PAGE JOINS HIGH SIERRA

From www.highsierramusic.com:

Page McConnell
Get ready for another memorable High Sierra Music Festival! We're very excited to announce that Page McConnell will be making his High Sierra debut this summer. Best known as Phish's "Chairman of the Boards," this gifted keyboardist has returned from a two-year performing hiatus with a brand new, self-titled album.

Other notable recent additions include Anders Osborne, Kyle Hollingsworth, Garaj Mahal, Patrice Pike, Salvador Santana Band and a Sunday Morning Gospel Show hosted by Papa Mali and Carolyn Wonderland.

Full lineup available HERE.

The Slip
Get ready for another memorable High Sierra Music Festival! We're very pleased to announce even more new additions to this year's lineup, including The Slip, Surprise Me Mr. Davis, Xavier Rudd, Zilla, Chris Berry & Panjea featuring Michael Kang and more.

Discount tickets are on sale now!

17TH ANNUAL HSMF :: JULY 5-8, 2007 :: QUINCY, CALIFORNIA

HIGH SIERRA 2007 :: LINEUP ADDITIONS

Drive-By Truckers
We're very pleased to announce these new additions to this year's High Sierra Music Festival line-up: trance-fusion electronic quartet The Disco Biscuits (returning to rock the fest with their far-out soaring jams); red-hot, powerful three-guitar-assault southern rockers Drive-By Truckers (in their very first High Sierra appearance); soulful, captivating new-folk guitarist and singer/songwriter Martin Sexton (in his first High Sierra appearance in nearly a decade!); dreamy, alluring indie folk band (and frequent Devendra Banhart collaborator) Vetiver; the gruff, groovy, get-down swamp-funk of Papa Mali; eleven piece, Afro-influenced psychedelic funk ensemble The Budos Band; all-star, spontaneous and audience-engaging super jam collective The Everyone Orchestra; and Reeble Jar, a seven-piece fusion of funk, blues, acid jazz, tribal rhythms and hot breakbeats. Discount tickets are on sale now!

The 17th Annual High Sierra Music Festival
Thursday July 5th - Sunday, July 8th, 2007

By popular demand, the fine folks at HSMF headquarters are ready to release the initial list of artists that will be performing up at Quincy this year. Many acts are still yet to be announced in the coming months. For now, you can start your planning with the following information.

HSMF 2007 INITIAL LINEUP:
Yonder Mountain String Band
Leftover Salmon Reunion
Les Claypool
Galactic
The Del McCoury Band
Soulive
Chris Thile & the How to Grow a Band featuring Bryan Sutton, Greg Garrison, Noam Pikelny, and Gabe Witcher
Mavis Staples
Tea Leaf Green
ALO
Ivan Neville's Dumpstaphunk
JJ Grey & MOFRO
Brian Auger's Oblivion Express
Strings For Industry featuring Darol Anger, Tony Furtado, Scott Law, Tye North and Carlton Jackson
The Waybacks
Rev. Peyton's Big Damn Band
Ryan Montbleau Band
Eddie Roberts' Roughneck
Tzol & Tierro: the Kan'Nal Acoustic Duo
Lynx
56 Hope Road

Early bird tickets, vehicle and RV passes are on sale now and can be purchased online as well as via phone at 1.866.468.3399 (note that phone orders will result in higher service fees). High Sierra has partnered with TicketWeb this year for all ticketing fulfillment, which will enable them to offer more shipping choices as well as a print-at-home option for late night tickets, thus eliminating long will-call lines at the festival.

A limited number of discounted tickets are being offered for $145 and will be available at this price through March 26th or while supplies last. If you are thinking about purchasing an RV pass, please note the info below.

Premium FestivALL packages will be available for purchase on March 19th. These popular packages include four-day festival passes plus access to a VIP area near the Grandstand Stage, Late Night combination wristbands (access to all Late Night shows), and Vehicle or RV Passes plus festival t-shirts, festival posters and drink tickets. This year additional upgrades to the VIP area will be offered including an elevated viewing area, private port-o-johns, free chair massage, and light refreshments during Happy Hour.

As of today, March 16, only a handful of on-site RV Passes were still available for this year's festival. In response to the need for more RV capacity, the festival has secured an area just across Lee Road from RV Town for overflow RVs. RV Annex is an easy stroll to Fairgrounds Gate 3 and the RV Town showers. This will be "dry camping" as there are no hook-ups on this site, and because the ground is dry in the summer we recommend bringing rugs or something to lay out in front of the entryway to your RV. A limited amount of RV Annex passes are on sale now for $80. Please note that RV Annex passes will not allow you to bring your RV into the Fairgrounds.

[Published on: 5/19/07]

Comments

jerryil starstarstarstarstar Fri 3/16/2007 08:57AM
deadpig79 Fri 3/16/2007 08:58AM

deadpig79

leftover fucking salmon. thank christ!!! please com to the north west!

beadiamondsomday starstarstarstarstar Fri 3/16/2007 09:03AM

beadiamondsomday

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH LoS yaeeeeeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

NickBoeka Fri 3/16/2007 09:05AM

NickBoeka

hrmm....

moephishH2O Fri 3/16/2007 09:11AM
adamlangolf starstarstarstarstar Fri 3/16/2007 09:12AM

Yes...yes.....did i say yes.....man oh man. this could not be more perfect. I leave for Portland, OR on April 30th and was pissed about missing Wakarusa. I've defended it and did not get the same negative vibe lots of others had with the fuzz. I heard similar things about High Sierra last year. NOthing....not even a cloned army of George Bush/Arnold Schwarznegger hybrids could stop me from attending a Leftover Salmon reunion. As far as traditional jambands go... next to Phish...for me...there is nothing better!!!!

Andy starstarstarstarstar Fri 3/16/2007 09:23AM

Andy

Sweetness. Works great for me. See you there!

cheese87 Fri 3/16/2007 09:24AM
festivarian840 Fri 3/16/2007 09:48AM

cheese87- are you kidding? borefest? I wouldn't exactly call LoS a bluegrass band. the highcountry, rock-zydeco-infused slamgrass is about the least boring thing I can think of....and I'll take a YMSB show over just about anything but Leftover anytime. Two of the most original bands out there. Thank God it's not some boring electronica horsecrap.

‹^› ‹(•¿•)› ‹^› {¬¿¬} starstarstarstarstar Fri 3/16/2007 09:55AM
Tan starstarstarstarstar Fri 3/16/2007 10:00AM

Tan

Oh yes, Bassnectar is all I need.

shonuff Fri 3/16/2007 10:01AM

I Like This Festival for a couple of reasons....one they got leftover back, second Yonder is finally becoming a main stage act, and third this line-up is alot different than the major festivals(10KL, All Good, Langerado, Waka) Plus, you know that they are going bring additional acts and what not. Also, the waybacks are a really great band, check them out on archive.org if you get the chance. Create Peace.

chicoavenue starstarstar Fri 3/16/2007 10:03AM

so far happy with the line up-galactic, les, strings 4 industry, mofro. looking fwd to the neville band--will henry butler or george porter be playing with him too? BUT still would like to see a few more bands added, how about grace potter, mother hips, thamusemeant. --- what bothers me is the elitist/expensive festivALL pckgs. tsk,i guess it's business.

festivarian840 starstarstarstarstar Fri 3/16/2007 10:03AM

also- not to start any rumors but I've heard from a reliable source that Trey possibly will soon be announced as another headliner and/or possibly Ween. That should round things out for all the folks who think it's too acoustic.

soulink starstarstarstarstar Fri 3/16/2007 10:07AM

soulink

Sweet... Soulive and Bassnectar... how 'bout some Kid Koala or DJ Shadow in there.

festivarian840 Fri 3/16/2007 10:21AM

Chris Thile's "How to Grow a Band" is an incredible lineup with the BEST young virtuoso players alive. If you've never seen Thile play mando or Sutton play guitar or Gabe play fiddle, then don't miss this act. They are all virtuosos. Thile is nearly flawless. Sutton is like a young hybrid of Tony Rice, and Doc Watson, Witcher is a monster on the fiddle and is great to watch live. And Noam is LoS's banjo player and Bela Fleck's protege(one of the best alive), also Greg Garrison is sick on bass. Don't miss this!!

willm1 Fri 3/16/2007 10:25AM

willm1

i thought phix went on like hiatus or whatever

Lot Dawg Fri 3/16/2007 10:27AM

Lot Dawg

Has HSMF made a public statement about the overbearing cops and the solution to the paranoia that may keep people away? The people who attend this fest are good people and not criminals... My civil rights have been compromised while at this festival, should I miss what would be year 7 for me ? oh!!! and be sure to pick up one of the local vendors shirts while you are there, its great.. "go to Quincy on Vacation.. Leave on Probation"..!!! :) I love this festival too, as well as my freedom.

acomma starstarstarstarstar Fri 3/16/2007 10:32AM

acomma

My god. I wish i wasn't like 3,000 miles away from California. What a lineup.

Luthur starstarstarstarstar Fri 3/16/2007 10:37AM

Leftover Fucking Salmon!!! Whoohooo!

moephishH2O - Damn weddings. I feel for you. Got to add to the list of when people cannot get married and expect me to show up.

1. College Football Saturdays.
2. March
3. Festival Season

Note... If you haven't gotten married and plan to some day, plan it for February. Nothing else is going on and people are bored.

froginapuddle Fri 3/16/2007 10:44AM

Seriously??? PHIX????
Is Jam-band Culture Coming To the Point Where a Phish Cover band (no matter how good they are) is being brought......examine yourselves people......whats it about? <3

lotusfuckinrocks starstarstarstarstar Fri 3/16/2007 10:52AM
cliftonhanger420 Fri 3/16/2007 10:58AM

first of all, Cheese must be a SCI fan, because only an ignorant fool would call this a bad lineup. there are many great selections to choose from on this bill. i'm glad String Cheese is not on the lineup, there is much better bluegrass then what they have to offer. there is nothing wrong with bluegrass either. As for froginapuddle, what about Dark Star Orchestra playing All Good. Phix will no longer exist soon and people like you can stop bitching and whining. Phish do not exist and Phix is our chance to get a Phix. I'm sure they are not playing the main stage, but i'll put money on it that they will have a large crowd groovin'. i live in new york so i probably won't make it, but it looks killer and i'd go if i could. Leftover Salmon rock and i'm glad to see them back, they haven't got enought credit. I like them a lot better then SCI and have seen both.

pinkfloydfan420 Fri 3/16/2007 11:02AM

ALO
JJ Grey & MOFRO
The Waybacks
Hot Buttered Rum
Phix
Outformation

NIIIIIICE! Hey, does anybody know who Les is touring with this summer? He has a bunch of solo shows (All Good Festival included) & I was wondering what to expect. Hopefully last second it will be him & buckethead.

Luthur starstarstarstarstar Fri 3/16/2007 11:03AM

Clifton - It's just the knee-jerk jackass responses that you see on any initial Festi line-up. I sort of enjoy it because then I know those assholes won't ruining a festival I'm enjoying the hell out of.

Cheese is probably an SCI fan which is hilarious seeing how Cheese started off and for several years was based deep in the bluegrass.

SuperDee starstarstarstarstar Fri 3/16/2007 11:11AM

SuperDee

you had me at "high sierra"

fanning Fri 3/16/2007 11:20AM
easy_jim star Fri 3/16/2007 11:38AM

easy_jim

Some great fokls on the line-up, but no Alfred Howard & K23 Orchestra and no Delta Nove is disappointing.

HSMF needs to bring both of these California bands back to the festival after having neither one last year. Hopefully the festival organizers will add them in a later announcement.

Jenny Jen Fri 3/16/2007 11:55AM

Jenny Jen

This should be fun. Would love to see Mike & Leo out there, but hey, we've got some Phix. Salmon should rip it up at this festival...

dfreshvt Fri 3/16/2007 12:03PM

decent lineup... I just feel like its lacking something in comparison to last year... all good, summer camp, 10K, and mountain jam sound better... (in my opinion)

androckguitar starstarstar Fri 3/16/2007 12:06PM

androckguitar

The line-up is decent....
High Sierra used to always have the best line up, but I think they are starting to get outdone by other festivals so they have trouble competing....
I would like to see more jam rock bands, than "jam grass" though.
Umphrey's was sick last year, where's The Meltones?.
and can High Sierra bring back Michael?

paulygparty Fri 3/16/2007 12:27PM

Y'all have fun.

But don't get arrested...

Quincy cops suck, Quincy cops suck!!!

mhc10 Fri 3/16/2007 12:41PM

FESTVIALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!
Salmon back together. Fuck yeah!!!!!!
Slamgrass is back!!!!!!!!!!

elRodNino starstarstarstarstar Fri 3/16/2007 12:43PM
jjeep91 starstarstarstar Fri 3/16/2007 01:15PM

jjeep91

now people don't forget that this is the initial lineup...there are going to be more to come!

Luthur starstarstarstarstar Fri 3/16/2007 01:34PM

jjeep91 = Exactly! I never understand why people get so bent out of shape on an intial lineup release. Initial... First... More to come.

Flyingbird73 Fri 3/16/2007 02:26PM

Flyingbird73

As per usual, I find myself simply finding that SuperDee has it dead-to-rights yet again. Attend if you like, stay away if you don't like, who cares enough to argue about it? Live life and enjoy. H'Sierra always = good times.

tate79 starstarstarstar Fri 3/16/2007 03:34PM

I don't understand all the hostility towards cheese. They have never tried to pass themselves off as a all bluegrass band and if they were a all bluegrass band I wouldn't see them nearly as much as i do. I like bluegrass but I love the fact that they are the jack of all trades, its what makes me want to continue to see them. They pull off so many different styles of music. thats what makes them so special and interesting. As a musician myself it something that I strive for, to be able to play as many different styles and to make as many different sounds as i can. Why would someone want to limit themselves, variety is what makes all the musicians better. If you only want to listen to traditional bluegrass then spend the rest of your life listening to Del McCoury,Earl Scruggs & ricky skaggs in your one dimensional world. I'll be getting down to all styles of music. Oh and i guarantee if you asked earl scruggs or leftover salmon what they thought of sci, they would tell you they are great musicians. They've all played with each other.
Wish i could be there, it looks like a good time.

ers7 starstarstarstarstar Fri 3/16/2007 04:48PM

Hell Yeah!! I'm so there, hopefully they add STS9, moe, umph, bisco, lotus, MMW,any one or all of those would, so far looks really good, See yall there!! WOOHOO

ers7 starstarstarstarstar Fri 3/16/2007 04:51PM

Hey Forrest Reda, If you're out there and happen to read this, drop me a line if yer heading out to high sierra (or any other festies for that matter) Peace

dharmabm Fri 3/16/2007 06:34PM

dharmabm

no disrespect to the grandaddy of festivals (i've been going since the ol' bear valley days),but HSMF no longer has the pull of the bigger newbie fests...ticket prices keep goin' up and the talent pool keeps gettin' fluffed up with b-grade filler...where's medeski martin and wood,sts9,greyboy allstars,any kimock project,any skerik/mike dillon project,govt. mule,jfjo,hamsa lila,scofield,jon butler trio,garaj mahal,the slip,any j.vidacovich project,how bout bobby/phil/a planet drum...whatever....i'm just kinda gettin' bored with pickin'...if i wanted pickin' i'd go to a bluegrass fest...

bluefox starstarstarstar Fri 3/16/2007 10:36PM

bluefox

I have to agree with dharmabm somewhat. I know it is just the initial line-up but I would like to see The Slip, Garaj (though I would even take FHG), JFJO in particular. I could also go for Keller, The Duo, My Morning Jacket, Honkytonk Homeslice, Kyle Hollingsworth and Jessica Lurie as well as bigger acts like Kimock, Mule, Frisell, Gordon & Kottke, Steve Winwood etc. I don't know if that Trey rumor is for real but that would be a hit out of the park in my book. The lineup is a little bluegrass heavy but people were complaining last year about the lack of grass and I'm happy to see the return of Leftover! I'm sure we'll get some more good acts added, regardless it is the best festival in most ways even with oppressive law enforcement. I'll be there for sure but am hoping for some more heavy hitters. It would be The Slip's 10th time if they played and Surprise Me Mr. Davis would be most excellent.

lotusfuckinrocks Sat 3/17/2007 12:04AM

lotusfuckinrocks

langerado was a most excellent fest! like to see u there blue.

lotusfuckinrocks Sat 3/17/2007 12:11AM

lotusfuckinrocks

incidents happen cheese! in ur face!

chrisberry Sat 3/17/2007 07:03AM

chrisberry

I'm lovin the line up so far... Cops are ass holes everywhere you go, I have land about 30min. away from quincy, so I usually camp there. Love to see some Ween maybe STS9 or particle, Has anyone ever seen Man Man. Anyway the late show's are usually really jumpin

chrisberry Sat 3/17/2007 07:04AM

chrisberry

happydestiny starstarstarstarstar Sat 3/17/2007 12:08PM

happydestiny

jerryil--- I totally agree give me some railroad earth!
chrisberry--- late nite particle would seal the deal for me

can't wait to see ya'll at highsierra
peace

totalot Sat 3/17/2007 12:16PM

Could not agree with Easy Jim more! I really hope HS brings back Delta Nove and Alfred Howard and the K23 Orchestra. They are on Wakarusa, Dogstock and others out east....I will buy my ticket tomorrow but bring these groups back....Pretty please....

Sizlunt starstarstarstarstar Sat 3/17/2007 02:17PM

Sizlunt

I wasn't going to go to this fest because of how the police were last year, but there is too much to attract me there this year. Not gonna complain about what isn't there this year, because I am stoked at what is there this year. Leftover Salmon, very very nice. Lot of good acts this year.

RedHeaven starstarstarstarstar Sat 3/17/2007 02:51PM

RedHeaven

Vaudeville, vaudeville, some of us always have and some of us always will.....(bts 'vaudeville' written for hsmf)
HSMF staff spent tons of time in the fall correcting the cop situation. I have a feeling with all the work they did, things are going to be much brighter on that side of the fence this year. Hence the late line up announcement.
I love that the old school High Sierra vibes are back, with some new touches thrown in for balance. I expect some more rock and electro dance acts to be announced for even more balance.
Salmon Reunion is a Sierra Goers dream come true.
A lot of these small bands are going to blow freaks away. Blue Turtle is one of them.
You pay more for HSMF, but you get more. Might not make sense with the line up not being the biggest acts, but you get space, comfort, easy strolling, and the best late nites this side of jazz fest. I would rather pay a little extra to not have to weed thru crowds and have nice potties and a vibe that makes you feel like your really actually on vacation with everyone there, even all the artists, who freely mingle in the camps, cuz its theri time to be at a festival, too.
Theres still a ton of announcements....Im sure they'll add the rock elements. RRE is my favorite band, but theyve been playing HSMF since 01 so its time for a little breakie. HSMF is surreal, beautiful, wierd, and full of amazing ambiance, people and music, intertwined in a shmorgasbord of different activities and celebrations. Music Hall Madness, Freakin Jamhouse badness....Forever and for always!

Mightyquinn starstar Sat 3/17/2007 03:07PM
shackca star Sat 3/17/2007 04:59PM
shackca star Sat 3/17/2007 05:01PM
Sizlunt starstarstarstarstar Sat 3/17/2007 11:37PM

Sizlunt

Who cares? They also have YMSB and Leftover Salmon. If you don't like grass, there is Bassnectar and others. Who cares what they don't have, for us in Cali, unless there is some kind of major announcement at another fest, this is a very good lineup.

Don't worry about what they don't have, there is nothing to be done about it, the fest is more than worth going to for what they do have.

dharmabm Sun 3/18/2007 12:44PM

dharmabm

1. i find it highly suspect that any post that is critical of hsmf gets squashed or hidden...are the powers that be big-brothering us...
2.as a veteran of hsmf since the bear valley days,i've seen this festival gradually lose its soul vibe and change of demographic focus...this whole exclusionary "VIP" vibe alienates the true music fan who does a lot of shows and can ill afford a $650 price tag....even the $145 early-purchase ticket is a tad exorbitant considering the heavy filler we are getting as far as line-up goes...
2.the vibe at smaller festivals like bobolink impresses me because the promoters put a lot of soul into what they're doing...the town whole-hardedly embraces the festivalgoers...and granted,the line-up pales in comparison to hsmf...BUT,i would truly rather hang with a crew of real music fans groovin' in the woods to garaj mahal and have some deep connections with some truly soulful cats than to get stuck enduring some drunk yuppies with their "VIP" wristbands talking belligerently throughout the entire greyboy allstars set...i'll put my money where my mouth is and boycott hsmf until they can get their act together...with the local police force,with their myopic demographic change,with their desire to make more dough and give us less in return,with their cheesy obsession with this whole "VIP" thing....the grandaddy of festivals has lost touch with their base...the only salvation is that nowadays there are a bazillion other places to get your fix...

mattland Sun 3/18/2007 05:23PM

mattland

^I've never been to HSMF, but I feel the same way about bonnaroo. It started with a bunch of music fans, now it's just a party destination with a few good bands on the side.

playitleo starstarstarstarstar Mon 3/19/2007 12:47AM

playitleo

I have heard that the folks at HighSierra are not making tons of $$ (I hope they are not in debt!), and lots of festies are doin the VIP thing. I hate it myself, but something sort of harmless to add $$ to the pot to make sure the festival survives is Ok with me.
-===========================================-
Can anyone say Leftover Salmon late night?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?
I am super stoked on the Strings of Industry and the Chris Thile/Bryan Sutton band, lots of bluegrass - yes - but there is like 70 other bands playing too.

And the cops better mellow the heck out (there was a regular popular uprising after last year), or the fest is gone forever and that town will tank a bit.

‹^› ‹(•¿•)› ‹^› {¬¿¬} starstarstarstar Mon 3/19/2007 03:36AM
‹^› ‹(•¿•)› ‹^› {¬¿¬} starstarstarstarstar Mon 3/19/2007 03:42AM
cocheese Mon 3/19/2007 06:23AM

cocheese

i love the new thumbs up/down thingy. now all i have to do is look for the ones that are hidden for a good laugh usually, especially on the John Mayer article.

dharmabm Mon 3/19/2007 06:58AM

dharmabm

high sierra...as a wise prophet once said,your ship is slowly sinking....

EVILFUNK Mon 3/19/2007 11:02AM

EVILFUNK

Not a bad lineup at all...Id go if I didnt fear for my safety!

I hear alot these days around town (from people on HSMF's payroll) how the promoter swears that they have spoken with the Sherriff and we are all safe at HSMF '07 but for fucks sake has anyone read Sherriff Bergstand's letter? He is the man responsable for the High Sierra wicthunt. these are HIS words on how safe the fest will be for us...

"we are creating a moble/foot patrol that will provide fewer deputies in the fairgrounds while increasing the patroll around the outside perimeter of the facility. the foot patrol deputies will patrol the main pathways and throughfares entering the camping areas only when nessacary to respond to a situation or to respond to a situation or to proceed from one area of the festival grounds to another in a rapid manner"

...already explaining why they will be in YOUR TENT this year! also indicating a shakedown on the way into and out of the festival... have your licence/proof of insurance/regestration ready, people!

"while we respect the celebetroy nature of the festival, we have a continuing duty to ensure the saftey and health of festival patrons. Failure to do so places the Sherriff's Department at risk of civil liability."

so bassically what im hearing here is a jusitfication for harassment...how about you folks?

...read the sherriffs letter for yourselves...

I like lotdogs post - "My civil rights have been compromised while at this festival, should I miss what would be year 7 for me ? oh!!! and be sure to pick up one of the local vendors shirts while you are there, its great.. "go to Quincy on Vacation.. Leave on Probation"..!!! :) I love this festival too, as well as my freedom."

playitleo Mon 3/19/2007 11:33AM

playitleo

Your Freedom? Where the heck are we truly free in this country? I've been searched illegally, and I fought it, and I lost. It sucks - yes. My freedoms have been violated all over this land. I can guarantee you there will be a helluva lot less illegal stuff from the cops this year. They are gonna have to have some very good reasons to hassle people this year.

Quincy cops suck, yes, but if you are smart, you wont be hassled one bit. The CHP has a knack for pullin over vehicles with expired tags, missing lights, etc.... Just make sure your vehicle looks legal, and you will be fine on the way in. And the sheriffs themselves will have citizens along with them, and they will not be going in your tent, unless they actively see you hiding drugs for sale or weapons, etc.... Be smart, dont come to sell your wares, come for the party, dont puff in their face, and you will be fine.

I completely understand all the folks who have had to deal with the insanity over the past couple of years, but I really think it will be different this year, and I 99% doubt they will be searchin anybody's tent unless you give them a very good reason for doing it.

Getting popped anywhere sucks, especially when you are on vacation, and it has everything to do with our federal and state prohibition laws, thats it. Period.

Even though last year seemed bad, there were less arrests than in previous years, something like 50 or so out of 7000 folks. IF you really really cannot stand the police situation, you might only want to go to festivals and concerts on private land, but these are becoming very few and far between. Good luck!

High Sierra still has the best vibe on the west coast, and the music is just insane. It is a music-lovers paradise.

Dlta9 Mon 3/19/2007 11:58AM

What happen to Moonboot Lover?

I love you Peter Prince

androckguitar starstarstar Mon 3/19/2007 05:55PM

androckguitar

what's up with some comments that you have to click on "show" to see...

yeah, i would like some more electric rocking music to give more variety.

New Monsoon is another band that would be cool to have

bear22 star Mon 3/19/2007 05:58PM
BubbbleHouse Mon 3/19/2007 07:18PM

yeah....ehh

claypool,galactic, soulive HELLS YES

- Lets see some DELTA NOVE PARTICLE The SLIP AND PLEASE ADD MEDESKI MARTIN AND WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!!!!!!!!

- fuck small town cops...... i mean they dont shoot you off the bat like they do here in LA but.....

DrEricFautstein starstarstarstar Mon 3/19/2007 10:35PM

DrEricFautstein

i cant believe nobody has said anything about Bobby Previte's Coalition of the willing (with Reed Mathis and Charlie Hunter). These guys are sick. Wish i could make it to this fest just for that show alone. They need Skerik to come to this fest, along with Mike Dillon and itll be set.

Cali has Los, some Bluegrass and Jamie Janover while Kansas (waka and Dogstock) have Ozric Tentacles, Everyone Orchestra, RAQ, Pnuma, Jacob Fred Jazz Odyssey (Dogstock) and more of the good ones here at high sierra.

Waka has a pretty serious lineup, it really does

DrEricFautstein starstarstarstar Mon 3/19/2007 10:36PM

DrEricFautstein

not to mention Medeski Martin and Wood!

dubminded starstarstar Tue 3/20/2007 08:08AM
rossco8 starstar Tue 3/20/2007 11:23AM

Went last year for the first time and was thoroughly unimpressed with it after jambase incessantly hypes it up to stratospheric levels year in and year out. “You pay more, but you get more,” seemed to be the theme that everyone was stressing. Definitely noticed the pay more. Yeah the restrooms are cleaner, but I’m surprised they don’t charge you to use them. It’s like camps were trying to outdo each other in an exclusionary fashion and “VIP” was everywhere. If you factor in the four late-nite sets the overall base price is right around $250 for a line-up that couldn’t hold a candle to many other festies this day in age. But hey, “Don’t forget about those bathrooms and non-competitive kids relay races on the big meadow.” Factor in overwhelming police presence and a locale that is not that pleasant (it isn’t the green hills of coastal northern cali, rather arid highlands next to a massive lumber yard constantly spewing toxins into the sky) and I long for the days of Berkfest with better line-ups, FREE RAGING LATE-NITE, lush woodlands and no police officers in sight. I felt like a fat rat in a cheese factory with no cats around.

moogot2 Tue 3/20/2007 09:06PM

theres still a ton more that will be announced

Simz star Wed 3/21/2007 08:42AM

To those telling people if you are smart you wont get arrested: This is not true. I have never seen a festival where a SWAT van is positioned and the police use night vision goggles. BOYCOT QUINCY

playitleo Wed 3/21/2007 11:59AM

playitleo

No SWAT van this year folks. Things have changed (hopefully!!) http://www.jambase.com/headsup.asp?storyID=9508 "Major points of his commitment include a citizen Walk-Along program, fewer patrols, moving law enforcement headquarters off-site, removal of the SWAT vehicle, officers staying on main pathways, and daily briefings with us in order to immediately address any issues. We will continue to work with the Sheriff and county in the months leading up to the festival to make sure implementation is meeting our expectations."
And sorry to Rossco8 who didnt think it was worth it (it has gotten more expensive in the past few years, but you dont have to pay for all the late nights, there are free shows that go to 1:30am, and some of the late nights are only $12-14, while others will be around $20. I usually go to like 2 paid late nights, which would put my total High Sierra expense to about $180 this year, I bought early bird tix). I used to go exclusively for the music, but I am kind of entranced with all the little tribes, parades, workshops, late nights, fire dancing, ease of movement between stages, etc... I always want better lineups from this fest, but its a trade-off between being with 6000-8000 folks and lesser known bands and 15000-75000 folks with all the known bands. High Sierra should be experienced! But thats my Opinion, and I have never been to Bonnaroo, Waka, or 10Klakes.

If you are west coast based, and its easy to get to, I wouldnt miss it for anything.

jarball starstarstarstarstar Wed 3/21/2007 01:02PM

this festival wouldnt be a festival without Blue Turtle Seduction,THEY KICK ASS.

Simz starstar Wed 3/21/2007 01:33PM

Just to be fair, even though I got arrested within 4 hours of arriving to High Sierra (because my camp-mate was cleaning a pipe), it was one of the nicest experieces after I got out of jail. Best vibe at any festival I've ever been to (which is quite a few) and I really hope quincy police can keep their dicks in their pants this year.

BlowsAgainsttheEmpire starstarstar Thu 3/22/2007 10:20AM

BlowsAgainsttheEmpire

Know your rights>

http://www.aclunc.org/ northern california

VAteonanacatl Thu 3/22/2007 10:22AM

VAteonanacatl

sketch

EVILFUNK star Thu 3/22/2007 01:25PM

EVILFUNK

dannyk - i have been searched illegally, arrested, advised by my public defender to take a plea bargain and at that point took the case into my own hands by insisting that the public defender draft a motion to dismiss the case. than i stood in the judges face and insisted that i had been illegally searched based on the idea that im hairy and colorfully dressed and that cops breaking laws in order to make an arrest is disrespecting the constitution and that is wrong to do so...the case was dropped. why was it dropped? I was in a conservitive but inteligent part of the country. nobody could argue with this highschool dropout about his rights or they would have. those people were conservitive but they still respected the laws of the land and all they stood for. i dont think i would have gotten this far in a court in Quinzy...the cops, judges and locals obviously feel like a good search is a search that leads to an arrest - "what do you mean we have a bad search here, hippy...we found dope on you" seems to be an attitude that a majority of the community in Quinzy (cops, judges and enough of the locals) are bringing into this situation. this is the problem....the establishment in quinzy is crooked! they dont respect us or our civil liberties! why on earth would hippies ever trust this community especially when Sherriff Bergstands lletter leaves lots of room for bullshit on his end. read it and see!

as for police entering tents - i heard a story about a cop at HSMF approaching a campers tent and informing him that he was going to be searched because the cops flashlight was shining through the mans tent and caught the reflection of the water of his waterpipe. i was also told that the waterpipe was not in plain view but stashed between camping equipment and the wall of the tent. so...there the police were...in his tent! thats what im talking about.

i really feel like the words of a long time attendee of this festival sum this situation up verry well so i will reprint lot dawgs post>

Lot Dawg :: 3/16/2007 10:27 AM

THAKNS AGAIN LOT DOG! YOU NAILED IT!

playitleo Fri 3/23/2007 02:27PM

playitleo

I totally hear ya'll, but most of these issues have been addressed. I dont know why you have to go back to stale issues here? yes High sierra HAS MADE A STATEMENT!! I'm not gonna repeat anything Ive said, just read through my above posts, go to the High Sierra message board, etc... I myself have been searched illegally!! But I sincerely hope NO illegal searches will be happenin this year, or the town AND the festival will be in big trouble. Period.

Now lets get back to Festival talk for all those who ARE excited for the fest. FESTIVALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!

EVILFUNK Fri 3/23/2007 07:58PM

EVILFUNK

our freedom is a stale issue?

BlowsAgainsttheEmpire starstarstar Mon 3/26/2007 06:25AM

BlowsAgainsttheEmpire

I don't think that our freedoms are a stale issue.

Way to go EVILFUNK for not rolling over and standing up for your rights.

utesweets Mon 3/26/2007 03:16PM

don't the cops have something better to do?there's so much 'real' crime out there...I'm speechless.

and ROSSCO8 you should stick with watching american idol!!
everyone has a different taste so there's a festival out there for you.some of you like some line-ups better than others,it's ok, just don't diss'em. ME.. i like them all!!!

BlowsAgainsttheEmpire Tue 3/27/2007 06:28AM

BlowsAgainsttheEmpire

California is one of the states that takes DNA from people arrested for a crime but not yet convicted of a crime. And can keep DNA records even if arrestees are cleared of all charges. Enactment of the DNA Fingerprinting Act allows CA to begin uploading profiles into the national database. California arrestees who are acquitted must request that their samples and profiles be removed from labs and databases. Usually, those acquitted must provide written notification, sometimes including a certified court order, to have the records destroyed.

BoboJeffie starstarstarstarstar Tue 3/27/2007 06:50PM

Cops have a choice: Play Fair or HSMF is out of Dodge.
They DONT want HSMF to change locations. This action should of taken place a few years ago, HSMf has threatened that they will indeed leave if the law enforcement doesnt play fair this year. In my years and years of attending HSMF, I have confidence that this year is going to be different than the last couple in that dept. Ive done what I wanted to at HSMF and never had issues, but I understand the issues others have had that puts a damper on things. They are up against the wall this year, the Quincy law officials, and if they dont play nice then HSMF will leave. Qunicy cannot lose that revenue.

OK, that aside, if you love festival spirit and intimate crowds, tons of hot chicks, and creativity, you will love this place. People are very polite and lots of fun. People help one another at HSMF.....cuz theres room to do that. Thats the HS vibe everyone talks about. Maybe thats NOT your thing....maybe bigger is better for you....maybe you dont really care about the patrons, you just wanna have your music experience, and thats great....but if you love more than that, if you love community, being treated like royalty (aside from the issues that will be resolved) and you love discovering the "big" bands before they get big, innovation and spirit, you will love this festival.
Remember, a lot of bands that are now big, used to play HSMF in the day. HSMF has a KEEN sense of what is up and coming. Its for the folk with those futuristic visions.
You pay less at Bonnaroo because there are thousands more people attending. Even Waka and 10K has a larger audience by far. You get tons for your buck at HSMF, because the crowds are extremely easy to deal with, the lines arent long, and the extra attention the musicians have to details are priceless.
The HSMF staff cares about what goes on....they learned a huge lesson last year and put their feet down, and are demanding that their order is followed by the law.

Ive been to many a festival and this one beats them all. Leftover Salmon late nite = INSANITY. These late nites are the REAL DEAL....no washed away spunion post party crappers. The feeling is high, hence the name, the family is wonderful, the people, all ages, you cant get a better crew anywhere inthe country IMO. If the line up doesnt satisfy you, then your loss.....theres plenty to do out there.....

cavemandan Wed 3/28/2007 03:54PM
dubminded Fri 3/30/2007 11:36AM

yeahhh...bisco late night...sounds like there are a bunch of great acts that i've yet to hear or see. fact of the matter is driving from the dirty jerz AGAIN to see a few new acts...not happening...10k lakes or bust.

bsclowds Fri 3/30/2007 11:46AM

this is the announcement that i've been waiting for

HOPEFULPHAN star Fri 3/30/2007 11:47AM

not to rip em but i just dont get all the fuss about the slip. i saw them the night before thanksgiving in minneapolis, and they were good but it wasnt great. i just dont get what everyone else is hearing that im not.

jerryil starstarstarstarstar Fri 3/30/2007 11:48AM

jerryil

HSMF is not about the number of attendees. It's not even about getting the "best" big name acts out there. It's about exposing you to new music. And it is about FAMILY. I will take a sweet family reunion over a trip to the amusment park anyday. Not to take anything away from the bigger festivals, they are fun in their own right. But.... every year I come away from High Sierra a better person. Not a more wasted person, a better person. Besides, if the festival got out of hand in numbers, I wouldn't be able to take my daily (oh so refreshing) shower without missing a ton of music.

Gothood42 Fri 3/30/2007 02:01PM
Phrench starstarstarstarstar Fri 3/30/2007 03:00PM

Reeble Jar!!! Man thats sweet!!!!!

blower starstarstarstarstar Fri 3/30/2007 03:12PM

Getting up to speed now! Yee Haww!!

The cops are really not any worse than any were else. Actually better, than in most states. It is all pespective. In CA we rarely get hassled for petty crap so when it happens its a big deal. I grew up in MN and partied in Detroit Lakes long before the 10 LK Fest and the cops are no different there then in Quincy, probably worse on any given night.

Anyone that thinks they can go party with thousands of hippies in the midwest or anywhere else in the country and have less cop activity than in Northern CA is mistaken. It is just that in Cali at most fests thare are virtually no cops and anything goes. Northern CA is the most hippy freindly place in the country.

sumer Fri 3/30/2007 03:47PM

One word...Yonder. Look no further my friends it's all here!

badfish420 Fri 3/30/2007 08:55PM
boxofrain starstarstarstarstar Sat 3/31/2007 01:55PM

Bisco is the TITS!!!!!

wenzit420 starstarstarstar Sat 3/31/2007 08:51PM

wenzit420

I might be going now, biscuits under the stars in NorCali I might have to do this... BTW Salmon RULEZZZZ

EVILFUNK starstarstar Mon 4/2/2007 10:56AM

EVILFUNK

ok, ok, ok...danny k >

Im not trying to say that this is not an awesome lineup - IT IS!!...there are only a few bands i dont like on the whole lineup...that aint bad at all if you ask me. id pay to see this lineup any time...that is any time I WONT BE IN A POLICE STATE!....or if i become a wharf rat...i think the HSMF would be a great place for anyone who is into 12 step programs. sound off HSMF supporters > who is in a 12 step program?

BoboJeffie Mon 4/2/2007 08:28PM

Some believe that the forces of evil will back off this year. I am in firm belief that they will back off tremedously. See my above post as to why. The promoters took a LOT of time to correct the situation last fall. Countless meetings. I have never seen promoters dilligently work so hard to correct an issue before. The took it seriously and arent going to "wing it" this year.

Some dont believe that the police will never back off and will therefore complain endlessly. Chill, take the year off HSMF, and listen for reports back as to how it is this year, and then decide next year if you wanna go or not.

Until then, just go to other festivals. Breathe, dammit! ;-)

carlt Tue 4/3/2007 11:35AM

Kid Beyond would be perfect for this ... he performed all 3 days at Earthdance last year and did an education clinic...dude rox...

BubbbleHouse Tue 4/3/2007 09:30PM

i dont know dude..... ive been debating on going to this fest even thought its 9 hrs drive from LA, but w/ all this cop shit its not looking good.....

Im not driving 9 hrs to be hassled

spacephunkmdma starstarstarstarstar Wed 4/4/2007 09:44AM
JDBLA Wed 4/4/2007 03:49PM

JDBLA

Say what you will about past years fests and high ticket prices (believe me they are having to pay more to put on this fest) cops, amature festivarians , etc, but this is a must see festival. Keep in mind how good we have it at HSMF. When it rains at Bonnaroo or 10K Lakes its a mud fest and forget about the long ass lines folks are queued in just to enter said festivals. Even at the main stage it feels small and intimate compared to other mega-festivals. If HSMF were to grow to that size, and we know it could, we would not be treated as well as we are...despite the cops.
But I have to agree with dharmabm, where is Kimock and Garaj Mahal?

BoboJeffie Wed 4/4/2007 09:33PM

bubblehouse, just get over it and go. If youre just careful, the experience will speak for itself and make you happy to of made the trek. Its worth keeping your wits. Quincy wants us back and they have nothing to do but show it. The treasures are priceless and worth every effort IMO

totalot Wed 4/4/2007 11:10PM

HSMF where are my socal bands? Give Delta Nove and Alfred Howard and the K23 some love.....its time to bring them back and shake up the joint!

dharmabm Thu 4/5/2007 09:05PM
bluefox starstarstarstarstar Fri 4/6/2007 09:40PM

bluefox

The thing is that we live in a police state. Parts of the country are worse than others but all in all illegal drugs are illegal and I don't really see how you can blame High Sierra for that. They seem to be trying to make the situation better and truly care about the music and their fans.

And Hopefulphan - give The Slip another chance, they are probably my favorite band at the moment. Hopefully they will come to High Sierra this year again because they are always a highlight of the festival and generally rise to spectacular occasions like High Sierra. They do have off nights though, it is hard to hit the magic every night.

Right now if I could add three bands to the lineup it would be The Slip, SMMD, and Garaj Mahal.

bsclowds Mon 4/16/2007 12:49PM

Oh yeah the slip and Zilla

Jamie Janover has been wanting to get Zilla at this fest for years...it'll be amazing

mattland Mon 4/16/2007 07:26PM

mattland

East Coast fests are better.

‹^› ‹(•¿•)› ‹^› {¬¿¬} starstarstarstar Tue 4/17/2007 04:28AM

the budos band.. play old school funk.. do not miss them!!!!

chasetc20 starstarstarstarstar Tue 4/17/2007 05:24AM

Holy shit what a sick lineup to bad it sucks that im directly on the opp coast haha but what a sick lineup and lineup addition i think i may have to make that journey after all

jerryil Tue 4/17/2007 08:38AM
blower starstarstarstar Tue 4/17/2007 09:07AM

"East Coast fests are better"- Hahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!! Nice try

feets Tue 4/17/2007 09:55AM

feets

yeah, why no Delta Nove???

strangedesign starstarstarstarstar Tue 4/17/2007 12:07PM

Hi! I have two extras: 4 day festival tix w/ camping for only 125$ Thats less than what i payed at the early EARLY bird price. email me ... strangedesign03@yahoo.com
peace

LusciousLovelyLiquid starstarstarstarstar Tue 4/17/2007 02:20PM

LusciousLovelyLiquid

Huh, I guess it takes all kinds...I for one am STOKED on the lineup, especially how many kickass pickers & acoustic acts there are. I'm daydreaming right now about all the playshop possibilities. Seems like electronica has taken over the world, I'm glad one festival is resisting and keeping it balanced. Some electronica, some bluegrass, some world beat, some rock, some americana, etc. Count me in!

mrsean420 Wed 4/18/2007 09:07AM

ZILLA!!

cavemandan Fri 4/27/2007 04:29PM

WHAT 1 WEST COAST FESTY A YEAR VS SO MANY EAST COAST?... NOT EVEN ABLE TO COMPARE MARVS MOUNTAIN TOP, BONAROO, GOTV, CAMP BISCO, SUNSHINE DAYDREAMS, NELSONS LEDGE, LANGERANDO, ETC ETC... VS 1 HIGH SIERRA FEST AND WHAT ELSE? DAMN I AM DRAWING A BLANK

shackdude star Fri 5/4/2007 09:51PM

LINEUP SUCKS COMPARED TO ALL GOOD FEST, JAM CRUISE, 10K LAKES, GRATEFUL FEST, JAM IN DAM 2007, LANGERADO, WAKA, WANEE, VEGOOSE, BONAROO, ON AND ON. SAD FOR WEST COASTERS - THIS FEST HAD MAJOR LETDOWN IN 2006 COMPARED TO 2005, ANNOUNCES ARTISTS WAY LATE - GOING DOWNHILL, SAVE YOUR $$ FOR 10k LAKES FEST AND GRATEFUL FEST (SAME WEEKEND - KIMOCK, DSO, GREYBOYS, UMPH ON AND ON)

RedHeaven Tue 5/8/2007 12:10AM

RedHeaven

Dont let the door hit you in the ass! High Sierra is great because it deters testy schlockers like you to attend. Your un-eclectic narrow minded views is definitely not what makes HSMF thrive and continue to be one of the most moving festival experiences you could have. Go enjoy your beefsteak festivals, because you wont be missed. West coast is luckier than ever. If youre not feeling it then dont go, and stop trying to make HSMF something that its not.
High Sierra is one of a kind.

blower starstarstarstar Fri 5/18/2007 03:46PM

Shack versus RedHeaven in the Festival Goer Cage Match. Shack the anti-HSMF in all Caps and Red the die hard HSMF pro eclectic warrior in the South Park Costume going at it toe to toe in the WWW. Who will win?

To witness the outcome of their endless battles, simply go to the HSMF website. The battle has raged for months. WOW the persistence is impressive!!!

Seriously, Why do you care so much that you would post the same crap over and over for months? You must be really bored.

acomma Fri 5/18/2007 04:16PM

acomma

Sickest festival of the season, hands down. Just wish I wasn't a good thousand miles away from Cali.

jasonthehead starstarstarstarstar Fri 5/18/2007 04:52PM

jasonthehead

shack don't know jack....red rules

roberto767 Fri 5/18/2007 08:51PM

roberto767

I heard that Trey is goin to play clarinet in Page's new band.

playitleo Fri 5/18/2007 09:22PM
RedHeaven starstarstarstarstar Sat 5/19/2007 01:16PM

RedHeaven

hahahaha nice one! Truthfully, I like Shack! Our debate has been going on for months....we do it cuz were passionate about music, in the end.....not a question of boredom, but a question of what we like to discuss. I agree its redundant, but at least the passion lives, for both Shack and I! See you in the ring, Shack attack!
"and if I seem to think that maybe I forget, the shadow of mediocrity always leads to the sea or the mountains...and I say HELL YEAH!" ~blue turtle

Dwizard Sat 5/19/2007 09:39PM

I missed it last year but '05 there were no cops. The venue in Quincy was fantastic. The locals were very "Kind" and the music was off the hook. If ya get a chance hit this one up. I only wish I weren't two days drive away.

Flat5 Sun 5/20/2007 05:58PM

Flat5

i want to listen to a dude playing a laptop. anyone playing a laptop at this festie?

chicoavenue Mon 5/21/2007 01:33PM

thanks for the funny jerry springer back & forth HSMF vs other festivals...i always get a laugh. anyhow, just wanted to say how stoked I am about papa mali sunday gospel (do i hear henry butler in the background?!!) and for those of you yet to see salvador santana, get ready to boogie. positive vibe, reminiscent of franti with a latin jazz infusion. i just recently saw him in chico, he plays keyboards etc & in the band he has 2 other singers (one who plays horns & another on the piano/organ).

HOPEFULPHAN starstarstarstarstar Tue 5/22/2007 02:22PM

page needs to play 10klf!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!