WSP: NYE, New Album, Free Single

New Years at Philips Arena December 30 and 31

For the eighth year, Widespread Panic will be ringing in the New Year at Atlanta's Philips Arena December 30 and 31. Mail Order for these shows starts Monday October 15.

Widespread Panic Release Early Single To Fans
From Their Upcoming Studio Album Due In Spring 2008
"Up All Night" Going To Radio and Available for Free Download on October 15

Widespread Panic
As fans await details on the new Widespread Panic studio album, the band has announced that it will release an early track to radio titled "Up All Night." The band's intention is to offer the track free for download on all music sites permitting, with no strings attached. The song is available to download free of charge starting today, October 15 at www.widespreadpanic.com. The single will offer a sneak preview of Panic's tenth studio album slated for full release in Spring 2008 on Widespread Records.

Recorded earlier this year, the yet to be titled CD was produced and mastered by Terry Manning (Led Zeppelin, Lenny Kravitz, ZZ Top, and Al Green) at his Compass Point recording studio in the Bahamas, Nassau. This will be the first release with the band's new guitarist, the legendary Jimmy Herring, who began playing with the band in Fall 2006. Herring has played with such luminaries as The Allman Brothers Band, The Dead, Phil Lesh and Friends and the Aquarium Rescue Unit.

Currently in the midst of their fall tour, Panic's infamous Halloween show will take place in Asheville, NC for the first time. Halloween is inevitably one of most anticipated shows of the year as the band is known for their outrageous stage productions and costumes. This year is no exception with the show selling out 8,000 capacity Civic Centre in just minutes. Past Halloween shows have included themes such as Mars Attacks, where a space ship crash landed onto the stage, and a Mardi Gras themed Bourbon Street.

Panic kicked off this year's summer tour playing their 6th headlining slot at Bonnaroo, a festival that has grown to draw over 90,000 fans. In addition, Sony recently released a Choice Cuts CD featuring a hand picked selection of classic tunes from Panic's formative years on Capricorn records. Widespread Panic is also honored to contribute the John Lennon song "Crippled Inside" for the Instant Karma: The Campaign to Save Darfur CD which is out now on Warner Bros. Records in conjunction with Amnesty International.

Download "Up All Night" HERE.

Widespread Panic Tour Dates available HERE.

[Published on: 10/15/07]

Comments

phishphreak77 starstarstarstarstar Mon 10/15/2007 10:21AM

phishphreak77

SOLID song all around. thanks for the preview, guys!

HOPEFULPHAN starstarstarstarstar Mon 10/15/2007 10:31AM

no love for MN??????????????

Chaloupka starstarstarstarstar Mon 10/15/2007 10:36AM

Chaloupka

Panic just rawked the shit out of Loveland! They're better than ever!!

Astronaut Jones Mon 10/15/2007 11:32AM

Astronaut Jones

anybody else listen to that trac? when did Kenny G join the band?

lvcheese Mon 10/15/2007 11:41AM

lvcheese

Nice.....yeah I heard those Loveland shows were BOMB!! ST. Louis is tomorrow and I will definitely be there. I'm thinking about selling my STS9 ticket on the 30th and hittin up WSP for one night.

delaneyira starstarstarstarstar Mon 10/15/2007 12:06PM

Widespread Panic summed up in one word... EPIC!!!

Mason starstarstarstarstar Mon 10/15/2007 02:19PM

Mason

I must admit I was slowly beginning to lose faith in the band. But yes, they certainly did rock the shit outa Loveland , and once again I am sold on Widespread Panic. Glad to see that they are finally writing some music with Herring, can't wait to see 'em next time around.

phishphreak2009 starstar Mon 10/15/2007 02:36PM

phishphreak2009

I am sorry this new song made me literally bang my head against the table.This is not what Panic is about. I mean imagine seeing them live and playing this pop stuff. Where is the guitar solo from Herring? I love panic but this is like when phish came out with the song "the connection"

Armedaneian starstarstar Mon 10/15/2007 02:46PM

Armedaneian

Josh, who is this Kenny G. you're referring to?

danalog Mon 10/15/2007 02:58PM

danalog

"the LEGENDARY Jimmy Herring"??? Legendary? Sure, the guy can rip...but what has he done besides play "fill-in" that makes him "Legendary"? How many songs has he written? Come on, Legendary?!!?

kirkbrew Mon 10/15/2007 03:04PM

kirkbrew

Kenny G is an alto/tenor sax player. Not sure what that has to do with anything since WSP are using a full horn section.

Song sounds like Brown Eyed Women with a bit of Lennon's Nobody Told Me There Be Days Like These. Is it me, or is Panic finally getting around to doing something different?

kirkbrew Mon 10/15/2007 03:12PM

kirkbrew

blower starstarstar Mon 10/15/2007 03:15PM

Hey Danalog here is why he is a legend. Find anybody that has a bio this impressive then come back and talk.

Interesting sound on the new tune. Got me interested.

Herring:

1962- Born in Fayetteville, North Carolina

1975-Started playing guitar at age 13: first guitar was a Fender Bronco

1980-Attended Berklee College of Music Summer Session

1980-Graduated from high school

1984-85-Attended Guitar Institute of Technology (GIT) in Hollywood, California

1986-Moved to Atlanta to teach at Atlanta Institute of Music; meets drummer Jeff Sipe

1986-88- plays with musicians such as Oteil Burbridge, Jeff Sipe, who introduce him to Col. Bruce Hampton. Later meets and plays with Kofi Burbridge, Count Mbutu, and Matt Mundy.

1989- Asked to join Bruce, Oteil, and Jeff to form Aquarium Rescue Unit.

1989-1995- Aquarium Rescue Unit with Col. Bruce Hampton.

1995- Col. Hampton leaves ARU. Singer Paul Henson joins.

1997-Frogwings with Butch Trucks, Derek Trucks, John Popper, Kofi Burbridge, Oteil Burbridge, Marc Quinones

1998-99 - Jazz Is Dead with Billy Cobham, Alphonso Johnson, T Lavitz. After Billy Cobham departed in 1999, Rod Morgenstein and Jeff Sipe took over the drum chair.

2000-Project Z with Ricky Keller and Jeff Sipe . Begins recording Project Z’s Debut Album

2000-January-Auditions for Phil Lesh and does Spring Tour

2000 with Phil Lesh and Friends

2000 May- joins Allman Brothers from May to late September for ABB Summer 2000 Tour

2000 October- becomes full time member of Phil Lesh and Friends

2002- (March) Recorded Project Z’s second album (to be released in Aug/ Sept. 2005)

2002 Fall-joins original members of the Grateful Dead when they reunite as the Other Ones

2003 and 2004 – The Dead Summer Tours

2004 Fall- works on Mahavishnu (Meeting of the Spirits) and Miles Davis (Black Satin) Tribute Albums

2005- A short hiatus until going to play with The Codetalkers featuring Col. Bruce Hampton. Continues to play with Phil Lesh.

2006-Spring-Herring, Rodgers, Sipe, Fountain and Van Allen

2006-Summer- Herring, Rodgers, Sipe and Fountain

2006-Fall-Joins Widespread Panic for Fall Tour

2007- Continues to play with ARU, WSP and some close friends for now

example1 Mon 10/15/2007 03:51PM

example1

^^^wow nice fact sheet dude. panic much?

Astronaut Jones Tue 10/16/2007 05:53AM

Astronaut Jones

okay kirkbrew. i didn't need a lesson on Kenny G, dude. only speaking of horns in general. check out www.cant-take-a-joke.com/everythingisnotliteral. I'm sure you'll find some people to correct over there also.

hippylippy Tue 10/16/2007 06:40AM

Please, Please, Please don't tell me that is the highlight of their new material. When did they start collaborating with Matchbox 20? Way to poppy sounding for the Panic I love.

cocheese Tue 10/16/2007 06:42AM

cocheese

i thought the new song was great. definitely a different sound to it. POP?? not even close. some people on here need to get over themselves. i wouldn't call herring a legend. i mean seriously? he's a great, no super great guitar player, but legend? he hasn't made a difference in the world, not even in the music world. like someone said before, what songs has he wrote? he has mostly just filled others shoes. he just plays other peoples songs for the most part.

canoftunapudding Tue 10/16/2007 07:06AM

It don't sound like Chilly or Postcard like Panic of old but it ain't bad at all. I commend them for tryin new stuff, creatively they are still keeping active. I guess the horns are Terry Manning's touch. My only complaint is that Jimmy gets lost in the background.

funkyriddims Tue 10/16/2007 09:32AM

funkyriddims

I like the new song, big full sound, and...wait for it... it's new material. I just love the fact that these guys are still writing songs and putting out albums.I have to agree about Herring. I personally love most of everything he has played on. But unless you're a fan of ABB/ARU/PLQ/WSP you probably have no idea who he is. Not exactly "legend" status. Regardless, cant wait to hear the rest of the album!!!

beadiamondsomday starstarstarstarstar Tue 10/16/2007 10:14AM

beadiamondsomday

jimmy is deffinatley legendary, look at his bio and read the names in it, phil lesh, the late cobham, sipe, i mean c'mon people. and IF PANIC PLAYS THAT SONG LIVE AT A SHOW IM AT IM LEAVING, shoes on tight and angels on high were better than this

rza1 starstarstarstarstar Tue 10/16/2007 10:21AM

Reminds me of Van Morrison for sure.Whats wrong with trying something a little new. This new material written with Jimmy is gonna be the heat!! Cant wait until New Years. Oh yeah and HORNS are the s**t

canoftunapudding Tue 10/16/2007 12:57PM

^^I bet you $10 you won't leave a show just because they play "up all night".

j-bizzle starstarstarstarstar Wed 10/17/2007 07:31AM

j-bizzle

Come on this is their radio friendly song. Any one remember action man or little lily? Those are not the greatest songs on Don;t Tell the Band, and really were not even representative of that album. So chill out - you can bet your ass the new Panic album will be the heat!

j-bizzle starstarstarstarstar Wed 10/17/2007 07:37AM

j-bizzle

O1Roggae Wed 10/17/2007 08:30AM

O1Roggae

anyone here going to any of the FL shows or the NYE show? Whoever doensn't like what their herring needs to not comment on this article, because quite frankly herring is the real deal and is the baddest guitarist in the scene right now.

Songlines star Wed 10/17/2007 11:11AM

Widespread has lost its PANIC !!

Replacing guitar with horns, very sad !!!

Widespread has sold their soul to the Radio !!!

OUCH !!!!!! that really hurts

After over 200 shows and 13 years of dedication

This is what the fans get ?????

Mr. Keane were are you ??? WSP lost its soul

gmoo Wed 10/17/2007 12:32PM

gmoo

I'm not too familiar with Panic's music, but I don't see what the fuss is about calling Herring a legend-in-the-making. As an unbiased Panic onlooker, I would think that the Panic faithful would do anything to keep this guy in the band. People hail Jimmy Page as a legend and he can hardly even play a guitar.

If you want a real legend, look no further than Buckethead. He's put his name on NO LESS THAN 75 RELEASES over the past 15 years.

Various Releases:

Buckethead, Death Cube K, Thanatopsis, C2B3, Praxis, Cobra Strike, Shin Teri, Cornbugs, Bucketheadland presents, Giant Robot, Fishbone, Bucket ft. Viggo Mortonson, Zillatron, El Stew, Bill Laswell, Hellborg and Shrieve, Freekbass, Banyan, the list continues...

Complete list: http://www.bingeandgrab.com/discography_projects.html

nsafay Wed 10/17/2007 12:38PM

lost its soul? ouch. that's rough man. CAN ANYBODY HELP ME OUT? had my cds stolen last week and although i've got most of the stuff on my computer, my favorite panic show i've been to is not. 10/28/01. i would really appreciate any help as to where i might be able to get a new copy. thanks.

gmoo Wed 10/17/2007 12:39PM

gmoo

Various Releases:

Complete list: http://www.bingeandgrab.com/discography_projects.html

blower starstarstarstar Wed 10/17/2007 01:32PM

Gmoo-I love Buckethead too and if that comparison works that is fine. I think Buckethead is actually more insane in certain aspects than Herring, such as metal scales, but not jazz. I don't think that invalidates the fact that Jimmy Herring is a legend in the jamband arena. Bucketheads bio is not as diverse as Herring's and most of the bands he has been in are much less known than the ABB, Dead, and WSP, with the exception of GnR.

For a heavy metal act I would definetly choose Buckethead, however.

If one chooses song writing as the standard then Jimmy Page blows Herring or Buckethead away. Sorry Gmoo saying Jimmy Page can't play is a patently false statement. Historical consensus proves you wrong. I have seen him live and your full of it.

But at least you provided Buckethead as a comparison to Herring, unlike Danalog and the others who can't come up with any basis for their arguement. Playing Guitar for the ABB is not Legendary? Come on!

gmoo Wed 10/17/2007 03:52PM

gmoo

Hey I think Jimmy Herring is def on his way to being a legend. The musicians he's played with speaks for itself.

gmoo Wed 10/17/2007 03:56PM

gmoo

I forgot to mention in my first post that I'm all about Herring. I'm not saying at all if he's bettter or worse than Buckethead as I am a huge fan of both.

freekfreely Wed 10/17/2007 07:34PM

Jimmy Herring is a legend in the making . I have been witness to his genius.

Songlines Thu 10/18/2007 01:50PM

No question Jimmy is a great guitar player and WSP is a great band.

So why not make a statement with the new CD !!!

I don't like Terry Mannings sound on "up All Night" or

the last CD.

Bring back that psychedelic southern guitar rock sound

I would think with Herring, JB and Schools you

could make a ripping guitar CD

why cheesey horns ??????????