Kirk Joseph Needs Our Help

New Orleans sousaphone great Kirk Joseph (Kirk Joseph's Backyard Groove, Dirty Dozen Brass Band) has suffered a major heart attack. Like many musicians, Joseph does not have medical insurance. The music community is coming together to help his family deal with the astronomical costs.

Please send donations to:

PO Box 8852
New Orleans, LA 70182

What follows is a note from Venessa Joseph, Kirk's wife:

Hi,

Kirk Joseph
I can't begin to know how to say this to those of you who love Kirk (not more than me), but Kirk had a heart attack yesterday morning. It hurts me to sit here and send this because now I have actually said it. I still cannot believe this.

The cardiologist called me this afternoon to go into more detail about his condition. His heart is operating at 20%... when it should be at 60-80%. There is a blockage somewhere and they have not determined where it is. The doctor also stated he could possibly have another heart attack before they find where the blockage is.

He will remain in the hospital until next week. Hurricane Katrina did most of us in... But now I am tired. I am hurt and devastated by this and I can't break down because I have to stay strong for Kirk. He is in good spirits right now, but very afraid. He wanted me to let you all know that he is okay.

I would like for you all to join me in prayer and ask GOD to keep him here and to heal him, (body, soul, mind and spirit). I am not ready to lose him and I know you all feel the same way.

His hospital bill right now is in excess of $8000.00 because of all the tests and x-rays, blood work ups, EKG's, medicines and all of the specialist that have seen him. They are going to continue to run tests and do an angiogram ASAP. His lungs are still filled with fluid and he is coughing constantly because the air can't get through to his lungs properly and the blood is not getting to his heart the way it should. He is on an IV and the EKG machine is hooked up to monitor him.

If you would like to send him a card or a donation (toward the hospital bill) we would be greatly appreciative as he does not have medical insurance.

Kirk is in University Hospital-Room 603.

Thank you for your continued love and support, Venessa Joseph

P.O. Box 8852
New Orleans, LA 70182

[Published on: 1/16/08]

Comments

loudooben10 Wed 1/16/2008 07:23PM

loudooben10

bless up kirk.love is all around us .

jencat Wed 1/16/2008 09:26PM

when i wake up in the morning love, and the sunlight hurts my eyes.

then something without warning, love, bears heavy on my mind.

then i look at you, and i know its gonna be, gonna be

a lovely day...

we need you, kirk.

much love to you and vanessa

Brythwhl Thu 1/17/2008 01:02AM

Brythwhl

I hope that Kirk makes a 100% recovery, and that we can all see him play again. What an uplifting gift this man has, I will say a prayer for him, hope he gets well very soon!

dstempo Thu 1/17/2008 06:47AM

Vanessa Joseph, Kirk's wife, set this up at the recommendation of numerous people who wanted to help the family deal with the financial strain of medical care. Kirk like many New Orleans musicians does not have health insurance – every bit helps http://kirkjoseph.chipin.com/kirkjoseph

Margaretannthompson starstarstarstarstar Thu 1/17/2008 07:59AM

Margaretannthompson

Kirk & Vanessa, you and your whole family are in my prayers, and just know that everyone's rooting for a speedy recovery! Hang in there, and feel better! Much love!

jazzfester starstarstarstarstar Thu 1/17/2008 08:00AM

Vanessa,

You are in good company with all of us here who are just tired from the battle with the hurricane recovery. I can not imagine the strain you must be under right now. Please be strong for Kirk. Kirk is one of the reasons we all love this town.

To all out there,

The hurricane emptied our savings accounts. Please give to this worthy cause. If you have not seen Kirk Joseph play, you must come around when he gets better. When it is OK with the doctors, offer Kirk a Myers and coke.

TimCorcoran starstarstarstarstar Thu 1/17/2008 11:41AM

TimCorcoran

((((Healing Vibes))))

Sizlunt Thu 1/17/2008 12:26PM

Sizlunt

Wow, this sucks. Kirk is a very cool guy, and a hell of a sousaphone player as well. Good luck, I hope for a speedy recovery.

Bear Thu 1/17/2008 12:51PM

Bear

This just kills me - no health insurance. Having watched Micahel Moore's moving on the subject recently, it is pathetic how backwards America is compared to Canada, Europe, and many other countries where Kirk would be well taken care of in this situation. It is just a travesty that he needs to turn to JamBands fans (most of us hurting financially ourselves due to rising costs of gas, health insurance, food, etc) for help at a time like this.

What's the answer.

VOTE for change in November. Vote for nobody in America to ever have to be in Kirk's situation - a major health crisis with no health coverage.

Register now at headcount.org

BakerBudz Thu 1/17/2008 02:40PM

A couple of updates from Vanessa:

Tuesday

Kirk's procedure went well. His heart attack is attributed to

stress, hypertension, and high blood pressure. He has an enlarged

heart and it is very weak. They will probably...I'm not sure,

release him tomorrow. Kirk is on a low sodium diet, he needs

exercise, and the list goes on. He has been diagnosed with

Congestive Heart Failure. He will be on four different types of

medications for the rest of his life.

Thank you for your generosity, prayers and much needed support,

Kirk's procedure went well. His heart attack is attributed to

stress, hypertension, and high blood pressure. He has an enlarged

heart and it is very weak. They will probably...I'm not sure,

release him tomorrow. Kirk is on a low sodium diet, he needs

exercise, and the list goes on. He has been diagnosed with

Congestive Heart Failure. He will be on four different types of

medications for the rest of his life.

Thank you for your generosity, prayers and much needed support,

Venessa Williams-Joseph

Sunday

Thank you to our friends for visiting Kirk. This is really lifting his

spirits.

He had some visitors today...Renard Poche', Eddie Christmas, Derrick

Freeman, and others along with friends and family. He will be having

an angiogram early next week. Please keep him in your prayers. I will

keep you all posted about his condition. Thank you, Venessa Williams

504-616-8155 or 504-367-8879

Tomfoolery star Thu 1/17/2008 05:26PM
mamono starstarstar Thu 1/24/2008 08:57AM

Kirk is now at his home and learning how to take care of himself well, such as proper eating and exercise. It will take a while to be able to perform but his doctor encourages him to play sausaphone as rehabilitation.

BTW, I don't think it's appropriate to just copy&paste Venessa's mail here, espcaially they contain her personal information.