Sirius Grateful Dead Channel

GRATEFUL DEAD CHANNEL LAUNCHES EXCLUSIVELY
ON SIRIUS SATELLITE RADIO
Highly anticipated channel will feature original radio shows hosted by members of the band,
rare concert performances and insider interviews

Grateful Dead
SIRIUS Satellite Radio (NASDAQ: SIRI) announced the launch of the highly anticipated Grateful Dead Channel. Heard exclusively on SIRIUS, the channel will feature music spanning the Grateful Dead's long and celebrated history. The channel will include rare and unreleased performances, original shows hosted by Grateful Dead founders Bob Weir, Phil Lesh, Mickey Hart and Bill Kreutzmann, as well as rare archival interviews with Jerry Garcia.

The Grateful Dead Channel will make its debut on September 7 at 12 p.m. ET on SIRIUS channel 32 with an extremely rare concert broadcast of the band's 1974 performance at the Hollywood Bowl in Los Angeles, California. This performance will be followed by a special show hosted by Bob Weir, the first by a member of the Grateful Dead on the new channel. The channel will also feature contributions from Grateful Dead expert David Gans, as well as Dead archivist David Lemieux, who will provide a unique look into the Dead's lush past with daily insights.

"Since we announced the launch of the Grateful Dead Channel, it has become one of the most anticipated music channel launches in our history." said Scott Greenstein, President, Entertainment and Sports, SIRIUS. "The loyalty and passion of Grateful Dead fans are the truest testament to the band's legacy. Sirius is thrilled to bring exclusive content to this community and welcomes their continued participation as Sirius becomes part of the Grateful Dead family."

"This is gonna be one fun channel," said the Dead's Bob Weir. "We, the guys in the band, get to be involved as much as we can and we'll make sure it's fun. We want the fans to be involved as well."

[Published on: 8/29/07]

Comments

Luthur starstarstarstarstar Wed 8/29/2007 10:03AM

About time. This thing was supposed to get fired up earlier this summer. I listened to the week long preview on 17 and it is going to be cool.

Road To Shambala Wed 8/29/2007 10:08AM

Road To Shambala

Rockin set list for that show. Maybe I need to get this new fangled radio thingie finally.

oshkoshbuhjosh starstarstarstarstar Wed 8/29/2007 10:31AM

Cannot wait for this channel. Going to be beautiful to hear full length shows, as opposed to the one hour "Gone Phishin" where they never dig into the archive and only play one set at a time.

cocheese Wed 8/29/2007 10:35AM

cocheese

i think i'm gonna go get this Sirius right now.

Armedaneian starstarstarstar Wed 8/29/2007 10:38AM

Armedaneian

boknows what I'm thinking... there's now a reason to get a radio!

NickBoeka Wed 8/29/2007 10:41AM

NickBoeka

i personally am happy that they are finally making a channel just for Dead, and related family. it's been long over-due. I also, very strongly, hope that they make Buddy Cage go over to that station. Whenever he is DJ, it's like JamOn is the GD channel, already. I mean, seriously, a dead tune>a Ratdog tune>a Riders Purple Sage tune>a Radiators tune>a Phil and Friends tune, is your GD hour every night.

I agree that the Live Phish set with Shwartzman is a bore now. They play the same freakin' sets over and over again, and honestly with 1,200+ shows to pick from out there, many of which have some pretty sweet sounding auds/fob/sbd, you would think that they would change it up more.

But, alas, a channel playing my favorite bands that don't get "air" time anywhere else has made my Sirius subscriptions all the more worth it. Plus hearing "new" material from new or new-to-me bands out there, is a great way to get myself into something "new. That and Chill....I love that channel too (although they also play the same shit over and over)

O1Roggae Wed 8/29/2007 12:41PM

O1Roggae

deadhead central, i love it.

guitardave starstarstarstarstar Wed 8/29/2007 01:17PM

guitardave

Yes indeed. I'm glad to see some positive posts on this news. Previously, I recall a bunch of lame cheapos moaning about paying for radio. This is goanna kick ass, its been a long time comin'. Thank you for a real good time GD and Sirius 32.

Makisupa_McGee Wed 8/29/2007 01:37PM

Makisupa_McGee

Yeah, based on the preview of the channel they did a few weeks ago, this is going to be great. The iviews are amazing and give you a glimpse of what it really must have been like much more than you could ever get by listening to some old tapes.

i hope that it turns folks on to this type of music that otherwise wouldnt ever get exposed because its led to such great times for me

PAoldhead starstarstarstar Wed 8/29/2007 01:45PM

"Gonna drink all day, and rock all night..."

Loved the week long preview in August...can't wait till this thing get's mov'in...

bigfro Wed 8/29/2007 02:54PM

bigfro

SIRIUS rules Howard rules. Good to see that they will be playing complete shows.

mhc10 Wed 8/29/2007 07:08PM

I got Sept 7th now marked on the calender. I have been waiting all summer for this.

Sirius Radio is the best. I agree with nick that Gone Phishin plays the same set of shows over and over again, there is alot more shows out there Jonathon Schwartzman.

Howard Stern is the man. Riley Martin too!!!

‹^› ‹(•¿•)› ‹^› {¬¿¬} starstarstarstarstar Thu 8/30/2007 05:20AM

Stern is a loser. I love the grateful dead, but I have enough recordings to keep me happy. :)

This will be good for newbie kiddies that want to start learning Dead music!!

Road To Shambala Thu 8/30/2007 06:16AM

Road To Shambala

Can someone tell Mr Schwarzman we don't care whose house he slept at when he saw Phish shows? Worst radio host ever.

guitardave Thu 8/30/2007 06:34AM

guitardave

May the Schwartz be with you, always. NOT!

YEMolly starstar Thu 8/30/2007 08:03AM

YEMolly

This pisses me off sooo bad. Now I'm all about a Dead channel, but channel 32 is Sirius Disorder, which I love!!!!! It's (WAS) one of the most eclectic channels on Sirius. There are several numbers that don't have channels. Why not use one of those?!? I hear people say they love Sirius Disorder all the time. Why take it away? I mean, was there honestly not another channel they could have used? Hell, there are like 45 classic rock stations. Could they not have taken over one of those?!?!? I'm highly upset over this. Jam On is 50% Grateful Dead anyway. Ugggghhhh...

wenzit420 starstarstarstarstar Thu 8/30/2007 05:53PM

wenzit420

Hahahaha U officially made me laugh. Disorder is okay, nice variety. But dont come on here and look for any support...HAHAHAHAHA

worldbefree starstarstarstar Fri 8/31/2007 06:50AM

worldbefree

Hey Nick and Bo, glad to see I'm not the only one annoyed by the Jam On dj's, most of them are world class name-droppers. I'm always like, "okay, okay, you're a super cool inside scenester-- I get it, now shut up and play some music!"

YEMolly Fri 8/31/2007 07:28AM

YEMolly

No worries, wenzit420. I would NEVER look for support from a group of people who would be satisfied with 50 Sirius Grateful Dead channels. I'm just venting b/c *I* actually enjoy other typs of music, and there is plenty GD already being played on Sirius. But GENERALLY, GD fans are pretty rational, so I would expect for someone to at least say, "Yeah, they should have taken over one of the Top 40 stations." Let's take away the channel that is like no other and replace it with a channel that is just like another. OMG-that makes perfect sense!!! How could I have been such a fool?!

21mmer Fri 8/31/2007 08:06AM

21mmer

you tell 'em yemolly....i'm in total agreement w/ you. although i am happy about an all gd channel....i just wish they would stick it somewhere else. fox news has a channel. perhaps they could stick it there.

ps- people who complain about formulaic/repetitive playlists AND say that howard stern rules make me laugh.

guitardave starstarstarstarstar Fri 8/31/2007 09:17AM

guitardave

Sirius Disorder is awesome. Is it really gone for good? I once heard A.C. Jobim, Frank Zappa, and Bill Monroe all in a row.

YEMolly Fri 8/31/2007 10:00AM

YEMolly

I agree 100%, 21mmer. I'm absolutely not opposed to a GD station, I just wish they could find another channel to "take over." And I'd be really happy if they put it in place of Fox News. :)

Guitardave-I'm not sure if Disorder will be gone for good. I'm assuming it will b/c they could have easily given it a channel number that is vacant. I tried to look around on the website but couldn't find anything out. We shall see, I guess.

RothburyWithCheese starstarstarstarstar Fri 8/31/2007 04:00PM

RothburyWithCheese

What's you favorite Live Dead year? Tour?

Mine is either 1970 (acoustic and electric--how much better can it get?) 1972 or 1977 are ridiculous too.

cliftonhanger420 starstarstarstarstar Fri 8/31/2007 06:56PM

i personally like the 90's GD. it may not be there best in some eyes, but that was the era that i was going to shows. there are so many releases from the 70's that i wish they would release more recent shows. there are even a good handful of 80's shows. i think cal state 5/90 is one of the hottest couple of days i've ever heard from ol' jerry. that terrapin is sick and victim is one of the best i've ever heard.

bdibuojr Sat 9/1/2007 05:20PM

Hey YEMolly...FYI...I belive that they are not getting rid of Disorder...they are just moving it to a different channel...why they didnt just use that channel or one of the vacant ones is beyond me...

deadheadjohnny Sun 9/2/2007 12:02PM

i agree with cliftonhanger 420

guitardave starstarstarstarstar Tue 9/4/2007 01:28PM

guitardave

Every era of pre- Vince Welnick Dead (there I said it) has its merit.

1965-69 had the birth of a band, over the top psychedelia, and Pigpen. 70-72 (so many great new songs) gave us Live Dead, American Beauty, Workingman's, Skull and Roses, and of course Europe 72. 73-75 (another classic)was the GD Records Era which gave us Wake of the Flood, Mars Hotel and Blues for Allah, plus the GD Movie, 1977-80 (The first few Arista years) gave us Terrapin, Shakedown, (imagine the catalog without those two title tracks)Egypt, the return of double drums, plus Go To Heaven (a shaky recording with plenty of concert staples )and Reckoning. Early 80s saw Arena tours, mid 80s saw an obese Jerry almost perish, late 80s (despite the ills of In The Dark megastardom) saw both a re-birth of Jerry and the further development of Brent and the reintro of Dark Star, HSF, Bid You Goodnite, Attics, etc. I thought when Brent died they had to rush to replace him due to the constraints of time and a monsterous overhead; the music suffered along with JG.

Dwizard Wed 9/5/2007 12:23AM

Hey Dave I don't want to fight but I think your timeline is a bit off. Pig was around untill late '72 and Mickey returned in '73. As for Vince he was hand pickd by Jerry an brought back much of the joy Jerry had lost. You also forgot to mention they had Hornsby fill in for quite awhile untill they found Vince. I actually saw Vinces first show in '92 and was blown away by the size of Jerry's smile that night. Either way I agree that each era had it's moements and I have favorites from each. Early '80's rocked if you liked the speed and momentum of their coke days, the rip roaring blues of Pig always gets ya shaking, the mid seventies they found a goofy groovy thing and the ninties were so polished they almost reminded me of a symphony some nights. Granted I might be off on some of the dates but I'm real happy to see the music will be 24/7 soon!

guitardave starstarstarstarstar Wed 9/5/2007 06:53AM

guitardave

Your points are well taken. I should have mentioned Pig for that "second" era, however he was so depleted by alcoholism sickness that his contributions were limited. Hence the addition of Keith Godchaux, look at how gaunt he was during the Europe 72 tour. Mickey actually returned in December,1974 to sit in at the encore of the Winterland show which is documented in the GD Movie. Dont' forget this was going to be the last show for a while. According to Phil he just drove down with his drums in his car. There was then an almost 2 year hiatus with the exception of the Great American Music Hall Blues for Allah show in '75, and a few others in '76. Therefore the band didn't really crank up the touring machine until 1977, which included, of course, double drums. I always appreciated Hornsby but didn't mention him because he never signed on full time. Vince's first show was not in 92 but 1990 alongside of Hornsby. Bruce stayed on until Vince was ready to fly solo.

O1Roggae starstarstarstarstar Wed 9/5/2007 11:37AM

O1Roggae

best 90's show ive heard to me is Sam Boyd Silver Bowl at UNLV 06-24-1994

a must download

Hell In A Bucket, Peggy-O, Minglewood Blues, Ramble On Rose, El Paso, So Many Roads, Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues, The Music Never Stopped Victim Or The Crime-> Eyes Of The World-> Box Of Rain, Saint Of Circumstance-> Terrapin Station >, Drums-> Space-> The Wheel-> All Along The Watchtower-> Morning Dew, E: U.S. Blues

guitardave starstarstarstarstar Wed 9/5/2007 12:43PM

guitardave

Check out the Nassau run from Spring 90. The New York area always brought out the fire in the boys.

That Silver Bowl gig is nice viewing on You Tube. Jerry is hanging on and delivering the goods.

krbbagel Wed 9/5/2007 07:48PM

krbbagel

I have to say the addition of a Grateful station makes a boy like me want a Sirius radio ;) So far I've been working off of burned live CD's, but it'd be great to have a little variety in my life :P

lbk909 starstarstarstarstar Fri 9/7/2007 01:51PM

lbk909

I've always tossed around the idea of getting a Sirius radio, and this definitely makes it worth every penny. Have you guys see the website? There is a free trial i'm gonna check out before committing. www.sirius.com/gratefuldead

lbk909 starstarstarstarstar Fri 9/7/2007 01:56PM

lbk909

petemora starstarstar Tue 9/11/2007 01:03PM

Listen to guitardave. the man knows his shit. sirius disorder is on channel 90. they just had an interview with jerry in 1975 where he talks about how sick pigpen was between 71-72 and that they thought he was actually starting to die in 1971.