RAQ DO LEW-AU II

RAQ
Slanted View Productions and RAQ are excited to announce Lew-Au II, a two-day camping and music event in Newport, VT on July 21 and July 22. RAQ, the energetic quartet from Burlington, VT, will deliver at least five sets of its high performance music throughout the weekend and headline the event for the second time. Other acts that have signed on include Strangefolk, Al & The Transamericans, Jaik Miller Band and The Brew. More bands TBA.

The first Lew-Au took place in New Woodstock, NY where over 600 fans flocked to experience multiple sets from RAQ, Jazz Mandolin Project, and DJ Logic. This year the festival will make its debut in RAQ's home state of Vermont where they hope to find a home for the event and make it an easy drive from anywhere in the northeast region. Guitarist, Chris Michetti, says, "It was important for us to have this in Vermont. We feel as though we represent it. We owe a lot to this state. This band grew up here together. We were conceived here. This is the most important gig of the year for us, possibly in our career and having it in Vermont just feels right."

Comments

HOPEFULPHAN starstarstarstarstar Wed 6/6/2007 11:44AM

raq=tight

andterp Wed 6/6/2007 12:06PM

Raq is good, but they were really rude to me and a buddy at a post show area, the exact words were "why the fuck are you here", we had been invited by our freinds who were opening that night for them....really talented on guitar and keys!

phishr82 starstarstarstarstar Wed 6/6/2007 12:14PM

phishr82

RAQ is really tight, although the last time i saw them i got kicked out of troy, new york for smoking a pipe in the parking lot. the cop made my gf at the time throw her pipe in the river. obviously it was our fault, but it sucked nontheless. good to hear that they're ragin this on in VT

letshavesomefun Wed 6/6/2007 12:21PM

RAQ = ok

lvcheese Wed 6/6/2007 12:26PM

lvcheese

RAQ is the shit.....check them out

Chaloupka Wed 6/6/2007 12:29PM
AdCo Wed 6/6/2007 01:36PM

AdCo

anyone else find irony in the fact that Chris Michetti absolutely shreds la guitarra? or is it just me

hellyeah Wed 6/6/2007 02:00PM

do you know the definition or irony?

hellyeah Wed 6/6/2007 02:01PM

of irony

lvcheese Wed 6/6/2007 04:51PM

lvcheese

They do sound like phish quite a bit and I think thats ok. The music and lyrics are amazing. Anyone going to wakarusa will get 2 chances to catch them.

CSchneids929 starstarstarstarstar Wed 6/6/2007 05:34PM

raq is a fun show. just saw them at mtn jam. they got this song called the "donkey song" and its great. good guitarist

roberto767 Wed 6/6/2007 05:52PM
Thought Criminal Wed 6/6/2007 10:11PM

Thought Criminal

I am stocked to see RAQ yet again, this time at WAKARUSA

‹^› ‹(•¿•)› ‹^› {¬¿¬} starstarstarstarstar Thu 6/7/2007 04:37AM

they are not phish, they do not play phish songs, yes they grew up with the music of phish, yes it influenced them alot.
they are taking the sound phish used and they MAKE IT THEIR OWN. this is the primary focus everyone needs to understand.
I have seen them only once, and all I can say is they are freakin fun!!! I will go see raq any chance I get. Just one show got me hooked. go see them, you will love it.
peace and raq music forever.

‹^› ‹(•¿•)› ‹^› {¬¿¬} starstarstarstarstar Thu 6/7/2007 04:45AM
Redworm starstarstarstarstar Thu 6/7/2007 06:35AM

Smash Smash, Have Kids, Go to lew Au, Go to lew Au, GO!

Seriously go. This is going to be a freakin' great weekend. I am very excited to get away from the massive festivals, and attend Lew Au.

Also the Phish criticism is getting a little rediculous. They are a four piece band from Vermont, that play jammy music. By definition that doesn't make them Phish wannabes. I honestly believe if this band was from Portland, ME. They wouldn't get half the Phish Criticism they do.

Go to Lew Au!

Happy Husk starstar Thu 6/7/2007 06:44AM

Happy Husk

RAQ is a tight band that has been forced into the phish sound alike character just for being from VT. They are not like phish they will never be as big as phish and I don't think they want to be. They are a small stage band and have been for a long time. I have seen them a bunch of times and always on a small stage. The sound is awesome! andterp I agree with you but I think its only stoops that is rude and a bit pig headed. The rest of the guys seem to be chill and have hung with fans after and before the show.HAPPY HUSK ORGANIC ROLLING PAPERS, check us out www.happyhusk.com - PS we are looking for a new web designer if anyone knows of someone.

giantreed Thu 6/7/2007 07:59AM

From the songs I've heard of RAQ, they really impressed me with both their precision and virtuosity. An extremely talented band!

However, as mentioned by few others above, I met RAQ and they were both rude and conceited. (The conceit was especially surprising as this was 4 or 5 years ago when they just got a name and co-headlined a show in Chicago with New Monsoon which was attended by about 40 - 50 people).

There's so many talented bands around, why would I ever care to patron shows of a group with a bad attitude?

DELYEAH starstarstarstarstar Thu 6/7/2007 08:22AM

DELYEAH

RAQ is amazing live. They actually have a distinct sound that differs from Phish, in my opinion. I saw them at Headliners in Columbia, SC play to a really small crowd, but had everybody moving. The venue wasn't my favorite, but RAQ definitely exceeded my expecatations. I'm glad to see a newer band that brings such raw energy and unpredictability.

‹^› ‹(•¿•)› ‹^› {¬¿¬} starstarstarstarstar Thu 6/7/2007 09:16AM

a good attitude with fans goes a long way. nothing can make you hate a musician more than if he treats you like a peon.
Us peons buy your albums and we go to your show, show us the same respect we show you. To be honest, no one should have to be told TO BE NICE TO FANS. right?

srippin1234 Thu 6/7/2007 09:20AM

RAQ will kick you all in the face...stoops is god!...well atleast he's got the long hair...

Meatcampjon Thu 6/7/2007 09:23AM

Raq area great bunch of guys. They really aren't rude at all. However they love to be comical. So most likely if they were mean to you, it was a joke and they didn't mean to make you hate them. These guys are killer and rage it. I saw them on NYE at the Visulite and the rage it to a sold out crowd.

gmoo Thu 6/7/2007 12:17PM

gmoo

I have yet to see Roberto767 post a positive message about ANY band. Why do you frequent this site hater?

O1Roggae Thu 6/7/2007 01:17PM

O1Roggae

i personally don't think there are 4 musicians that could do exactly what phish did, ever, phish is unique and will always be, gmoo is right stop posting such negative things about musicians it just gets worn out when people complain and whine about bands that they think suck. be positive focus on the good not the bad

jphunk starstarstar Thu 6/7/2007 01:37PM

Like Redworm says, the Phish comparisons are getting a little tired. The influence will always be there but RAQ has such a thrashing/heavier sound and have really become quite refreshing in a scene where so much seems watered down.

And they are indeed a bunch of jokers!! I wouldn't take anything too personal

GO TO LEW AU, GO GO!!!!!

DBang Thu 6/7/2007 09:44PM
pejay115 starstarstar Thu 6/7/2007 10:00PM

pejay115

Ummm RAQ ... an old movie on repeat

BlewW044 Thu 6/7/2007 10:57PM

They dont sound like Phish, if anyone its Umphrey's, but you can tell they or the guitarist(what's his name)listened to Phish religiously. They are a technical band based on technacalities rather than emotion. Yo, Yo, Yo, and doobie smack head joints!!!!! MUSIC is the shit and that is all that matters. More tunes!! More tunes!!! goulet

KBeers Fri 6/8/2007 11:26AM

they sounds very much like phish, and it used to bother me when phish was still playing, I didn't see the point in going to see a band so similar...but now that I cannot see phish I am a much bigger RAQ fan. I think their skill amd their music has grown over the last few years. They are avery good band

nedstruzz starstarstarstarstar Fri 6/8/2007 12:30PM

I like em!

HOPEFULPHAN starstarstarstarstar Fri 6/8/2007 12:36PM

blew name one umphreys song that sounds like phish.

‹^› ‹(•¿•)› ‹^› {¬¿¬} starstarstarstarstar Fri 6/8/2007 01:51PM

UM doesnt sound like phish, maybe in the vague sense that they use alot of modes. Modal tunes are based solidly in jazz, and UM uses them alot. Phish did this with the early stuff, like the first album with A train, a classic jazz number.
other than use of modes in their tunes, they are not like phish at all. RAQ has the phish sound, but its quite different, and at times, to me, better. nuff said. peaches ya'll..

timreiser starstarstarstar Fri 6/8/2007 03:41PM

Raq is a really talented band, i mean nothing superb but talented, however i think theyd have bigger fan base if they didnt treat their fans like shit. I mean ive seen them like 5 times and every time i leave thinking god what a bunch of dicks! They even go as far as mocking the fans during their show. I dont think theyll progress much in the future because of this. Bands like UM and tDB etc built fanbases by thanking the fans for coming out and being appreciative. Raq dosent give a flying shit about any of their fans. They are so fucking rude and ego maniacle.

johnnyblaze36 Fri 6/8/2007 04:52PM

If you want to know who RAQ sounds like it's olospo. And that's a good thing. And not one single bit of them sounds like Umphrey's McGee...also a good thing. They are great and Jay and Chris seemed really nice when I met them a few months back in Dallas and Austin.

oldfartatplay Fri 6/8/2007 05:54PM

oldfartatplay

saw raq at the cabooze - after, jay signed a friends set list and told us an awsome mt.rushmore story. geez-what a dick! of course, they could reasonably be compared to phish in some ways. how dare they? maybe, when you belly-ache about something that you don't like, you could also think to mention something you do like, so i know you're not just a big ol' belly-acher. that being said, i hate the new promo photo.

‹^› ‹(•¿•)› ‹^› {¬¿¬} starstarstarstarstar Mon 6/11/2007 01:05PM

that is an awful photo, makes you leery of even wanting to go see them.

BlewW044 Wed 6/13/2007 09:40PM

hopeful phan I was saying Raq sounds like Umphrey's, not that they are copying them but they both have the same technical sound

‹^› ‹(•¿•)› ‹^› {¬¿¬} starstarstarstarstar Thu 6/14/2007 05:14AM

raq is more like pish than um.

Seangus starstarstar Thu 6/14/2007 11:45AM

go to a show. there will be dancing phenomenal jams sexy people and tabs galore. seen them 8 times now going for more. love em liked their sound before stoops, but he has definitely brought a lot to the band mostly positive. Raq and Folk great combo embrace to hippie self in the space cadet state

Road To Shambala Thu 6/14/2007 01:36PM

Road To Shambala

Does their lead singer do a lot of oxycotin?

nedstruzz Fri 6/15/2007 10:11AM

"Does their lead singer do a lot of oxycotin?"

No, actually none.

RAQ sounds like Phish, Like Phish sounded like the Dead, Like UM sounds like the Disco Biscuits, like the Disco Biscuits sound like STS9.... should I go on?

You all are crazy and need to get a new hobby.