Greyboy Allstars On The Road

CLASSIC FUNK ENSEMBLE
BEGINS FIRST TOUR OF 2008

Greyboys At Rest
The Greyboy Allstars returned to the stage this weekend, beginning what looks to be an exciting year for the soul-funk giants. This winter tour will give folks a chance to check out new Allstars drummer Aaron Redfield, who joined Greyboy in December. The tour continues tonight at the Magic Bag in Ferndale, MI. For a taste of what's in store check out live clips from the Allstars' New Year's run on their MySpace page.

Tour Dates
Jan. 29 Atlanta, GA - Smith's Olde Bar
Jan. 30 Asheville, NC - The Orange Peel
Jan. 31 Birmingham, AL - Workplay Theatre
Feb. 1 New Orleans, LA - Tipitina's
Feb. 2 Oxford, MS - Proud Larry's

[Published on: 1/20/08]

Comments

jambandfan Sun 1/20/2008 02:41PM

jambandfan

i don't wanna bitch, but i'm going to anyways... why would one schedule a 2 night run that lands on a Monday and Tuesday? i may have to suffer through 2 or 3 hours of sleep one night, cause its not very often that these guys tour, much less in the southeast. shitty

DJ Saturday Baxter Sun 1/20/2008 03:53PM

DJ Saturday Baxter

when is the TINY Universe comming back. I am bored with the GBA.

Emo starstarstarstarstar Sun 1/20/2008 03:57PM

12 shows in 13 days. Thats an interesting tour. If I was the promoter and and saw I could make money on doing a monday and tuesday night I would schedule a 2 night run. I would much rather have a sold out venue on monday and a decent Friday night crowd rather than a sold out Friday and an empty monday.

madrevs925 Sun 1/20/2008 06:56PM

madrevs925

Where are all their northeast shows?!?! I need to see these guys live!

cart starstarstarstarstar Sun 1/20/2008 10:29PM

cart

The band Nomo will be opening for them through January 22. If you get a chance, go see these two amazing bands share a stage. You won't be disappointed.

ScIFreak Mon 1/21/2008 03:46AM

ScIFreak

Yea some love for Michigan!!! Saw Karl Denson w/ the tiny Universe in 2004, and it was such a cool show. I even talked to him afterwards about some BBK sauce! Any way Karl Denson is the shit!

BTL starstarstarstar Mon 1/21/2008 05:18AM

BTL

WOW, I saw greyboy in pittsburgh on sat....it was awesome..it was my first time seening them live, the also the guitar player even threw his back out prior to show and still pulled off the funkiest riffs...Robert Walters of course abousultly killed the keys, and denson a master on the horns!!!!!!!And the new drummer was tight!!!!

piedpeter07 Mon 1/21/2008 06:45AM

I saw the minneapolis concert on the 17th, and I have to say, after waiting in sub-zero temps, that the band was rockin, with the great exception of Robert Walters. He looked so messed up. He barely played with both hands, you could barely hear him, and he was staring up at the ceiling for minutes on end. I have seen the 20th Congress numerous times, I've seen the Greyboys a bunch as well, but the whole night was filled with guitar solos. Walters was so benign that if he wasn't there, I wouldn't have noticed.

I'm in a band, and if one of my bandmates showed up like this I would fire him. I, and most of the crowd, was extremely disappointed in his lackluster performance. Maybe he was sick and had too much cogh syrup, but it was weak-weak-weak on his part. Karl D and the rest of the boys did their absolute best to cover for him, and it was an okay show, but the Walters thing left many of us shaking our heads as we headed for the exits.

bagofunk starstarstarstarstar Mon 1/21/2008 07:13AM

GBA @ Magic Bag was the dirtiness w/ a capital D. The type of low-down grimey super funk that'll make your body do unusual things. After hopping on the goof foot I think I dislocated my bad thing. Little Miss Lover cover was a treat. GO SEE THIS BAND. Im voting for Karl Denson for president in 2008.

billydog712 Mon 1/21/2008 10:07AM

Was at the Magic Bag last night, right at the front of stage. Decent one set show. Nothing to write home about. Looked more like they were going thru the motions. The crowd was great, but there really wasn't much energy. Their late nite set at All Good a couple years ago blew this away. I walked away basically dissapointed. I told my girlfriend I give it a 5.

ScIFreak Mon 1/21/2008 11:12AM

ScIFreak

Ok I JUST REALIZED I MISSED THE FUCKING MICHIGAN SHOW!!!!!!!!!! WHAT THE F.U.C.K?!! I only Check Jambase for shows, and How come the news only hit us yesterday?????? I meant common Jambase, what the hell? were these dates posted? Why not make this annoucment a few month ago? If this is what really happened, You suck!!! Go back to you're roots, and stop talking about genres of music I don't give a shit about!! I meant I hear when Bijork is fucking touring, yet I hear about a homestate date of a jamband the day of the show!! This is weak.

lovejahlive starstarstar Mon 1/21/2008 12:54PM

lovejahlive

ScIFreak-Put 'em on your "My Bands" thing and you'll always know. Probably half the shows I've heard about lately turned up there months before there was some kind of press release.

zgja2 Mon 1/21/2008 03:03PM

zgja2

Possibly the most enjoyable show EVER!