SXSW Initial Band List

My Morning Jacket
SXSW has announced the first round of bands confirmed to perform at the 2008 event set to take place in Austin, March 12-16. Some major names set to appear include: R.E.M., My Morning Jacket, Daniel Lanois, The Black Keys, The Kills, My Brightest Diamond, Kaki King, Pato Banton, Vampire Weekend and JamBase faves Rotary Downs.

This list below reflects bands that have claimed their own intentions of coming to Texas in March, as well as those with official confirmations (list courtesy of austinist.com). Stay tuned for further announcements.

AA Bondy
Vancougar
The Voom Blooms
White Shoes & the Couples Company
White Williams
Wussy

[Published on: 1/4/08]

Comments

kirkbrew Fri 1/4/2008 02:10PM

kirkbrew

REM? They probably feel that they need to show up to remind people who they are and that they still make music.

Keep an eye out for the music sampler. Always worth the price. 700’ish songs for exactly $0.

Also curious if the organizers try another round of green-washing this year. I am still amazed that they came up with an entire $5,000 donation to plant trees in Zilker Park last year. I think it was paid all at once too. WOW!

jesposito Fri 1/4/2008 02:41PM

jesposito

i really don't care about SXSW but i'm just really happy to see that MMJ will be playing festies this summer!! fingers crossed!

SchpecialDave starstarstarstarstar Fri 1/4/2008 04:08PM

SchpecialDave

Wonderful about My Morning Jacket, glad they're back. Not sure why they aren't on this list but also playing at SXSW are The Indelicates, from London UK and for fans of Art Brut, Dresden Dolls, Carter and everyone in between.

RothburyWithCheese starstarstar Fri 1/4/2008 10:07PM

RothburyWithCheese

Black Keys, Kaki King, and Times New Viking: sweet artists I cant wait to see. Lou Reed (keynote speaker): awesome too bad he wasnt performing. REM: theyre alright saw at ACL Fest and they were okay. Everyone else: who the fuck cares??? Come on SXSW let's get some real artists: Assembly of Dust, Damien Jurado, Grand Ole Party, Kate Nash......

rdawson124 Sat 1/5/2008 09:03AM

rdawson124

THIS IS A FESTIVAL FOR UP AND COMING ARTISTS MORE SO THAN HE BIG HEADLINERS.

catphish007 starstarstarstarstar Sat 1/5/2008 02:42PM

Yeah, Times New Viking, CBUS in the house

manlejo starstarstarstar Sun 1/6/2008 12:14AM

Ha! I was going to be positive anyway, because of Holy Fuck, but then I saw Screamin' Cyn Cyn. Hell yeah! Madison's greatest bizarre metal band. Can't live there without having seen those guys at least a few times...

carey3 starstarstarstarstar Sun 1/6/2008 03:26PM

OMG!!!! Ouija Radio is playing SXSW this year. I think I've died and gone to heaven!! That band rocks it like no other. I've only seen them one time but it was one of the best shows I've ever seen. Rock n Roll is back! I'll be down there for sure!!

GammaJamma Fri 3/14/2008 05:34PM

GammaJamma

Kaki King's guitarscapes melt air.