The Rockin Chair: My Ukulele and Me

By: Tom Speed

It was just a lark, but it had to come from somewhere. Didn't it?

Washburn Oscar Schmitt ukulele
I was fooling around with the "wish list" feature on one of the friendly mom and pop, giant corporate conglomerate Internet retail sites one day when I added an item without much thought. I had a birthday coming up, and among the paperbacks, CDs and DVDs I'd listed as suitable gifts for yours truly, I figured I might as well throw up some long shots: a new laptop, fancy camera, Xbox 360, elaborately packaged boxed sets, a few power tools and... a ukulele. I don't know why. Maybe because it was so effortless. There it was: a Washburn Oscar Schmitt ukulele and all I had to do was click "add to wish list." I didn't spend much time pondering why I'd done it.

Then my birthday came and with it a weirdly triangular-shaped UPS package courtesy of my sister who lives a few states away. I opened the cardboard box and released the instrument. It was beautiful. Its Hawaiian koa wood was seductively curved, radiating a deep, rich luxuriousness. The nylon strings glistened. They sang to me. Like Nigel Tufnel, I could hear their enchanting sustain without even touching them.

Then I touched it. If its aesthetic beauty was inspiring, the noise pulled from it by my fingers was an excruciating wail, a caterwauling shriek far from any definition of music, an unharmonious affront to the mathematical precision of agreeably spaced frequencies. The sound was bad enough. What made it worse was that I was introducing this un-music to a household that was also home to a weeks-old crying newborn human, two disoriented and yelping dogs, three screeching cats, a partridge in a pear tree and an ever less patient spouse.

In the interest of marital harmony and possibly my own physical well-being, I forthwith obtained a magical device called a chromatic tuner. Very soon I was coaxing something entirely different out of the ukulele. It was something that sounded very close to, yes, music! In fact, the music was downright pretty, enchanting even. The ukulele produced a sound that flourished in wide spaces, even in my hands. It was an exhilarating transformation.

I looked up some chords and worked up a few tunes. Bobby Darin's "Beyond The Sea" was the first one. I don't know why I picked that song. It just seemed like a carefree ukulele tune, something fun and a little bit goofy to sing. The next song was "Sky Blue Sky" by Wilco. I couldn't get that opening line out of my head at the time and something about it made me think of strumming a ukulele. I memorized the two songs, and soon I was strolling around the house and yard, strumming and singing "Beyond The Sea" and "Sky Blue Sky."

George Harrison and his uke
I was getting quite proud of myself, some people might have even said smug. I fancied myself a ukulele aficionado, even with just these two simple songs under my belt. I would tell anybody who would listen about how George Harrison was known to carry two ukuleles with him in case he ran across someone who would play with him. I haughtily informed people at parties that the uke (by this point, I was just calling it a "uke," given that I was an expert and everything) was similar but not the same as a tenor guitar, and no it was not the same as the banjo, although there was something called a banjo uke. It was easy being a ukologist. Not many people know much about it. I was falling in love with the ukulele. I had no shame. It was embarrassing.

I'd played guitar for 15 years or so, learning dozens of other people's songs and writing a few stinkers of my own, and I'd hit enough plateaus to finally find one I liked. I'd occasionally pick up my guitar and fool around with it, play a few riffs or songs, or amble along long enough to lose interest and put it back in the corner for another three months. Long gone were the days when I would sit down to commit songs to memory or collect them in a three ring binder. But the ukulele, that was something new and exciting! It was fresh and fun. Love sprung eternal. I was getting dangerously close to putting my ukulele songs in a three ring binder as I tackled The Beatles' "Honey Pie" and thought about other songs that would translate to the uke. At night I would dream of being called onto the stage to perform with one of my favorite bands as special ukulele guest. Visions of setlist asterisks danced in my head.

Then things changed. I was watching TV one day and I noticed a commercial that I'd probably seen dozens of times but had filed away in the deep recesses of the mind without a second thought. The soundtrack to the ad was the very same song that I'd been playing on the ukulele, "Beyond the Sea," my quirky little tune that made me all giddy and happy and smug. Is that where I got the idea? Had that song seeped into my consciousness as part of a sales pitch to seniors? Indeed, "Beyond The Sea" was the tune for Carnival Cruise lines' commercials. Sure, it's a well-known song. I could have pulled it from any number of sources, but this was a current commercial that was played all the time. It had to be it.

Jake Shimabukuro
Dread encompassed me. I remembered that Wilco had somewhat infamously licensed a handful of tunes from their new album to the folks at Volkswagen. So my other tune, "Sky Blue Sky," was also used in a commercial. Could it be that my supposedly whimsical ukulele repertoire, so quirky and unique, was influenced by something as pedestrian as television commercials? "I watch far too much TV," I thought to myself, kicking the imaginary dirt at my feet and hanging my head in shame.

I started wondering why I clicked that "wish list" button to begin with. Was it because I saw Jake Shimabukuro playing "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" on YouTube? Did it have something to do with catching Joe Versus The Volcano on late night cable? Did my parents subject me to Tiny Tim listening parties in the '70s? Was my supposedly spur of the moment decision and subsequent fascination and flirtation with the ukulele the result of the not so gentle shoving of various media influences into my cranium by nefarious corporate entities? I wondered what other shameful nooks or crannies of my grey matter had been similarly influenced. I worried that less than healthy ingredients populated the soup of my brain.

The thought made me sick. It made me want to check out, blow up the TV, unplug the laptop and turn it all off, just stop the barrage of images and sounds and messages and somehow purify my mind. In time, I settled. I realized that our actions and interests are the sum total of a variety of inputs, swirled together in our noggins at night and snuck past the ego guards in the form of intuition and gut feelings. Regardless of their origins, the things we do on a lark are often the most rewarding. You can toy with the inputs if you want, you can keep things at bay if you try, but it's the output that's most important. It's how you cook the ingredients. It's what you do with the things that go in. So, if you listen for it, you'll hear that the lark's song comes from the sweetest recipe. And it sounds kinda like a ukulele.

JamBase | Oxford
Go See Live Music!

[Published on: 2/6/08]

Comments

Nibble starstarstarstarstar Wed 2/6/2008 04:17PM

Great article. I have played the ukulele for a few years and it began with me seeing Jake online at my brothers house. I had toyed with the idea of getting one for a while then my girlfriend at the time bought me my first one. That was when I decided to make her my wife. I now have 4 ukulele's and it has become a very important part in our lives. I think regardless of where inspiration comes from it is what makes us individuals. As you stated we are all the sum of a variety of inputs. Hopefully, more variety than anything. Thanks for the article and thanks to JamBase for years of various musical insirations.

toestothenose Thu 2/7/2008 07:49AM

toestothenose

Tom - Great tale! Now I kinda want a ukulele after ready that article.

matlock starstarstarstar Thu 2/7/2008 11:10AM

matlock

"Could it be that my supposedly whimsical ukulele repertoire, so quirky and unique, was influenced?"

Yes, Tom. Your mind is totally controlled. It has been stuffed into my mold.

And you will do as you are told. Until the rights to you are sold.

musikmike420 starstarstarstarstar Fri 2/8/2008 08:51AM

Great Article!! I recently revieved a Martin S-O Ukulele for Chistmas this past year and love converting my guitar skills to the UkE Lots of fun. Ive been very inspired by hearing that my Grate-Grandfather Frank Ferreria was one of the first poineers to bring the ukulele to the mainland. Keep picking friend!!

potman1 starstarstarstar Fri 2/8/2008 12:59PM

If you want to her some great uke work check out Melvern Taylor and His Fabulous Meltones. Some of the best songwriting ever in my mind.

theguykeator Fri 2/8/2008 01:56PM

theguykeator

Jake Shimabukuro played on an Etown recording with String Cheese Incident in Boulder back in the day and I was very impressed. Im a fan of his ukeing ability, but he's never made it around the midwest so it's hard to show support.

black_mtn_mama starstarstarstarstar Fri 2/8/2008 03:31PM

black_mtn_mama

The rockin' chair is always my favorite place to sit. Well thought, well conveyed. thank you for a good read!

snappy Sun 2/10/2008 11:47AM

snappy

My fave installment of the Rockin' Chair yet. Conveying the ways thoughts and motivations move through a human brain is no easy thing. Tom nailed it.

onearmguitarist starstarstarstarstar Mon 2/11/2008 03:01PM

onearmguitarist

this sounds a little goofy but on the new "Song of America" compilation there is a incredible version of Jake doing "Stars and Stripes Forever" I listened to that and realized I would never quite master the uke.....then I saw him in concert and that cemented my position on that issue....any way check out that song fellow ukers!

p.s. My neighbor passed away a few mponths ago and his kids were going through his stuff and found 2 roy schmeck ukes and sold them to me fo $2 a peice....amazingly they sound quite nice :)

ezrockn starstarstarstarstar Fri 2/22/2008 08:26PM

HERE IS HOW YOU CAN MAKE THOUSANDS BY DOING VIRTUALLY NOTHING AT ALL...

Keep in mind that everything stated below is 100% legal

A little while back, I was browsing through newsgroups, just like you are now, and came across an article similar to this that said you could make thousands of dollars within weeks with only an initial investment of $10.00! : So I thought,' Yeah, right, this must be a scam', but like most of us, I was curious, so I kept reading. Wow! Look at the testimonials… and I read more in the newsgroups. It REALLY WORKS! So, I thought for only $10 … I’d give it a try.

AS SEEN ON OPRAH AND 20/20! MAKE $50,000 IN 2 WEEKS!

OPRAH PROVED IT WORKS! NO JOKING!

Make $50,000 In 2 Weeks!

It Works Quickly and Legally

Do you Need Extra Income?

WOULD YOU LIKE TO MAKE THOUSANDS?

For the Price of 2 Happy Meals You can Help Someone and Change Your Life.

Basically this is all about People Helping People.

You could make up to $50,000 in one month with more money coming in every month thereafter!

That’s Right! $50,000 Dollars in your PayPal Account. IT WAS PROVEN ON OPRAH and this system is COMPLETELY LEGAL!!!

You may have heard of this program on 20/20 or even in the Wall Street Journal.

$10 that is all it takes. I will try to keep this short and sweet....

TESTIMONIALS:

Mary Gathers, Columbus, SC:

I only have one thing to say to you: OH MY GOD! I sent out 142 copies total before 20 replied, like the instructions said. Then I went on a short vacation. When I got back, my account had over $32,000 dollars in it already and the money was still coming! I m still floating on air (especially with my new car). I thought the Guardian system sounded cheesy, but now I realize it is the formula that makes this letter really work! THANKS!

Richard Barrie, Boulder, CO:

I was shocked when I saw how much money came flooding into my PayPal account. Within 3 weeks my account balance has ballooned to $22,449. At first I thought there had been some sort of error with my account!

To get started, just copy this whole page and paste it to your documents to edit it.

Simply follow the instructions below and in 2 to 4 weeks, you could have as much as $50,000 in your PayPal Account or even more.. Do you have a PayPal Account? IF not, then set up one right away, it takes less than 5 minutes AND IT IS TOTALLY FREE!

Sign up for paypal at www.paypal.com

People respond to this program because of the low investment ($10 Dollars) and the very high profit potential.

There is NO limit to the income you can generate from this (you can do it over and over again). If you follow the instructions, you will reach thousands of people!

HONESTY, FAITH and INTEGRITY makes this system work.

HERE ARE THE STEP-BY-STEP INSTRUCTIONS:

Step 1. Set up your PayPal account, if you do not already have one.

First, send $5 to the first person (listed at No. 1) on the list, by using the PayPal

Send Money feature

Login to PayPal and click the Send Money tab near top of screen

In the Recipient Email field type: the email address

In the Amount field type: 5.00

In the Category field select: Service

In the subject field type: PAYMENT FOR INTERNET MARKETING

In the message field type: PAYMENT FOR INTERNET MARKETING .

Finally, click on the Continue button to complete the payment.

DON T FORGET to include PAYMENT FOR INTERNET MARKETING in the Paypal email. This is IMPORTANT as it keeps the program legal.

Step 2. Send the other $5.00 Dollars and a Paypal email message PAYMENT FOR INTERNET MARKETING 5TH to the 5th name on the list.

Step 3. Once you have done this, REMOVE the 1st email address listed at the top (position No. 1) and place YOUR email address at the bottom (position No. 5).

This then moves the 2nd email address to 1st, 3rd to 2nd, 4th to 3rd and the 5th to 4th. You now become the 5th email address.

Step 4. Keep sending and posting the letter until you receive 20 PAYMENT FOR INTERNET MARKETING 5TH replies in your mailbox.

That is it. It is that simple!

DO NOT TRY TO PLACE YOURSELF IN THE FIRST PLACE. IT WILL ONLY REACH THE PEOPLE YOU SEND IT TO AND THEN YOUR NAME WILL BE REMOVED FROM THE LIST!!!

If you do this the way it has been designed, it will reach thousands by the time your name gets to the top.

Here Is The List:

1. aleinworkshop5000@yahoo.net

2. charlotteg2@verizon.net

3. mytreasurebox@verizon.net

4. buzzette79@yahoo.com

5. AG_47@msn.com

(Make sure it is the same email address that you used to open your PayPal Account as this is the way you will receive your payment).

Now that you have paid the 1st and 5th person and sent them both an email (via the PayPal Account) and placed your email address in the 5th place, then all you need to do is post your letter. Now, copy and paste your amended article to at least 200 newsgroups, message boards, etc. (I think there are close to 32,000 groups)

All you need is 200, but remember, the more you post, the more money you make - as well as everyone else on the list! Keep a copy of this letter so you can send it over and over.

To find 200 newsgroups you search with subject like millionaire message board, money making message board, employment message board, money making discussions, money making forum, business message board, etc. You will find thousands & thousands of message boards.

IT IS YOUR JOB AS THE 5TH PERSON ON THE LIST TO ENSURE THERE ARE AT LEAST 20 PAYMENT FOR INTERNET MARKETING replies.

The fifth person is the Guardian of the System - YOU !!

If there are not at least 20 replies then the 5th person will keep sending and posting the letter until there is.

Now the fun happens. We reap what we sow. Other people will see your posting and do the exact same thing. As you wait through the 4th, 3rd, and 2nd slots for your work as guardian to pay off, hundreds even thousands of others will be assuming the role of guardian and keep the program moving.

Once you have arrived at the 1st position it means hundreds and maybe even thousands have been working the program since you started. All of those people will then pay you as the 1st and you won’t believe the kind of money that has been generated.

Seriously, it is common sense - you do it and 25 or more people see and do the exact same thing and everyone wins!!!

You will receive thanks AND THE SAME BLESSING. When your name reaches the 1st slot, 900 to 15,000 people will send you $5 DOLLARS!

YOU COULD EASILY MAKE $50,000

Keep in mind that the most you spend is $10 DOLLARS!

WHAT GOES AROUND, COMES AROUND!

Please give it an honest effort, you will not be disappointed and will be very glad that you did when it starts to work. Remember, all you are going to be out of pocket is about the cost of a couple of coffees and will have the opportunity of banking thousands of dollars into your PayPal account! Take the smallest risk of your Life!!!

This is perfectly legal! If you have any doubts, refer to 18 Sec. 1302 & 1241 of the Postal Lottery laws. You can try this or buy another lottery ticket and see which pays

first. It is up to you! The Guardian system is based on HONEST people helping each other out.

Wishing you the very best of luck and may you prosper in fortune.

Make BIG money in an HONEST way!

To Success!