Page Says No Zep This Summer

Jimmy Page Says No Chance Of Led Zeppelin Tour Until September At Earliest

Led Zeppelin
Following the high-profile Led Zeppelin reunion on December 10 at London's 02 Arena (read the review here), rumors have been rampant regarding a full-scale Zep tour. However, speaking today (January 28) from Tokyo, guitarist Jimmy Page said, "The amount of work that we put into the 02, both for ourselves rehearsing and also for the staging of it, was probably what you'd put into a world tour anyway."

Page went on to say that Zeppelin vocalist Robert Plant "also has a parallel project running [with Alison Krauss called Raising Sand, tour begins in April]; and he's really busy with that project, certainly until September. So I can't give you any news on anything at the moment."

Page was in Japan promoting the band's new compilation Mothership and was asked if faithful fans that have purchased Led Zeppelin products over the years should pick up Mothership. Page responded, "Please don't. I don't want you to buy it." He explained that Mothership was created to replace the 1999 compilations Early Days and Latter Days, which Page was dissatisfied with. "The overall packaging just did not have the quality of what we expect from Led Zeppelin and what I think everyone else expects from Led Zeppelin," said Page. "It just made sense to have something done so we don't have to think about it again."

[Published on: 1/28/08]

Comments

PhatBoyRy Mon 1/28/2008 12:51PM

PhatBoyRy

Knew it had to be too good to be true

gmoo starstar Mon 1/28/2008 01:07PM

gmoo

I think they need more greatest hits CD's released in the meantime.

Shmo-Kaine starstarstarstar Mon 1/28/2008 01:09PM

Shmo-Kaine

Can't wait for September. I'm keeping my fingers crossed and am hoping for a glorious return.

crescentvale Mon 1/28/2008 01:10PM

crescentvale

Bonnaroo 02-03 photos avaible on my jambase. Enjoy.

RothburyWithCheese star Mon 1/28/2008 02:05PM
Muffinman1 Mon 1/28/2008 02:24PM

Muffinman1

I love Zep A LOT, but I didn't think they would be great bonnaroo headliner anyways. i would love to see them still. Bring back TOOL!!!

acomma Mon 1/28/2008 02:38PM

acomma

I bet Alice in Chains will have something big to do with Bonnaroo this summer. They are releasing a new CD with a new lead singer, which in my opinion is a travesty. No one will ever replace Layne. And how can you feel good about yourself touring under the same name? AiC isn't quite the same without Layne. Anyway, Zep is great, but I wouldn't pay more than $20 to see them. There are thousands of other bands who currently put on a better show than I bet these guys are capable of.

Dolemite Mon 1/28/2008 02:38PM

"Or maybe Superfly will reunite the Presidents of the united states of America and have them close out the festival."

They're already reuinted and touring this spring.

briank67 Mon 1/28/2008 03:40PM

briank67

"early days/latter days" is what got me into this band. i would like to see them live but oh well, this crosses one big name off the "possible festival headliners" list.

MyDogIsBlaze Mon 1/28/2008 03:44PM

MyDogIsBlaze

So I shouldn't buy mothership? what's he saying, i am dazed and confused.

sleewell starstarstar Mon 1/28/2008 03:58PM

sleewell

this seems to be conflicting with a report on yahoo right now. they say Page is calling for a world tour since they put so much work into the reunion show. odd.

DrFunkinstein Mon 1/28/2008 04:00PM

DrFunkinstein

every zeppelin album is its own greatest hits, get them all and you will not be sorry. i have both early/later days and while they have fantastics song selections, they would sound better mixed how they were on the original albums. thats just my opinion

barnylee starstarstarstarstar Mon 1/28/2008 04:40PM

barnylee

Page is the greatest! He even tells loyal fans not to buy Mothership, and they still are amongst the highest grossing band in terms of album sales and merch residuals year in and year out. He's the king of marketing too!

Zapzapa Mon 1/28/2008 05:48PM

Zapzapa

LED ZEP=Headliner at ACL??? keepin my fingers crossed

johnnygoff starstarstarstar Mon 1/28/2008 07:25PM

johnnygoff

does that leave the 'roo open to radiohead status? mmmmm...yes. However, months of superfly negotiation$ down the drain...with Coachella East (APW) stroking some love from Oxford's finest...aka r'head.

it's basically like the Red Sox, the Mets and the Yankees competing for Johan Santana. The yankees dropped out (vineland) and the Mets (Coachella East) and the REd Sox (the 'roo) are battling it out for the headliner supreme.

cheers.

phishr82 Mon 1/28/2008 07:47PM

phishr82

page says yes phish this summer?

birdsongjb Mon 1/28/2008 08:55PM

birdsongjb

All Page is Saying is "No TOur", Nothing Said about Bonnaroo!!!!!

I got Faith, Zep Will do THe ROo THis Year!

Check out Jason Byrd and Friends on the My Space

schofizzl Mon 1/28/2008 11:57PM

schofizzl

i predict phish will reunite and jimmy page will play with them and then they'll bring out umphrey's and the red hot chili peppers to evolve into a super big-ass mind blowing jam featuring stephen tyler and joe perry to close out Bonnaroo this year.

dream on people, just accept the fact that UM, moe., and the lips are already planning the best festival for '08. SummerCamp... just accept it.

still that super jam would be majorly fresh

Robusto Tue 1/29/2008 07:36AM

Robusto

I know this is retarded, but when I read "Page Says No Zep This Summer," I thought our beloved McConnell had turned down an offer to tour with Zeppelin. Ha!

theguykeator Tue 1/29/2008 07:37AM

theguykeator

the world tour wouldn't come until after september acording to what I read, so that rules out any summer festivals!

phishr82 Tue 1/29/2008 09:24AM

phishr82

i hear ya TS, that's what I thought too!

D-Line Tue 1/29/2008 10:16AM

"Anyway, Zep is great, but I wouldn't pay more than $20 to see them. There are thousands of other bands who currently put on a better show than I bet these guys are capable of."

WOW, DID SOMEONE REALLY SAY THAT?????? HEY DUDE DID YOU SEE THE REUNION SHOW? YEAH WELL I WAS THERE AND IVE BEEN TO THOUSNADS OF SHOWS IN MY TIME AND THE ENERGY IN THE BUILDING THAT NIGHT WAS SO INCREDIABLE ALL YOU HAD TO DO IS BREATH AND YOU WERE HIGH, NOT TO MENTION THEY PLAYED LIKE THEY WERE 25, SO PLEASE WITH THE IGNORANT COMMENTS, THERES NOONE ON THE PLANET THAT CAN DO WHAT ZEP DOES EVEN AT 60...HAVE FUN AT UMPHREYS

chidodger Tue 1/29/2008 11:30AM

chidodger

For their asking price, i don't think Zep will be doing any festivals at all. Should they announce a fall US tour, I'm guessing the cheapest seats in the house would run you over $150 a piece before ticketmaster fee's and taxes.

curtbraski starstarstarstarstar Tue 1/29/2008 12:05PM

curtbraski

good i hate zeppelin!

vollostcom Tue 1/29/2008 12:08PM

vollostcom

im just ready for the roo lineup period, whoever its gonna be theyve waited long enough...i know this will be drawn out till march but CMONNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN, and if radiohead is headling and everyband in the world i want to see is thee i will sit my ass at home, i cant beleive the year i was there how many people were camped around me just to see radiohead, they did nothing until sat nite when they played and went, i myslef sat around and did not partake, but sunday morning was so beautiful b/c all those asshole left right after the show sat...

ok i take all that back, let radiohead play thursday or friday nite and then we can have the festival all to ourself the whole weekend

vollostcom Tue 1/29/2008 12:10PM

vollostcom

sorry for the broken english but my computer suckssss

carphishhead Tue 1/29/2008 12:59PM

carphishhead

Haha bonna-BUNK rumors

acomma Tue 1/29/2008 04:04PM

acomma

Yes mimiluv, I really did say that. And I don't need to be high to enjoy a show. If they really did play "like they were 25," why aren't they going to do a full-scale tour? I'm not discrediting Zep at all; I listened to them a great deal at one point in my life. All I am saying is that for the price they will be setting, it is horribly not worth it. Plus I have never seen, nor do I enjoy, Umphrey's Mcgee.

bcountylax Tue 1/29/2008 04:54PM

you guys' are buying this? obviously it's a fakeout. zep is headlining bonnaroo i can assure you that, just wait, followed by a full on US tour, then world tour, then hittin the studio to release a new cd on christmas day. It's true i read it in 'Enquirer' magazine

Elemley Tue 1/29/2008 06:50PM

Sleewell, do you have the link for that yahoo article saying otherwise

Muffinman1 Tue 1/29/2008 07:42PM

Muffinman1

I glad ther are still people on this website that will think of McConnell when Page is mentioned. Let's see Page at Roo this year. McConnell that is.

shootermcgavin08 Wed 1/30/2008 05:33AM

shootermcgavin08

That's funny because I heard on the radio that they ARE doing a worldwide tour starting in September

tbourke Wed 1/30/2008 10:49AM

tbourke

Early days and latter days were terrible, b/c if you want a Zep perspective you need all of thier albums, they're ALL greatest hits.

Oh yeah, anybody who guesses lineups for bonnaroo and passes it on as true is an idiot. I've been hearing about how Led Zeppelin is going to play for over a month. Get your facts straight and you can start talkin when the real line-up comes out

funkypeace Wed 1/30/2008 04:52PM

funkypeace

it wouldn't be zeppelin anyway. only 3/4 of zep. the beauty in them was that every single member contributed equally to the brillance of sound and song. Bonzo, R.I.P.

guitardave starstarstarstarstar Fri 2/1/2008 08:39AM

guitardave

Jason is a part of of John, you can't ask for more. Zep at Bonnaroo is yet another rumor on a frazzled grapevine. If they played that gig, everyone on the bill would watch like a bunch of awestruck 17 year olds.

fortuenti Sun 3/23/2008 12:34PM

fortuenti

I bought MOTHERSHIP for the simple reason that --other than a couple boots I got online-- I had no L.Z. studio recordings in my collection. I grew up with their music all around me so I never had far to go to hear it so I never bought any of their albums. There is a definite brilliance in the new mix. Got boot of the O2 show and it ROCKS -- will buy official CD/DVD if released. Will go to their gig if they tour since I never did in the '70 when at the peak of their game.