Byrne, Masekela Celebrate Simon

LOVE IN HARD TIMES: THE MUSIC OF PAUL SIMON

PRODUCED BY BAM

Paul Simon
In an unprecedented month-long residency at BAM, Paul Simon collaborates with an extraordinary range of artists to offer three musical constellations from the career of one of America's greatest songwriters.

Latin beats and 50s doo-wop fill New York City's nights with Songs from The Capeman. In Under African Skies, Simon rekindles a love affair with the sounds of South Africa and Brazil which began with his masterpieces Graceland and The Rhythm of the Saints. Finally, Simon revisits the quiet railway stations, urban rhythms, and immigrant dreams of his greatest American Tunes.

SONGS FROM THE CAPEMAN
Oscar Hernández and The Spanish Harlem Orchestra
Featuring performances by Claudette Sierra, Obie Bermudez, Ray De La Paz, Paul Simon
Special guest performance by Little Anthony and The Imperials
More artists to be announced

April 1—6 at 8 p.m.
BAM Harvey Theater
$30, 50, 65

UNDER AFRICAN SKIES
Featuring performances by Hugh Masekela, Milton Nascimento, Kaïssa, David Byrne, Luciana Souza, Paul Simon
More artists to be announced

April 9* at 7 p.m.
April 10—13 at 8 p.m.

BAM Howard Gilman Opera House
$45, 60, 75, 95
*BAM 2008 Spring Gala

AMERICAN TUNES
Featuring performances by Olu Dara, Grizzly Bear, The Roches, Paul Simon
More artists to be announced

April 23—27 at 8 p.m.
BAM Howard Gilman Opera House
$45, 60, 75, 95

Comments

Flat5 Tue 1/29/2008 10:58AM
AZ~*Droo* Tue 1/29/2008 11:03AM

AZ~*Droo*

^^ur joking right?

hippyjessica starstarstarstar Tue 1/29/2008 11:20AM

hippyjessica

The best cover of Under African Skies is by the Cheese. I miss them ):

vollostcom Tue 1/29/2008 12:12PM

vollostcom

me too jessica damn them for what theve done to us, EOTO and ziLLa are hot but not as hot as cheese, and DREW thats effing awesome, soundtribe at a paul simon gig, or how bout sound tribe anywhere, blah. is this event in NYC?

gmoo Tue 1/29/2008 12:55PM

gmoo

I heard STS9 and Moe. are gonna be there with Paul Simon. I also heard there was gonna be a 50 minute Timmy Tucker into a 45 min Kamuy. I don't know if its true, but I also heard a rumor that Roger Waters and Reed Mathis are gonna have a 30 min bass off with Stanley Clarke as the judge. After that, Cheese and Phish will reunite and play WYWH for 45 minutes.

On a serious note, this looks pretty f'in sweet.

BRabbit Tue 1/29/2008 01:23PM

BRabbit

Gmoo. you funny guy you.

ao1 starstarstarstarstar Tue 1/29/2008 06:25PM

ao1

paul simon, byrne and masekela sounds good to me...terrific musicians...terrific music.....the only thing missing is a battle between dr.didg and xavier rudd

toeknee420 Tue 1/29/2008 08:55PM

toeknee420

I can't get enough David Byrne for some reason.

phishmann starstarstarstar Tue 1/29/2008 09:11PM

phishmann

look into the eye ball, i love that disc.

phishmann starstarstarstar Tue 1/29/2008 09:12PM

phishmann

look into the eye ball, i love that disc.

kirkbrew Wed 1/30/2008 11:34AM

kirkbrew

Byrne was using African and Brazilian influences (some call it ripping off) a decade before anyone else. Fear of Music was done in 1979 and WAY ahead of Simon. Catharine Wheel 1981, Naked 1988 and Rei Momo 1989.

Easily one of the great musical minds of our time.

coach1 star Wed 1/30/2008 11:40AM

I guess he's not doing Graceland because he couldn't get Los Lobos to perform it for him. Anybody read Scott Caffrey's interview with Steve Berlin(Los Lobos)? All of my respect for Paul Simon is gone.

gmoo Wed 1/30/2008 01:00PM

gmoo

"Byrne was using African and Brazilian influences (some call it ripping off) a decade before anyone else."

I don't mean to be rude, but this is a false statement. I think Herbie Hancock would have something to say about that.

kevfro Wed 1/30/2008 10:42PM

Songs From The Capeman....a Simon treasure

Brilliant doo-wop, latin harmonies, an amazing story of redemption

Hugh Masekela...a living legend

Yo

wish I wasn't moving to Austalia in two days or I'b be there in a flash

"these are the days of miracle and wonder"

phunkygemini Thu 1/31/2008 08:06AM

phunkygemini

Wow coach1, I just read that interview and I am in shock. I was completely oblivious to this story. Paul Simon certainly seems like a disappointing prick.

gmoo Thu 1/31/2008 10:01AM

gmoo

^^^agreed. I just read the interview as well. Puts a damper on things...

vollostcom Thu 1/31/2008 11:27PM

vollostcom

where is this interview @,i mean i want to read it but im such a simon fan and not a los lobos at all, just interested, and who he should get to play graceland should well be brock butler from pgroove...

coach1 Sat 2/2/2008 12:07PM

Search for the article under Steve Berlin and Scott Caffrey. I had to google it, for some reason the jambase search didn't work. If you're a fan of Graceland, then you're a fan or Los Lobos.

PCPrabbit Wed 2/6/2008 06:52AM

PCPrabbit

holy crap. my head is spinning and I can't make out the details....Byrne and Simon......TOGETHER!?!?!?!?! are you F*****g serious!?!?!?

PCPrabbit Wed 2/6/2008 07:24AM

PCPrabbit

just read the interview too. that really sucks. i wonder why they didn't sue or approach him? i guess sueing would have been a big investment for LL. sorry to say, but that still doesn't spoil simon for me. LL seems to be doing well for themselves right now so i guess it's kinda water under the bridge. still messed up tho.

Related Goods