CLUTCH ALBUM & TOUR

CLUTCH UNLEASHES NEW ALBUM
FROM BEALE STREET TO OBLIVION, MARCH 27
WORLD TOUR, BONNAROO APPEARANCE TO FOLLOW

Clutch
Clutch has been kings of the metal underground for years by this point – on the strength of such past classics as The Elephant Riders and Pure Rock Fury. But with their latest release, From Beale Street to Oblivion, the quintet – which includes oft-bearded singer Neil Fallon, guitarist Tim Sult, bassist Dan Maines, drummer Jean-Paul Gaster, and organist Mick Schauer – Clutch is threatening to infiltrate the mainstream full-on. And it's not that the group has softened their sound at all, it's just that it's arguably the band's strongest album from front-to-back.

Produced by Joe Barresi (who has worked with Kyuss, Tool, Melvins, Queens Of The Stone Age, etc.), the twelve track album touches upon a myriad of hard rock styles – stoner rock, southern rock, blues metal, and plenty of tasty jams. "This is probably the most 'live' album we have recorded," enthuses Fallon about Beale Street. "We went out for a few weeks, and played the music on the road. So, when we went into the studio, all of us knew exactly what was going to happen - a first for Clutch. I don't know why we haven't done it this way all along; it's so much easier.

We also recorded the basic tracks directly onto tape. Nothing digital in there at all. We haven't done that since The Elephant Riders. And this record has a few more bluesy elements than has been the case in the past, but nothing so blatant that it could be called alien to what we do." One of rock's most hard-working live bands, Clutch will be supporting the March 27 release of the album (which is their third for the DRT label) with a world tour – including U.S., European, and Australian dates, as well as an appearance at the mammoth Bonnaroo Festival on June 14. "Musically, we've become much more of a rock 'n' roll band now, as opposed to being a metal or hardcore one," says Fallon. "Our style is riff oriented, with a swing. It's never been a calculated move; we just followed our instinct, and that is leading us closer to those bands to whom we listened in our childhood. Bands which are now termed as 'classic rock'." With From Beale Street to Oblivion, it won't be long until Fallon and company are mentioned in the same breath as their classic rock heroes.

CLUTCH FROM BEALS STREET TO OBLIVION confirmed tracklisting:

1. You Can't Stop Progress 2:40
2. Power Player 3:05
3. The Devil & Me 3:55
4. White's Ferry 5:23
5. Child of the City 3:51
6. Electric Worry 5:15
7. One Eye Dollar 1:24
8. Rapture of Riddley Walker 4:08
9. When Vegans Attack 4:54
10. Opossum Minister 4:27
11. Black Umbrella 4:05
12. Mr. Shiny Cadillackness 5:11

Clutch tour dates available HERE.

[Published on: 4/19/07]

Comments

mattland Thu 4/19/2007 11:44AM

mattland

I've been known to double clutch.

Jammer1086 Thu 4/19/2007 12:11PM

Jammer1086

Clutch is the shit. I got into these guys last year. Check them out. They are kinda "jammy" for a hard rock/metal band (Not really metal is you ask me). Check out Pure Rock Fury and Clutch.

craikes13 starstarstarstarstar Thu 4/19/2007 12:18PM

craikes13

...been listening to these guys for awhile. They are an excellent mix of everything hard rock and jammin'.

I have never seen them live, so here's to yet another reason to go to the 'Roo

keenan41 Thu 4/19/2007 12:34PM

keenan41

Yea these guys are great. Back in the day (97 or 98) I actually bought a Limp Bizkit ticket only because Clutch was the opening band. I haven't listened to them in a while but they seem to be popping up everywhere

Pimphand starstarstarstar Thu 4/19/2007 01:28PM

It seems stupid that they don't play Austin...porr booking by their tour manager!

Pimphand starstarstarstar Thu 4/19/2007 01:28PM

It seems stupid that they don't play Austin...poor booking by their tour manager!

multibeast starstarstarstarstar Thu 4/19/2007 02:06PM

multibeast

Can't wait to see these guys again. I got my first Clutch album way back in '93, have heard the jeers from friends ever since, but I haven't stopped listening. With their groove heavy basslines and guitar licks to their funny and well written lyrics to their underrated presence under the radar, Clutch is the rip!

cmaxwell Thu 4/19/2007 03:23PM

JESUS ON THE DASHBOARD!! Don't really know much about Clutch other than that song, but I thought it was the shit when I was in high school.

pgeano starstarstarstarstar Thu 4/19/2007 03:29PM

I've been listening to these guys since The Speedway League. Every single thing they've ever put out has been awesome (which is more than I can say for some of the bands that I consider my favorites)!

Flyingbird73 Thu 4/19/2007 03:51PM

Flyingbird73

I haven't listended to Clutch in many years, so I'm honestly wondering: is touring w/ Backyard Tire Fire as odd a pairing as it seems to me? I've seen BTF in the last year and just wouldn't assimilate these two bands...and that's not passing jdgmnt on either, just wondering cuz I'm kinda interested as they're coming to town

Flyingbird73 Thu 4/19/2007 03:53PM

Flyingbird73

I breezed over the show listing and assumed it said Chuch, that band out of VT, cuz they are somewhat similar to BTF

vida421 starstarstarstarstar Thu 4/19/2007 04:18PM

vida421

Clutch is a really good metal band...they're not the best players, but they are one of the best unknowns out there...I've been on board since I first heard "marcus"...they have matured nicely, and if you like heavy rock and roll check these guys out...the new album is a little weak, but there old stuff is f'n awsome!

vida421 Thu 4/19/2007 04:22PM

vida421

By the way there shows are hit or miss..and they do play different sets every night...also look into "the bakerton group"...this is the bassist, guitarist, and drummer just jamming...the best tour they ever did bakerton opened up for 2 sets of Clutch...check out pro-rock.com

kyuss1313 starstarstarstarstar Thu 4/19/2007 05:10PM

kyuss1313

Kudos jambase for the nod...finally. Clutch has been the single most innovative band in underground hard rock for the last 10 years. Every album is a new direction, with the latest fulfilling every stoner rock/blues fans' dream album. I've been following them heavily on the road for the last 8 years, and the shows rarely are hit or miss. I think I've seen one subpar set in the last 17 shows over the past 3 years... Cannot fucking wait for b'roo. Hope they get a late evening slot on Thursday and get over an hour to stretch out. HAIL TO THE VETERANS OF THE TRADE!!!!

All Loving Liberal White Guy Thu 4/19/2007 09:42PM

All Loving Liberal White Guy

I saw CLutch back in 96 when they were supposed to open up for Orange 9mm at the Newport Music Hall in Columbus, Ohio. Orange 9mm never showed up but Clutch was able to keep all their fans happy and rocking by tearing the roof off the place. Awesome night!

Swim2TheMoon Fri 4/20/2007 12:07PM

Swim2TheMoon

Clutch is great and they just keep maturing! Saw them here in Pittsburgh in December and can't wait to catch 'em at Bonnaroo!

Anabolic starstarstarstarstar Sat 4/21/2007 02:47AM

Anabolic

Fortune tellers make a killin' nowa' days. Me oh my!

vida421 Sat 4/21/2007 02:49PM

vida421

Howdy Doody's past the house of Aquarius,
Bring me more whiskey and rye!!!!!!!!

MutilatedLips Tue 4/24/2007 11:15AM

MutilatedLips

The Elephant Riders is a great Clutch album, thats the only one Ive had a chance to check out so far. I havent had the chance to see them live yet, but they seem like they could really get their jam on

vida421 Tue 4/24/2007 05:38PM

vida421

you know about the bonus track on riders right? drangonfly is my personal fav

Thurman Merman starstarstarstarstar Tue 4/24/2007 07:25PM

Thurman Merman

one of the most underrated bands in music today, period.

vida421 Wed 4/25/2007 03:05PM

vida421

Blackjack booted demons
Have surrounded my home
Got dogs and 'copters
and keep ringing my phone

Well I don't know if I'm coming or going
If it's them or me
Oh, but one things for certain
Willie Nelson only smokes the killer weed

Now they're breaking my windows
Banging on my doors
Got me down and hog-tied
Rifling through my drawers
Boss demon tells me
Oh how he would like to kill me
Wait a minute tough guy
My disease does that for free

Well I don't know if I'm coming or going
If it's them or me
Oh, but one things for certain
Willie Nelson only smokes the killer weed
Well I don't know if I'm coming or going
If it's them or me
Oh, but one things for certain
Willie Nelson only smokes the greenest green
Well I don't know if I'm coming or going