Bruce Springsteen 08 Dates

BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN AND THE E STREET BAND SET 2008 US TOUR DATES

Bruce Springsteen
Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band has announced their first series of tour dates for 2008. The extremely successful first leg of Springsteen's 2007-08 tour has drawn ecstatic reviews ranging from Rolling Stone ("Springsteen's New York triumph") to LAT ("invigorating [and] daring") and Washington Post ("simply great").

Bruce Springsteen's twenty-third album Magic was released October 2 on Columbia Records and debuted at number one on Billboard's Top 200 Albums chart. Magic has been certified double Platinum in Norway; Platinum in Canada, Ireland, Italy, Holland and Sweden; and Gold in Australia, Austria, Belgium, the Czech Republic, Germany, New Zealand, Spain, Switzerland and the U.K. It was number one on the charts in Austria, Canada, Denmark, Ireland, Italy, Norway, Spain, Sweden, the U.S. and the pan-European chart.

Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band 2008 tour dates
02.28 Hartford, CT HCC Arena (On sale now)
03.02 Montreal, QC Bell Centre (Nov. 24)
03.03 Hamilton, ONT Copps Coliseum (Nov. 23)
03.06 Rochester, NY Blue Cross Arena (Sold out)
03.07 Buffalo, NY HSBC Arena (On sale now)
03.10 Hempstead, NY Nassau Coliseum (Jan. 19)
03.14 Omaha, NE Quest Center (Dec. 8)
03.16 St. Paul, MN Xcel Center (On sale now)
03.17 Milwaukee, WI Bradley Center (Nov. 26)
03.20 Indianapolis, IN Canseco Center (Dec. 8)
03.22 Cincinnati, OH U.S. Bank Arena (Dec. 1)
03.24 Columbus, OH Schottenstein Center (Dec. 1)
03.28 Portland, OR The Rose Garden (Dec. 8)
03.29 Seattle, WA Key Arena (Dec. 8)
03.31 Vancouver, BC GM Place (Nov. 30)
04.04 Sacramento, CA Arco Arena (Jan. 19)
04.05 San Jose, CA HPPavillion at San Jose (Jan. 21)
04.07 Anaheim, CA Honda Center (On sale now)
04.08 Anaheim, CA Honda Center (On sale now)
04.13 Dallas, TX TBA (TBA)
04.14 Houston, TX TBA (TBA)
04.18 Ft Lauderdale, FL Bank Atlantic Center (Dec. 1)
04.19 Orlando, FL Amway Arena (Dec. 1)
04.21 Tampa, FL St. Pete Times Forum (Dec. 1)
04.25 Atlanta, GA Philips Arena (On sale now)
04.27 Charlotte, NC Charlotte Bobcat Arena (Dec. 7)
04.28 Greensboro, NC Greensboro Coliseum (Dec. 7)
04.30 Charlottesville, VA John Paul Jones Arena (TBA)

Tickets available here.

[Published on: 11/20/07]

Comments

jabbajabba122 Tue 11/20/2007 09:46AM

shame he's not coming this way... or is it?

bigfro Tue 11/20/2007 10:21AM
windorascrub Tue 11/20/2007 10:25AM

windorascrub

two updates about bruce springsteen on jambase. come on. you guys really are getting about as commercial as it can get. the amount of coverage of anything actually jam related on this site is so minimal these days. it is obvious that most of jambase's writers now prefer pretty much anything indie. whenever a festival is reviewed the "jam bands" get a small blurb about how the person only caught the last 15 minutes of the show or missed it because they were busy seeing (type indie band name here). i can understand if jambase is taking a new direction but maybe the name of the site is a little misleading and for people like me, doesn't really represent what i want to read about. a bruce springsteen article can be read on any major corporate site in the world. if i wanted this i would go to rollingstone.com.

tourfan Tue 11/20/2007 10:26AM

2nd tour in a row he's started in Hartford. Yea for us !!!

windorascrub Tue 11/20/2007 10:28AM

windorascrub

D.B.Higdon starstarstarstarstar Tue 11/20/2007 11:03AM

D.B.Higdon

I don't get some people, but I would hardly say that Springsteen is commercial. I guess that you are basing this statement on ticket sales, size of venues, duration of career, and album sales? I'm just guessing since you didn't clarify, you just made a statement without backing it up. In that way of categorizing something, I guess then that the Grateful Dead are commercial; I mean, after all they have their own brand of golf clubs and skis out there. Dylan would also now be commercial as there is a big Hollywood movie coming out about him. Now, I will give you the Rolling Stones; the way they market themselves at this point is no less than how Coke would market a product.

But how could Springsteen be commercial when he has total control over his music, and how he wants to release it, tour behind it, or market it? Just because someone has a fanatic fanbase does not make them commercial. Just because people play large venues or sell out twelve nights at MSG doesn't make them commercial; it makes them a great live touring band.

Why would jambase have an article on Springsteen? Because he is one of the greatest songwriters ever and a driving musical force for over 30 years. He has a band that is amazing. Nils Lofgren used to play with Neil Young. You aren't on here bashing an article on Neil or Willie Nelson, and Willie Nelson was in the Dukes of Hazzard movie-talk about commercial.

I don't think that any major labels at this point would allow a musician to release an acoustic album, a folk album, a rock album, and tour behind all of them if they were trying to find a "commercial release." Springsteen has a fanbase, and his music reaches worldwide just how he chooses to make it. Commercial means that the forces in the industry find a certain niche, and they try to exploit it by molding a band to fit that category. Springsteen is his own fucking category.

jabbajabba122 Tue 11/20/2007 11:50AM

i could care less how commercial springsteen is; his music sucks, which is all i care about. i think the only song i like is atlantic city, and not even when he sings it, i prefer 'the bands' version.

roberto767 starstarstarstarstar Tue 11/20/2007 12:40PM

roberto767

I agree..Why is everyone all up on Springstein's nuts? I think people just assume that its really awesome to be a Springstein fan so they jump on the bandwagon. I've never gave much of a shit about the guy myself. Maybe I'm missing something. He always just seemed way overhyped (kind like Umphreys) to me.

FatChance Tue 11/20/2007 01:29PM

You know when you're too old to be reading Jambase when:

(sounds like a Top 10 list)

you read ignorant comments that compare Springsteen to Umphrey's McGee!

whether or not you like Bruce, you have to show some respect to someone who has made a huge contribution to shaping American Folk and Rock music.

In this case, Roberto767 is missing one important component--->having a knowledge base of music that goes beyond the jamband scene.

I'm looking forward to reading the next 'my band is better than your band' thread!

Becuase of all the ignorance, Jambase is loosing some major street credibility with music fans. It seems that there are many on here who could use the knowledge of the 'helping friendly book', and that's just for starters. ReadIcculous!

jerry07 Tue 11/20/2007 01:40PM
DaveT star Tue 11/20/2007 01:58PM
klowe17 Tue 11/20/2007 02:00PM
akeay starstarstarstarstar Tue 11/20/2007 02:39PM

akeay

How old is the average poster on this site? 17? Are you kidding me with these pitiful comments? Why would you even post something if you don't have anything insightful or meaningful to say. Why would you post "who cares" and leave it at that? What is the point? klowe17 - I don't give a damn what you're a fan of. When was the last top 40 hit Springsteen had? 1988? Do you really think he creates lame pop music? How is anyone who reads this better served by your incredibly naivete? jerry07 - "Bruce is lame" Are you kidding me? Seriously, take your uneducated, unintellectual, immature, inexperienced lame comments to Phantasy Tour. And Jambase - start deleting lame posts and accepting complaint letters in a different format/forum. This has gotten out of control.

And thank you for posting Bruce's upcoming dates. This is the site I come to for music and I trust you to post relevant information like you always do.

klowe17 Tue 11/20/2007 02:57PM
akeay Tue 11/20/2007 03:10PM

akeay

klowe17 - I think you need to be a little more discerning my friend. When you say that Springsteen is devoid of meaning and purpose, please back that up. I can't think of another musician out there that has more meaning or purpose than the Boss. I would hardly describe his writing or music as "cookie cutter." He's an American original. Why don't you save that criticism for the bands that deserve it, not Springsteen. Really. Your comments show a complete lack of sophistication and class. Or are you too lazy to type in a coherent argument? If so, then don't post here.

moejoerisin starstarstarstarstar Tue 11/20/2007 03:38PM

moejoerisin

the boss is a workhorse. he may not be your favorite singer/songwriter, but he certainly has soul and substance. has anyone heard the Seeger Sessions? great album. this man definitely deserves to be on jambase.

jimmiwhispers starstarstar Tue 11/20/2007 05:07PM

jimmiwhispers

According to Trey Anastasio,

"There are a lot of people who inspire me. It depends on the day. I listen to so much music. This week, I am listening to The Clash and early Bruce Springsteen. I’m having an early Bruce Springsteen renaissance. Last night I was listening to some of his early stuff and comparing it to where he is now. “Jungleland” is amazing, the operatic quality to the whole thing, with all of the sections. I grew up in New Jersey and I saw Bruce the first time when I was 12 or 13, 1977 or 1978 at The Spectrum in Philadelphia. And I remember being just floored by the whole thing. Obviously anyone growing up in New Jersey in 1976, Born to Run was what you listened to. It was recently that I went back and listened to it and realized that it was verging on progressive rock. [laughs] Some of these section-y kind of ways of writing were in that music. It was cinematic. And this happened in the last two days, so if you asked me a different day I’d have said something else. I started realizing how much I was influenced by that music without really attributing it to him. The other thing I notice when I listen to Bruce Springsteen is how much of Tom Waits I can hear in him. I’d say that Waits is the best songwriter alive right now as far as I’m concerned. Top of the heap."

bobertjohnson Tue 11/20/2007 06:14PM
Lava Tue 11/20/2007 06:26PM

To all of you Boss haters - Sprinsteen, hands down, is one of the best songwriters/performers of all time. And for you jam band "purists" (read crybabies) the Boss's live shows in the 70's would consistently push the 4 hour mark, each night unique. Any serious music fan should no better than to disrespect the Boss.

bukowski222 Tue 11/20/2007 06:34PM

I can see how some people might berate Springsteen for his commercial success. I too was one of those people and had discounted him for a great deal of my life. However, a few years ago a friend had an extra ticket to see Bruce and the E-Street band and like any true music lover I decided to check the show out. Keep in mind that I only knew his most commerical music, just by passively listening over the years. With little expectation I went to the show and was completely blown away. I have been to many live shows and I will have to admit that the first Bruce Springsteen concert was at the top of my list of greatest shows ever seen. At the time I was just blown away by his dynamic showmanship, for those of you who have not experienced one, you should not down play him. It was almost a religious experience. It also hit me at a point in my life when I needed such an experience. I have read many articles on this site that focus on live shows, well Bruce Springsteen should not be discounted because of commercial success. He is one of the greatest live performers you will ever see. Just because he does not play lengthy jams like the Dead or Allman brothers does not mean that he does not jam, because he does. Therefore, Jambase does have a right to discuss such a man. Also, as many have stated previously he is also one of the American songwriters, up there with Dylan and Tom Waits. So, to all of you who discount him because he is successful, I suggest that you check out a live Springsteen show. Maybe this will change your mind about the Boss!

jerryil Tue 11/20/2007 07:57PM

jerryil

Do yourself a favor. Listen to the album Born to Run (1975). I can't defend everything he's done, but this album alone earned him the title "The Boss"

overall Wed 11/21/2007 12:03AM

overall

Disregarding his Born in the USA album, 23 years ago, Springsteen has had no more commercial success than the Dead. His longevity can be chalked up to his unbelievable songwriting and his unflagging honesty. Dating back to the original MUSE shows of the late 70's, he's been a huge backer of meaningful causes (anti-nukes, anti-apartheid, anti-war, pro-Amnesty International, etc.). And he's repeatedly refused to capitalize on low-hanging-fruit opportunities for toss-off album success by taking 180 degree turns into near obscurity (i.e. Nebraska, The Ghost of Tom Joad, The Seeger Sessions, etc.) in order to produce and distribute highly personal releases that focus on artistic and social issues near to his heart.

As far as commercialism goes, while I wouldn't expect the majority of neophites on this site to know, he turned down MILLIONS of bucks in the mid-80's when the folks at Chrysler tried to buy Born in the USA for TV ads. He also made headlines (go ahead and Google it) when he publicly demanded that Ronald Reagan stop using the song in his 1984 re-election campaign, as he loudly proclaimed that Reagan's "trickle down" policies horribly harmed the average American.

He needs no light shows, no synthesizers, no "trippy" gimmicks and no intermissions. And frankly, for me, he's the only artist (The Dead, Allmans, Stones, Waits, Van Morrison, Plant & Page, and scores of others included over a 30-year concert-going history) I can think of who actually played longer at a show than I felt I could keep up with.

I actually went to a Seattle show where he played for over 4 hours, allowed the roadies to come out and play instruments after the encore, and then came back to toss out pizza to the crowd that was still in the hall. And that was AFTER he'd already released Born to Run and Darkness on the Edge of Town.

Years ago, I read where he said that he doesn't feel that he's done his job until he's touched every audience member and brought them to the point of exhaustion. And in the 12 times I've seen him, whether solo or with the band, he's done exactly that with me.

I'm not going to get into a pissing match with kids who've been exposed to nothing better than mediocre noodling to form their live music opinions. I'll just say that as a fan of every major jam band of the past 30 years, and as a fan of many mid-tier groups as well (UM, Disco Biscuits, P-Groove, etc.), I've never been laid out as completely breathless by an act as I have been by Springsteen.

‹^› ‹(•¿•)› ‹^› {¬¿¬} starstarstarstarstar Wed 11/21/2007 05:37AM

everyone here has a valid opinion, whether you are age 17 or 37 (me), if you do not like him you do not like him. I would never compare him to anyone else, he is his own dude. He has shaped american folk music as much as anyone. Now, I personally do not like him. I find his music boring for me.

Now, I am not saying it sucks, or its lame, or he is commercial, or he is compared to this or that band, but for me, I think he is boring as hell.

gimme some dylan, neil, jose gonzales, jackie green or grayson capps. I much prefer these artists to anything Bruce does.

Now I have made a very great effort here to speak my mind quietly and clearly, this is merely opinion, and it will not agree with everyone, but the TACT we use when expressing our opinions greatly influences how people accept or deny our opinions.

redplate Wed 11/21/2007 06:02AM

redplate

Bruce has done nothing for folk. Do you really think the inspiring coffee shop folk we have today comes from a huge pop act. His music is generic and sounds like every other song. Seriously my biggest musical nightmare is being locked in a room with 2 boom boxes in seperate corners. One boom box has john melencamps "this is my country playing" and the other is playing "dancing in the dark" by Bruce. His older stuff maybe great but his new shit is so bad it scares me from going back to check out the old stuff. Besides maybe ill just eventually start liking his new stuff and become some bland pop folk robot.

PhilnWeird starstarstarstarstar Wed 11/21/2007 06:15AM
j-bizzle starstarstarstarstar Wed 11/21/2007 07:08AM

j-bizzle

i seriously can't believe all the Bruce bashing. whether or not you like his music, you have to respect him as a songwriter. his lyrics are some of the most compelling ever written. IMO - born to run and nebraska are 2 of the best albums of the last 35 years.

cocheese Wed 11/21/2007 07:09AM

cocheese

The Boss, eh, he's had some good stuff. most of his music is boring to me too, but he was the man back in the 80's. he's a bit cheezy, but I'd love to see him play, but not for the price of a tic. no way.

jabbajabba122 Wed 11/21/2007 08:01AM

redplate > i find it funny you mentioned john cougar... whenever i think of bruce springsteen, i always think of melencamp.

HOPEFULPHAN star Wed 11/21/2007 09:15AM

i love these posts! its so funny to me that people get upset when others dont like a band or musician that they do. i wonder if these are the same people who get offended at every other little thing in life, like merry christmas for example. differnt tastes in music is what makes talking about music fun. if everyone liked the same music for the same reasons there would be nothing to talk about, and that would suck. not everyone that has a differnt opinion is less knowledgable about music just because the choose to disagree. oh yeah and bruce is lame.

okalrightic Wed 11/21/2007 11:10AM
sunnbear Wed 11/21/2007 11:13AM

sunnbear

Great lyrics. Great band. Terrible singing voice.

Elemley starstarstarstarstar Wed 11/21/2007 01:11PM

i really like some of bruce's stuff and his voice is a big part of the sound. Seeger sessions, E street shuffle shit, the rising, and devils and dust are sweetness. some of the hits are weak, but who cares; hes made a bunch of damn good music.

DBang starstarstarstarstar Wed 11/21/2007 03:51PM

what strikes me as funny is that half of these posts which diss the boss are backed up by little or no first hand knowledge of the man or his music, and it seems like what these people want is LESS news about music. Does it really sully this site so much to have news about music that doesn't fall into the ubiquitous 'jam' category? Would you people be happy if you logged onto jam base and there was only one new article per day, and it was about STS9's next three night stand or Particle's guitar of the day? Relax, there are people here who want to read this news, and I don't think it's going to kill if you have to skip over an article on this site.

DBang starstarstarstarstar Wed 11/21/2007 03:52PM

PS My first concert was Bruce's Born in the USA tour...it was awesome. I credit that experience with creating my love for live music.

theragman starstarstarstarstar Wed 11/21/2007 05:01PM

lyin' out there like a killer in the sun, i know its late but we can make it if we run ooooohh thunder road sit tight....take hold....thunder rooooooooooaaaaaaad

whatever, Bruce rules.

wish i could afford to see him.

D.B.Higdon starstarstarstarstar Wed 11/21/2007 06:09PM

D.B.Higdon

Sending out thoughts and prayers to Danny Federici and family as the second night in Boston was his last stop on this tour. Springsteen's site released this statement:

Danny Federici, an original member of the E Street Band, is taking a leave of absence from the current Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band tour to pursue treatment for melanoma. Charles Giordano, who played with Bruce as a member of the Sessions Band, will temporarily fill in for Danny until he is able to return. Federici has been playing keyboards with Springsteen since the late Sixties. Said Springsteen, "Danny is one of the pillars of our sound and has played beside me as a great friend for more than 40 years. We all eagerly await his healthy and speedy return."

It's a killer setlist with two tour premiers, 'This Hard Land' and 'Tenth Avenue Freeze-out,' that really allows Danny to shine.

Setlist:

Radio Nowhere

Night

Lonesome Day

Gypsy Biker

Magic

Reason to Believe

Darkness on the Edge of Town

Candy's Room

She's the One

Livin' in the Future

This Hard Land

4th of July, Asbury Park (Sandy)

The E Street Shuffle

Born to Run

American Land

bobertjohnson Thu 11/22/2007 11:51AM

har har

gmoo Thu 11/22/2007 01:35PM

gmoo

Stop bashing adam sandler. He's just dancing in the dark.

gmoo Thu 11/22/2007 01:36PM

gmoo

...you can't start a fire without a spark. NO SHIT!?!?

‹^› ‹(•¿•)› ‹^› {¬¿¬} starstarstarstarstar Fri 11/23/2007 05:35AM

it can't be a dog with out a bark.

to live in the end is to begin to start?

go to the park and find a lark?

only to be dancing in the dark park looking for a lark?

robbot Fri 11/23/2007 12:24PM

So whats the big deal with calling umphreys a mediocre band? if any of you think that you obviously dont have any musical ability or have tried to excel at an instrument. i could care less about bu fu springsteen.

kirkbrew Sat 11/24/2007 11:07AM

kirkbrew

WTF??? You people know what the article is about but you read it and them bitch, bitch, bitch.

As for "commercial success", some of you people are idiots. The Grateful Dead and Phish were some of the most profitable bands in music history. Big companies, touring juggernaut, selling out huge stadiums... But you kneel down at their alter while blowing Springsteen shit? Not like I’m a Springsteen fan, but come on.

EVILFUNK Sat 11/24/2007 08:43PM

EVILFUNK

I heard some old recordings that were just acoustic guit and bruce singing...awesome music but it aint the music that made him millions...nope, never. no disrespect to the older stuff bruce did but even his most popular advocates on the jam scene (Trey and Page) are most specific when they give him props ~ its the older stuff they reference (most specifiaclly). im not a child of the 70s ~ the days when bruce was playing his ass off in clubs ~ the Boss i grew up in the 80s hearing was stuff like Born in the USA...awfully produced radio poopoo that still makes me cringe when i think of it. in short...bruces night club act from the 70s may have cut it on our scene but if we are gonna make Blues Travelers and the Spindoctors pay the price of vanella ice-isum for having a few radio hits ~ i say let the boss fry on jambase! Boneroo prediction this year>>> THE BOSS HEADLINES!!!!

AUSTINITSUA Sun 11/25/2007 08:38PM

Some of these same idiots were blasting Neil Young a few weeks back.

Let them bash Bruce Springsteen.

It's hard enough to get a ticket as it is.

I don't need to compete with the tie-dyes and the dreadlocks for a ticket to see Bruce.

They charge $80 dollars a ticket to keep kids like that out anyways.

It's worth the extra dollars for that alone, in my opinion.

nuke_ticketbastard starstarstarstar Mon 11/26/2007 07:56AM

can ya feeeeel the love!

once again the same old dried up argument has ensued over what fan "a" likes and what fan "b" doesn't like - THAT is way more boring than anything bruce could ever do , i am not a huge fan but he does have some stuff that is simply great songwriting... ten or fifteen years ago i would never had thought that way , in fact , i can remember the exact moment when i heard a song of his on the radio and i could really relate to it. i thought "wow i must be getting old , i am starting to like bruce springsteen...haha " but thats cool, i don't buy his music , i do enjoy some of it though... as far as austins comment " they charge 80$ dollars a ticket to keep kids like that out anyways" uh yeah right, that is a pretty foolish assumption ... i would bet my left nut that thought process was never involved with the ticket price they arrived at... it seems like these shows are mostly at coliseums and arenas and IMO that price IS a little steep for a venue of that size... and i don't have dreads ... but i would pay 80$ to see him at a smaller venue - not at an arena show....

THoff46 Wed 11/28/2007 12:03AM

I realized what the problem is with all of these arguments and hissy fits. It is not that the Umphreaks and the Cheese doodles should not be allowed to comment. This is their territory. The term "Jam" in jambase has attracted a large community of ignorant, pessimistic, NON musical minds that listen to music as a compliment to their drug habits. They do not realize that this is a website about music, not just jambands. I mean what exactly is a jamband anyway. Have you heard the album "Live Cream". You COULD call all the early rock bands jam bands. Jimi, early Floyd, Santana, THE BOSS, etc. all used collective improvisation in their live performances. Every crappy jamband that comes out of the woodwork today has had diverse musical influences. You think Umphrey's listened to nothing but the Dead and String Cheese or Phish. Trey has talked about his influences as being early Genesis, the B-52s, talking heads, the Boss, and others. QUIT BEING SO CLOSED-MINDED and listen to different kinds of music. Some non-jam bands to check out :

The Killers

Muse

My Morning Jacket

Brad Paisley (could hang with any shredder)

Liquid Soul