/20/2008 11:12AM

Astronaut Jones

it sure isn't ron paul, moejoe. and where does water cost more than gasoline, dave? i am down with his whole B-B-Q theory however.

NickSoda star Wed 2/20/2008 12:15PM

NickSoda

Wisconsin is not behind you. this means absolutely nothing. period.

DaKracken Wed 2/20/2008 12:59PM

just joshin-If you bought enough bottled water to fill a gallon you will spend more than $3.05 per gallon is the point.

Astronaut Jones Wed 2/20/2008 01:07PM

Astronaut Jones

yeah thanks i realize what he's trying to say, but per gallon (not buying $2.00 a bottle water and pouring it into a gallon jug) water is not more than gas. try again.

BRabbit Wed 2/20/2008 01:08PM

BRabbit

hey justin-joshin water does not coast as much as gasoline however they are becoming pretty close. next time when your at a gas staion compare them. Michigan will most likely become an empire in 20-30 years, because of the great lakes. Water is running low and is becoming more and more exspensive. I mean cali already tried buying the great lakes and running a pipe from michigan to cali to help support the shortage of water in their state. Its going to interesting how we handel our water supply the next 10 years. I am for the BBQ as well right on america we need to grill some food and grove to some funk. lets start a revoulution Dave. Peace. Jambase where is the all good lineup? could you give it to us please

okfunkjunkie starstarstarstarstar Wed 2/20/2008 01:24PM

I also agree that water is a very important resource that is becoming more and more scarce. But the reason bottled water is so expensive is simply because there are so many dumbasses that will pay that much for a bottle of water, not because water is some scarce resource.

anonymous starstarstarstarstar Wed 2/20/2008 01:49PM

anonymous

he was comparing bottled water prices to gas prices....and yes, mathematically speaking, when you compare 2 items you have to compare equal quantities of them....so whether you convert 20 oz bottled water prices to gallons or you convert gallon gas prices to 20 oz prices; they have to be equal quantities......and yep, either way...bottled water is more than gas.......

you can still write a hell of a song, put out one quality record after another, and were there for us when nirvana faded..thank you!

and to all those here that don't like his music or style and you can only appreciate YOUR favorite music, sorry about your luck, as YOU are the ones missing out on some great tunes

Frank Wed 2/20/2008 03:55PM

Frank

"Dave, you have my vote! (and for way more reasons than this stupid bottled water question)

you can still write a hell of a song, put out one quality record after another, and were there for us when nirvana faded...thank you!"

Yea, because writing a song and selling records are similar to running the country. I don't mind foo fighters from years ago...but come on, President?

anonymous starstarstarstarstar Wed 2/20/2008 06:09PM

anonymous

ok....i admit a bit overzealous.....just hated seeing anyone diss on dave for any reason....but with the fools on both sides running.....one of them will be prez, and i'd just as soon say i got to vote for dave

bobertjohnson Wed 2/20/2008 06:25PM

You do not have my vote, that's a joke.

okalrightic Thu 2/21/2008 06:18AM

im running now too, vote for me jambase

nuke_ticketbastard starstarstarstarstar Thu 2/21/2008 09:04AM

yeah right a muscician as president , thats about as likely as an actor being president , or governor .

i will vote for dave though , cause i love a good BBq

Frank Thu 2/21/2008 09:27AM

Frank

Ronald Reagan? The actor?

nuke_ticketbastard Fri 2/22/2008 09:09AM

c'mon animal - you just won the bedtime for bonzo prize for least likely to get a joke.... sheesh