GREYBOY TOUR & ALBUM

FEATURES CORE GROUP OF ROBERT WALTER, ELGIN PARK
KARL DENSON, CHRIS STILLWELL AND ZAK NAJOR
AND SPECIAL GUESTS INCLUDING
INARA GEORGE AND THE LIVING SISTERS

NORTH AMERICAN TOUR BEGINS MARCH 9

Greyboy Allstars
When Greyboy Allstars first formed almost 15 years ago, some of the West Coast's visionary young musicians came together to realize the unique artistic vision of rare groove luminary DJ Greyboy: an original sound reminiscent of '70s soundtrack music. It not only was acclaimed at the time, but also proved seminal: Echoes of it can be heard in the work of countless bands since, and each member of the group went on to achieve success as solo artists and in other collaborations. What Happened to TV?, the Greyboy Allstars' first studio album in a decade, finds the group reunited with DJ Greyboy, whose role as producer marks his first collaboration with the band since their 1995 breakthrough, West Coast Boogaloo. The new album will be released April 17 by Knowledge Room Recordings.

Ironically, the Greyboy Allstars' success together served as a platform for the group's members to launch highly successful, substantially diverse—and all different from the Greyboy Allstars sound—solo careers; and the further immersed they became in their individual undertakings, the harder it became to bring everyone together to record and/or tour as The Greyboy Allstars. Hammond organist and keyboardist Robert Walter has recorded and toured with everyone from the Headhunters to downtown NYC avant rocker Bobby Previte. After the Greyboy Allstars scored the film Zero Effect, guitarist/composer/ Elgin Park (aka Michael Andrews) continued to write for the screen, scoring such critically praised films Donnie Darko and Me and You & Everyone We Know, as well as the underground TV hit Freaks and Geeks. He has also produced recordings by Metric, Brendan Benson, Inara George and Gary Jules, whose Andrews-produced cover of "Mad World" reached #1 on the U.K. charts. Horn player Karl Denson became leader of one of the top live touring bands, Karl Denson's Tiny Universe. Bassist Chris Stillwell and drummer Zak Najor are one of the most sought after rhythm sections in any genre.

An emphasis upon emerging West Coast artists is still essential to the Greyboy Allstars sound. In addition to singing backup on "Still Waiting," indie starlet Inara George is part of the vocal trio The Living Sisters (Eleni Mandell, Becky Stark and George) on the album's first single, "How Glad I Am," a song previously interpreted by the likes of Nancy Wilson, Aretha Franklin, Sandie Shaw and Brenda Lee. This memorable cover aside, the album features songs written by all of the group's members. DJ Greyboy helped the Allstars with the album's production and also performs on "Old School Cylons."

In addition to recording the new album together, The Greyboy Allstars will embark on an equally rare tour of North America on March 9.

The Greyboy Allstars' last studio release was A Town Called Earth (1997), which earned substantial critical praise. In a 4.5-star review, Allmusic Guide said the Greyboy Allstars "remind us of the vitality of live funk in an era dominated by pre-packaged samples." That same year saw the release of the album Live.

Greyboy Allstars Tour Dates
04.21 Portland, OR | Roseland Theater
05.04 New Orleans, LA | Riverboat Cajun Queen
05.05 New Orleans, LA | Tipitina's Uptown
05.12 New York, NY | Highline Ballroom
05.13 New York, NY | Highline Ballroom

[Published on: 3/13/07]

Comments

‹^› ‹(•¿•)› ‹^› {¬¿¬} starstarstarstarstar Tue 3/13/2007 12:27PM

Its absolute GOLD!!!!! excellent cd!!! and incredible band!! peas you all..

livin_grateful starstarstarstarstar Tue 3/13/2007 12:35PM

all i have to say look out for 04/13-14/2007!

pinkfloydfan420 Tue 3/13/2007 12:47PM

pinkfloydfan420

(Greyboy + MMW) * 2 = Niiiice

shackca starstarstarstarstar Tue 3/13/2007 12:52PM

shackca

Greyboys RULE!!!!!

Bylimb Tue 3/13/2007 12:55PM
mountainjam75 Tue 3/13/2007 01:18PM

Bylimb.. I'm not sure what your talking about. First off, his name is Karl not Carl. I have been seeing him for over ten years now. I have seen him with numerous jambands and at numerous jamband festivals. I have hung out with him on many occasions over the past decade and he never expressed any dislike of hippies. I guess your friends experience must be a rarity. Have a good one.

pejay115 starstarstar Tue 3/13/2007 01:26PM

pejay115

come on show some love for NYC!

Bylimb Tue 3/13/2007 01:26PM
jhrt3349 Tue 3/13/2007 01:43PM

jhrt3349

pejay, greyboy is coming thru NYC on may 12+13 at the highline

danpfunk Tue 3/13/2007 02:01PM

I too have been seeing Karl for almost 10 years, and had the chance to talk to the guy many times. He couldn't be nicer or more cordial IMO when he is approached by fans.

If this quote from limb is accurate, I wouldn't take it that he hates hippies. I read that as Karl not considering his music hippie-jam band music per sa, but more Boogaloo, Soul, Funk, R&B, and Jazz, which he calls him self. Nothing wrong with wanting to not be pigeon holed.

Personally I think he is right, he is not a hippie-jam band.

bluenotez starstarstarstarstar Tue 3/13/2007 02:18PM

bluenotez

two nights with MMW? prime booty-shaking events people.

DeadKennyG Tue 3/13/2007 02:26PM

Come to Austin pleeeassseee. God that co-bill with Medeski will be SICK!!

Maestro starstarstar Tue 3/13/2007 02:48PM

Maestro

I was introduced to these guys around two years after trying to keep up with Denson. Anything that guy touches seems to turn to gold so I tuned in. I was floored, this guys are producing some seriously sick sound.

My first time seeing them was last summer at Narcarusa. The overall vibe was good, but they really didn't blow me away or anything. I had heard much better sets then the ones I witnessed. Non the less I can't wait to see them again.

My question to all GB fans: Does anyone else out there think that Elgin sucks? His voice is shit, and completely fucks this sound to me. Anyone agree? Whatever song he sung both nights that I believe he wrote BLEW!!!

Is KDTU ever getting back together?

moephishH2O starstarstarstarstar Tue 3/13/2007 04:13PM

moephishH2O

sweet! The boys play Eugene on the release date! and Yonder is the next night!

Bylimb Tue 3/13/2007 06:02PM

Bylimb

I need to tell the whole story, think what you want..We were the opening band, setting up our liquid light projector, as I stated above. He comes over and was like " What's this?" We told him it what it was, and he said "Take it down, I'm not playing with that thing up there". We told him we were taking it down after our set.
He said"Take it down or I'm not playing!" I aint no hippie jamband!" And we were like "Niether are we, what just because we have a liquid light projector, that makes us"hippie jamband",what exactly are you saying? Miles Davis used one, The Doors used one, what does a light projector have to do with being a hippie jamband?" Then the fact that we were getting testy and didn't give "oh yes sir, right away sir!" he stated "If that goes up, I'm not taking the stage, simple as that!" We complied.

Leatherface starstarstarstarstar Tue 3/13/2007 06:09PM

No Diego? Wow what a bummer.

blower starstarstar Tue 3/13/2007 06:12PM

April 9th and 10th in North Lake Tahoe CA for those interested.

blower starstarstarstar Tue 3/13/2007 06:24PM

I have seen Karl D. hanging at High Sierra. Seemed pretty content to hang with hippies. But musicians are egomaniacs and can be assholes at times. If it was his gig and did not want the light its his call.

The Greyboy Allstars were tight and soulful when I saw them and that is about it. Cool to see them switching instruments. I kinda thought they were boring and repititous with very little melody. Maybe even noodley. Similiar to the stereo type often given to hippy jambands. But then again I had just seen like 100 bands in two days prior so I was tainted. Very accomlished musicians worthe seeing, but I am going to pass on this tour unless I get the free hook.

fattyseth starstarstarstarstar Tue 3/13/2007 08:31PM

Greyboy is the sickist group around. I might have to take a road trip

jencat star Tue 3/13/2007 08:58PM

i'd like to think jambase would proofread and make sure their articles are acurate. all i'm saying, is if you can update the band photo, then make sure to update the band lineup (in the article). i'm sure we won't be seeing zak najor this tour.

danpfunk Tue 3/13/2007 09:16PM

Zak was not at NYE or Langerado, even though some know it all kid tried to tell me that was him with grown out hair. Not even sure why he is on the website anymore, he also got booted from KDTU once upon a time.

limb, I don't doubt your experience at all, but mine has been only good with KD, of course I have not opened up for him. But, where and when I have seen him he has been nothing but kind to all, including plenty of "hippies" and even some agressive fans.

As for the liquid light thing, that is surprising, because I have seen lots of shows where his lights are as tripped out as they get, like Bonnaroo #1 latenight. But like blower said, musicians can be assholes I guess.

Personally, I really like Greyboy, and did before I fell in love with Galactic or MMW or KDTU or Soulive or any other jazzy funky kind of sound out there. But I find their shows very composed, and very similar from one version to the other. Still great but not the variety I sometimes want, but its basically a literal Allstar band (I think Mike Andrews is great).

By nature KDTU is more improvisational, and I prefer that. But its hard to hate on the groove that GBA lays down every single time out.

pabloescobar starstarstarstar Wed 3/14/2007 05:33AM

ohhh yeah, this tour should bring out all the hotties with their low moral standards for us to see. anyone feel like getting a couple 8 balls & finding some impressionable 19 year old sluts to do them with.

jf7 Wed 3/14/2007 06:28AM
digggy Wed 3/14/2007 07:24AM
craikes13 starstarstarstarstar Wed 3/14/2007 10:27AM

craikes13

Nothing about the "whole story" changes the fact that he didn't say "i hate hippies" to your friend. Obviously, he was stating that HE wasn't a hippy jamband. moving along...............

The new drummer is Eric Kalb from DBB. He is sweet, but I liked Zak more....mainly because of his inability to contain the smile on his face while some of the dirtiest, fattest funk/jazz/boogaloo was washing over the entire audience.

EVILFUNK starstarstarstarstar Wed 3/14/2007 11:40AM

EVILFUNK

oh no...the suits are back!

Bylimb Wed 3/14/2007 02:07PM

Bylimb

I'm done after this, I promise ;)
Hey Craikes, It was the WAY he said it, and since we all had long hair and beards, he pointed at us as he said "I ain't no hippy jamband", as if to imply we were...And even if we were "hippies", WTF? His eyes practically bugged out of his head. Obviously, it's hard to write it all out, but I could read the writing on the wall...and I was just letting off some steam writing that "hates hippies" thing...Management had no problem with us setting up, untill he had a problem! I know, I know...never assume anything, because it makes an...

Flat5 Wed 3/14/2007 06:45PM

Flat5

"i ain't no hippy jamband!" fuckin' hilarious

happydestiny Wed 3/14/2007 07:49PM

happydestiny

hippy jambands are for lamers....hahahaha I bet thats what Karl D was thinkin during his series of guest spots all over San fran new years playin with KDTU, galactic, and SCI all in one NYE,sounds like a true hater.

I hate jambands too Karl D, ha! what a joke
peace

‹^› ‹(•¿•)› ‹^› {¬¿¬} starstarstarstarstar Thu 3/15/2007 04:11AM

Now thats just plain crazy!! You cant play with your own liquid lights, not if I KARL DENSON, is playing the headline?
Gimme a break!! Why in gods name would he give a SHIT what the opening band has on the stage?? What if you played a brand of drums he loathed? this is too extreme, I would have told him, when you play, you put what you want on the stage, and when I play, I will do the same. I would have said OK DUDE, lights stay, I guess you can go home!!! See if he really would have left, cos thats just plain stupid!!!
If its true. :P peas....

‹^› ‹(•¿•)› ‹^› {¬¿¬} starstarstarstarstar Thu 3/15/2007 04:18AM

Maybe he didnt want the opening band to look better than him?

gabus! starstarstarstarstar Thu 3/15/2007 08:26AM

gabus!

THE GREATEST BAND EVER. PERIOD. END OF STORY. CAPUT. FUNTOOSH.

‹^› ‹(•¿•)› ‹^› {¬¿¬} starstarstarstarstar Thu 3/15/2007 09:41AM

I will always love GBA regardless. I just wish we didnt have to hear the negativities in regards to personalities.
I say this, cos when i see them play, I am not thinking about personalities, I am thinking about the tunes!! peas.. ya'll

alibaba Thu 3/15/2007 01:54PM

You are all fucking stupid, besides those who avoid this subject entirely. (which I am not, so I may be just as bad). This is the first time I have ever taken the time to read a bunch of people's ego driven crap on these ridiculous discussion boards, but I am so bored at work I thought I would check out the GB tour and happened upon this. It is so FUCKING fabulous that GB has announced a tour. WE are so damn lucky. Because KD once said something to someone about some stupid fucking hippee light.. what the hell does that have to do with anything? Get over yourselves. Do something meaningful. Enjoy the music... I know I will.

Bylimb Thu 3/15/2007 03:55PM

Bylimb

Prince Ali, FABULOUS HE, ALIBABA, genuflect, show some respect, down on one knee...

JGabriel Fri 3/16/2007 06:50AM

JGabriel

damn i have wanted to see greyboy allstars for quite some time now and now's my chance to see em in ny....im going to the bisco shows at highline as well. mmw is opening or "co-headlining". i've listened to a lot more mmw over the past few years, and i could see them opening up, but not the other way around. aiite, chill

danpfunk Fri 3/16/2007 08:28PM

MMW, GBA, who cares who opens. Would you like to funk now, or would you like to funk later?

nwilso starstarstarstarstar Sat 3/17/2007 08:41AM

definitely could use some karl d for all good:)

where's my mule? starstarstarstar Sat 3/17/2007 04:21PM

ab nighttrippin' mule allstars you cannot beat this 24hours of music see you in nawlins'

radioioJAM starstarstarstarstar Tue 4/10/2007 07:38PM

radioioJAM

..WHTTV? now getting big spins on iojam..